Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Who's gonna be the defenders on the power play? Severson is obvious, but after that could it be Auvitu if he makes the team. Is Quincey a PP guy? Then possibly Moore or Merrill I would guess, whichever one makes the team lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who's gonna be the defenders on the power play? Severson is obvious, but after that could it be Auvitu if he makes the team. Is Quincey a PP guy? Then possibly Moore or Merrill I would guess, whichever one makes the team lol.

I could see a non-PP guy being put onto the PP, the same way Schlemko was last year. That seemed to work out.

When I say a non-PP guy, I mean a non-PP playing defenseman up till now.

I still think Severson is the best offensive guy back there.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I could see a non-PP guy being put onto the PP, the same way Schlemko was last year. That seemed to work out.

When I say a non-PP guy, I mean a non-PP playing defenseman up till now.

I still think Severson is the best offensive guy back there.

Schlemko did OK on the PP last year because his skating and puck rushing from behind Cory's net to the PP zone was very good. While in the zone, he wasn't that good though, he kind of took a back seat and when you think about it, NJ were probably smart not to get him involved. His passing and shot is average.

I think John Moore can take over the skating / puck rushing role. But ideally we need a Shattenkirk or Yandle type player that can lug the puck up the ice and also has a good pass and shot from the point.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Doubt Ducks trade Lindholm but I would offer the moon. We don't have the assets other than Hall, but even then we'd have to add. Ducks are crazy not to have locked him up long-term, already a top 10 Dman in the league. No interest in Fowler or a guy like Bieksa. Depres' injuries concern me.
Does Severson and a first get done and is Lindholm wort it?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Doubt Ducks trade Lindholm but I would offer the moon. We don't have the assets other than Hall, but even then we'd have to add. Ducks are crazy not to have locked him up long-term, already a top 10 Dman in the league. No interest in Fowler or a guy like Bieksa. Depres' injuries concern me.

If we were to make a big trade I don't think it would happen unless we are winning the trade. Subtracting from the NHL roster just creates another hole. We aren't one player away so we can't keep doing that. I'm dangling the **** out of that 1st rounder though, meh draft and I'm expecting a 15+ pick.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
They want to make a move to free up space to sign Lindholm, not trade Lindholm.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Leo Scaglione Jr. ‏@LeoScaglioneJr 29s30 seconds ago
#NJDevils on D: Greene-Lovejoy, Moore-Quincey, Auvitu-Merrill. Goalies: Schneider/Lindback.

wheres Severson at?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Cammy on Zacha's wing really intrigues me.

Curious to see how they look. Cammy has looked like dog **** in his couple games so far (at least what I have seen of them - but preseason, I know). Also interested at whether they liked the boucher-zajac-palmieri line enough down the stretch to start them together for the reg season. And if that is the case, who goes with zacha-cammy, if they become a thing. What the fourth line ends up being as well. So basically the entire forward unit up in question in some fashion.

On the backend, does Greene go with Lovejoy or severson? If the former, where does severson fit in? I would think the locks for top six are Greene, Lovejoy, Quincey, Moore. Then two of severson, merrill, auvitu join them (the other is the odd man out). I would say if auvitu keeps showing what he has so far, that will be the seven man unit.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I wouldn't be surprised if Camm is going 50% the first few games after nine months off. I think the elders might tend to dog it a little bit in preseason anyway.

I want annihilation of the Rangers tonight. I know it's preseason and doesn't matter for squat, but still. Bring it.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Cammalleri with Zacha is very intriguing. I wonder if the staff is considering rolling 3 offensive lines with Hall/Henrique, Zajac-Palmieri, and Cammy-Zacha as the 3 "pairs" going into the season..

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Looks as if they really want to see how Speers plays in a scoring role. This is big for him. Also, if Zacha can take 2C duties away from Zajac, Travis will be where he belongs.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Cammalleri with Zacha is very intriguing. I wonder if the staff is considering rolling 3 offensive lines with Hall/Henrique, Zajac-Palmieri, and Cammy-Zacha as the 3 "pairs" going into the season..

This is what I've been hoping for.

Hall - Rico - xxx
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - xxx

Cammalleri on the first pp.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This is what I've been hoping for.

Hall - Rico - xxx
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - xxx

Cammalleri on the first pp.

That's exactly what I've been hoping for. It seems like we may be getting that tonight.

Updated lines from Andrew Gross:
Taylor Hall-Adam Henrique-Beau Bennett
Reid Boucher-Travis Zajac-Kyle Palmeri
Mike Cammalleri-Pavel Zacha-Blake Speers
Joseph Blandisi-Jacob Josefson-Devante Smith-Pelly

I've been wanting to see Bennett on the 1st line to see what he does with them. Very excited to see what Bouch on the 2nd line can do too. I was expecting to see DSP on the 3rd, but Speers there is very interesting.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm curious as to how much Speers would have to show to make the team. I don't think it'll ever happen but theoretically if he puts up a couple of great performances in the upcoming games would he have a shot? We are super thin on RW and if he shows he can step up then maybe it's something the coaching staff is considering.

I'm going to need a detailed account of how this game goes tomorrow, hoping for a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad