Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I believe it. You could see the emotion running high for him during the game the other night. He knows he's gotta go all out to make this team.

I think I read him and Boyle are close and work out together in the offseason, I'd be interested in how they'd do together on a line for a consistent basis. You could tell Boyle was getting a kick out of Lappin's celebrations after his goals.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
How is that stupid?

Did you miss the games on Monday? Certain players are making very strong cases to stick. It may be true that none of them bring Wood's exact skill set, but the team certainly isn't hurting for bodies. Ray ain't gonna budge.
It was 1 game... 1 preseason game. That doesn’t necessarily give them a “strong case to stick”

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It was 1 game... 1 preseason game. That doesn’t necessarily give them a “strong case to stick”
well wood's skills declined after his suspension. is that a strong case for him to NOT stick? i think he needs to agree to something and get moving. not playing games isn't going to do him any favors when it comes to making an argument for his next contract

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lappin making the team would be a disappointment for me. Does he really have any room left to grow? Id rather an Anderson, Quenneville, McLeod, etc etc be making it

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

One preseason game, plus the prospect challenge and, in general, performance in camp.

They looked a lot better than Wood did sitting on his couch, which is my point.

And if you’re of the opinion that Wood will step right back into the fold after finally getting pen to paper, assuming his spot over the guys who have been grinding out camp and scoring goals in games and participating, you’re most likely mistaken. These coaches don’t operate like that.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lappin making the team would be a disappointment for me. Does he really have any room left to grow? Id rather an Anderson, Quenneville, McLeod, etc etc be making it
I agree with you.

I'm not a fan of Lappin's. Outside of his first 20 or however many games when he was first up in 16-17, he hasn't been anything of note. If he's here and someone like Quenneville also is, that would be fine with me though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Would you be disappointed if he turns into a solid 4th liner? What if he somehow turns into a 15 goal scorer in the bottom 6?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

McLeod clearly needs time to marinate in the AHL, and the same can likely be said for Anderson.

Quenneville looks likely to make the team, especially if the Wood drama drags on.

I’d like to see Lappin make it. It sounds like he’s giving it his all every day, and has connected to Boyle on and off the ice. That feeds right into the culture they’re trying to create here. I’d bet he makes the team.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just love to read on this forum, the knowledge you guys have about this team and its prospects just blows my mind. Sweden is a great hockey country but the fans over here does not come close to you guys. Thanks for all the info you share
I like to poke fun at myself for this, but in order to become as in tuned to a teams prospects as many on this board are, you have to be a major geek.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I like to poke fun at myself for this, but in order to become as in tuned to a teams prospects as many on this board are, you have to be a major geek.
agreed. you'd think the # of posts is a badge of honor, but it's kind of nerdy. no wonder why Saugus left (sad, his account is gone? i can't @ him)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

If it ends up being who gets to be the 13th/14th forward, then I'm fine with Lappin taking pressbox duties and earning an NHL paycheck while the kids get more ice time in the AHL.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood*-Zacha-(tbd)
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen
(tbd)-(tbd)

I think most of us are hoping that Anderson/Quenneville can earn one of the 3rd line spots if Ray doesn't have a potential trade in his back pocket. But Lappin making the team doesn't necessarily mean that none of the kids would.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Wood would not sign if he could. He would not could not sign his name on the dot.
Would you sign it for these years?
Would you sign it for your peers?

I do not like it for these years.
I need more money, can't you hear??
I will not sign it in the rink.
I will not sign it now you fink.
I will not sign this, not today.
I will not sign it, Mr. Ray!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If it ends up being who gets to be the 13th/14th forward, then I'm fine with Lappin taking pressbox duties and earning an NHL paycheck while the kids get more ice time in the AHL.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Wood*-Zacha-(tbd)
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen
(tbd)-(tbd)

I think most of us are hoping that Anderson/Quenneville can earn one of the 3rd line spots if Ray doesn't have a potential trade in his back pocket. But Lappin making the team doesn't necessarily mean that none of the kids would.
I haven't seen Anderson yet, but I did like McLeod's game the other night.

But there is room for taking into account where these players are in there careers.

Lappin, even if he is the 13th fwd who gets spot duty, I think that would be good for his mental state. But if he looks good, 4th line is completely fine by me.

Similar for Q, though I think if Shero expressed that the team really likes his development and he'd be the first call up if he keeps his play up, I think he'd be OK starting the year in Bing.

Guys like Anderson and McLeod, you could stick them in the AHL without any concerns they feel their careers are slipping away.

If we go Bratt, Palms Noesen Lappin Stafford down the right side to start the year I'm OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad