GDT: Devils @ Caps - 7:00 PM - MSG

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
For all the Palat talk I actually liked his period and he seemed to work on that line.

The one thing the 4th line demotion might do is light a fire under him. Also maybe lighten the 6M pressure if they just put him there and ask him to play hard.

Reactions: theoptimist

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I know he's a pretty minor problem compared to Jack not running hot, but I'm starting to become over Palat.

Wonder if this is his last year here? It will be a cap dump if we have to trade him, so it will cost us. But I've been saying since last year that there's a chance this will be his last year here. If not this year then next year.

But he's only played 2 games before tonight. So maybe he finishes with a pretty decent season, but you gotta bring more scoring than he does for what he makes. He could easily reach 40 points this year (probably not on the 4th line) but if he doesn't? You gotta think about dumping him. You might HAVE to dump him, not just think about it.

That's the first time I've really sounded off on Palat and his contract I think.
Starting??

Eggtimers

Oct 5, 2024
Pretty bad period overall, but they played well the final 7-8 minutes and it paid off.

Cotter was our best player this period
Our bottom 2 lines were our best lines
Nemec and Casey are still struggling
Good goal by Casey, he's been very bad in the D-zone tonight. It's expected to a certain extent though, he'll learn.
Haula needs to score one of his 2 golden opportunities
This is why I’m not too worried about the team as a whole. Our bottom 6 used to be our weakness . It no longer is . It’s only a matter of when , not if our top 6 gets going , so im not too concerned.
And still having Luke and Pesce waiting .

Reactions: Devs3cups

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He'll be bought out in the summer if I had to bet

Thing is I don't even think a buyout help much unless he's truly just god awful. You only get 2.5 mil in savings next year if you buy him out. Then you still have to go out and find a player to replace him and be as good for 2.5 mil or less. I really don't think a buyout works with Palat. You either find someone that eats all or most of the deal or you stick with it. He was at least a 2.5 mil player last year.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
image0.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Why is there an organizational mandate that Jack and Timo play together?
I don’t think there is.

I think Keefe, like a lot of Devils fans, is thinking, “I put tough modern goal scoring PF with skating playmaker and profit”.

I think most Devils fans agree they don’t fit together well because they both should have the puck a lot and don’t seem like they think the ice the same.

Keefe probably wants that combo to work but if it continues to not then it’ll get broken up. Myself, you, and most fans would break it up already but Keefe is going to want to get this own take on things.

Reactions: Bleedred

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Thing is I don't even think a buyout help much unless he's truly just god awful. You only get 2.5 mil in savings next year if you buy him out. Then you still have to go out and find a player to replace him and be as good for 2.5 mil or less. I really don't think a buyout works with Palat. You either find someone that eats all or most of the deal or you stick with it.
You could pay a team to take him maybe

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Thing is I don't even think a buyout help much unless he's truly just god awful. You only get 2.5 mil in savings next year if you buy him out. Then you still have to go out and find a player to replace him and be as good for 2.5 mil or less. I really don't think a buyout works with Palat. You either find someone that eats all or most of the deal or you stick with it.

If the cap booms, teams will take a player like him as a cap floor thing. Issue is the sweetener is going to be massive considering he has another 2-3 years left on the deal. It depends where the Devils are and how much regret they have with Palat. I like Palat but he was just the wrong signing at the time and it looks like the people who were pissed about that deal from day 1 are gonna be right.

You could pay a team to take him maybe

The sweetener will have to be massive

Reactions: Dialamo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If the cap booms, teams will take a player like him as a cap floor thing. Issue is the sweetener is going to be massive considering he has another 2-3 years left on the deal. It depends where the Devils are and how much regret they have with Palat. I like Palat but he was just the wrong signing at the time and it looks like the people who were pissed about that deal from day 1 are gonna be right.

The sweetener will have to be massive

With him only having a 10 team trade list it could very easily be that no one on his list is a team that wants him if he only puts on competitive teams. If there was a bad team on the list I don't know if the sweetener would really be "that" big to take on 2 years of him. Probably like a 2nd and maybe a little extra.

It really didn't require much foresight to see how stupid of a contract it was. I was one of the harshest on the deal and he's been even worse than I anticipated.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With him only having a 10 team trade list it could very easily be that no one on his list is a team that wants him if he only puts on competitive teams. If there was a bad team on the list I don't know if the sweetener would really be "that" big to take on 2 years of him. Probably like a 2nd and maybe a little extra.

It really didn't require much foresight to see how stupid of a contract it was. I was one of the harshest on the deal and he's been even worse than I anticipated.

Yeah fair, I forgot it was a 10 team trade and yep, Fitz panicked after Gaudreau (RIP) after he went to CBJ. Getting Bjorkstrand out of CBJ would've been the smartest move Fitz could've made after Johnny went there. It is what it is though, that's his worst signing as a GM by far.

Paul Cotter could become what we thought Palat would be. Thatd make replacing him a lot easier

Though I dont know when he needs a raise

Welcome to HF, didn't notice you were a new account till just now lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad