Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Shattenkirk is definitely better than Barrie. Has anyone even argued otherwise?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Shattenkirk is definitely better than Barrie. Has anyone even argued otherwise?

I don't think anyone has. I don't think either one helps all that much though to be honest...

I just think we need a solid all around Defenseman that can give you and honest 25 minutes in all situations from a Dman perspective.

I also think once we have better overall quality forwards it will greatly help with the defense ... I think if we had another Andy Greene it would balance out the defense tremendously...Still holding out hopes that Merrill can be that. He has shown 10 to 20 game stretches of doing exactly that over portions of different seasons. And I would not rule out Santini being able to do what Andy Greene does in time...But we might be 2 or more years away from seeing that come to fruition.

I'm still really positive on this group of defensemen...We unfortunately have no veterans to anchor this defense while the younger players grow. Schlemko, Quincey and Lovejoy has been this management group solution to the stable minute eaters that we've needed and it's been a folly.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd prefer Barrie at $5.5M to Shattenkirk at $7-8M per season, plus Barrie is a few years younger. I agree that I don't think either solved the problem though, and Shattenkirk at big money is essentially appointing him your key guy, which is worrisome. No interest in giving up any top prospects for Barrie though either, he's not worth that.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'm surprised you say even "alright" for a person who puts such weight into shot basedan stats....over the last 3 years he's at 46.3 CF% good for 8th among Avalanche Defensemen to have played more than 1000 minutes. Over the last 3 years Barrie is 106 out of 115 in CF% for Dmen that played 3000 + minutes. For comparison Lovejoy is ranked 86 and Severson 65 (and if anyone is curious Shattenkirk is ranked 13th)

Barrie has put up 78 5v5 points during that time though and a 1.13 points per 60. That puts him 9th in P60 over the last 3 years...impressive but
the numbers seem to show a very one dimensional player?

Colorado is dreadful possession wise. So Barrie's CF% is naturally going to be lower (same with Severson's). Severson's relative to the Devils is great. Barrie's relative to Colorado has been right around average the last two years.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
What u guys think the devil forward lines look like next year?

I think this year is the hardest to project that its been in years. There's too many variables that have yet to take place where we're going to be active and involved. We know that Ray stated that there's going to be changes. We still have the expansion draft, entry draft, UFA, and things like the likely Kovy trade + any other potential trades that represent very strong possibilities if not guarantees of bringing in forwards. Then we have training camp where more than a couple guys will be serious threats to take one of a handful of realistically open roster spots.

Using the players on the team today + assuming #1 makes the team, I'd reckon that there's around 3 forwards that aren't on the team yet that will be and they wont all be from within the org. The top 6 is probably easier to project, but even there we could see something happen i.e. no one expected the Palmieri trade 2 years ago + #1 potentially bumps someone down. I expect at least 1-2 brought in via UFA/trade alone and Id not be surprised if a camp tryout or prospect no one is considering today to make the roster. It could even be more depending on how all the different situations play out. There's probably 100s of hypotheticals that one could think of that could alter any potential projection today.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd prefer Barrie at $5.5M to Shattenkirk at $7-8M per season, plus Barrie is a few years younger. I agree that I don't think either solved the problem though, and Shattenkirk at big money is essentially appointing him your key guy, which is worrisome. No interest in giving up any top prospects for Barrie though either, he's not worth that.
I think if we were to add a Barrie we would be in the exact same situation of needing a stable anchor type of defenseman to kill penalties and be a rock for long minutes.... for too many years it's been Greene and that's it.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Shattenkirk is not going to get $7-8M per year. Shero would tell him to **** off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Shattenkirk is not going to get $7-8M per year. Shero would tell him to **** off.

Yandle just got 7 years 44.5. I'm assuming that is going to be Shattenkirk's comparable.

That's 6.35...Now you have to persuade him to come to a lottery team....7 to 8 seems exactly the range for NJ to be a player? No?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We need another RW, Palmieri-esque. We've got decent young talent but none really ready, and Bennett is all right in a 3rd line role (or even a 4th line role) but I wouldn't rely on him in a 2nd line role.

Top 6 RW and top 4 LHD seem the most pressing needs to me.

Maybe you slot Patrick on the right side in year one ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hall Zacha Palmieri
Henrique Zajac Patrick
Quenneville Mcleod Cammalleri

Wood- Blandisi/Coleman-Lappin/Speers

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What is Miles Wood absolute upside?

What does he likely become?

My opinion only :)

Too hard to tell. Unbridled raw package with untraditional pedigree and path to the NHL makes it very difficult to predict.

Skates like a rocket North/South, very physical, not afraid to get his nose dirty...His hands are lacking and I question his IQ although that could very well be just inexperience. Not sure about his shot...Floor I would say is a useful 4th liner in a Ryan Carter mold... top end a Kreider power forward. He really reminds me of Randy McKay in a lot of ways.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Brendan Smith, that was a good mention last thread. He'd probably be our best LHD in all honesty if we signed him.

I've been thinking he's a good option for a while, now. He would be a notable upgrade on any of the bottom four we played this year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What are everyone's ideal lines? Including free agents/trades/expansion draft

Hall - Patrick - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Eberle/Radulov
Henrique - McLeod - Bennett/Cam
Wood - Blandisi - Bennett/Speers/Noesen/Lappin

Greene - Shattenkirk
Merrill - Severson
X - Santini

X = someone we get for Kovy

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I've always liked Brendan Smith. He'd be my back up plan if we couldn't get a better LHD through a trade prior to the expansion draft

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Top 9 preliminary look

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Patrick - Quenneville
Bennett - Zacha - Henrique

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Switch him over to RW. I'm most interested in rekindling the Brandon connection if NJ does pick Patrick. Cammalleri is another question mark.

No. Quenneville should not be transitioned to RW while he's still developing. If anything move cammy to RW, at least he's played there in the NHL before

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've always liked Brendan Smith. He'd be my back up plan if we couldn't get a better LHD through a trade prior to the expansion draft

Agreed. In fact, I'd still consider picking him up even if we DID get a better LHD thru trade. I think he's solid, and would probably come at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad