Prospect Info: Devellano comments on Anthony Mantha

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
For arguments sake, if the Wings have soured on him or say Mantha is upset by the comments and requests a trade (ie. Baertschi), what's his value?

The only time Ken Holland has given up on a prospect is if the player requests a trade (Jarnkrok), complains about icetime (Backman), or is forced to go to waivers due to his age/contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The only time Ken Holland has given up on a prospect is if the player requests a trade (Jarnkrok), complains about icetime (Backman), or is forced to go to waivers due to his age/contract.

Pure speculation, but I am wondering if this is what brought on the tough love for the first time.

The Wings brass shows up for the first time in a while, likely met with some of the players. Both Babcock and Holland then offer up to Kaiser they are disappointed with him this year and he needs a big off-season. Jimmy D as Jimmy D does goes a little harder.

But still a part of me wonders if Mantha let slip he wasn't being put in the right situations under Blashill. Figuring he has #1 first round pick status and frustrated with how the season went for stretches. He proceeds to be whack-a-moled by all the higher Detroit brass, fall in line and work harder. Not exactly a message they don't send fairly often.

Those guys had options in Sweden to help force the Wings hand. Mantha isn't fleeing for the KHL especially with the ruble in the toilet. So this is different, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Anthony opened up a little too much about his struggles at times throughout the year to somebody and they didn't like it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Pure speculation, but I am wondering if this is what brought on the tough love for the first time.

The Wings brass shows up for the first time in a while, likely met with some of the players. Both Babcock and Holland then offer up to Kaiser they are disappointed with him this year and he needs a big off-season. Jimmy D as Jimmy D does goes a little harder.

But still a part of me wonders if Mantha let slip he wasn't being put in the right situations under Blashill. Figuring he has #1 first round pick status and frustrated with how the season went for stretches. He proceeds to be whack-a-moled by all the higher Detroit brass, fall in line and work harder. Not exactly a message they don't send fairly often.

Those guys had options in Sweden to help force the Wings hand. Mantha isn't fleeing for the KHL especially with the ruble in the toilet. So this is different, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Anthony opened up a little too much about his struggles at times throughout the year to somebody and they didn't like it.

Perhaps, but I think Holland and Co. made the mistake last season of insinuating that Mantha could actually start in the NHL rather than saying something more ambiguous like he has for all the other prospects. So now Mantha is coming into training camp thinking he might be NHL-ready and then isn't able to recover mentally from the injury and being sent to Grand Rapids. Part of the blame falls on Holland if this is indeed the case. Mantha is the first prospect in a long, long time I saw being held by management to a higher standard coming out of Junior.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Perhaps, but I think Holland and Co. made the mistake last season of insinuating that Mantha could actually start in the NHL rather than saying something more ambiguous like he has for all the other prospects. So now Mantha is coming into training camp thinking he might be NHL-ready and then isn't able to recover mentally from the injury and being sent to Grand Rapids. Part of the blame falls on Holland if this is indeed the case. Mantha is the first prospect in a long, long time I saw being held by management to a higher standard coming out of Junior.

Same thing happened with Kindl. He followed it up with the worst plus minus in the entire AHL. So Mantha's not quite as bad as Kindl but it's not a great sign. If Athanasiou makes the Wings in training camp Mantha's gonna have to hope Larkin turns pro this year. Without AA and Larkin there will be nowhere to hide.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Maybe it's tough love, maybe it's Jimmy going senile, but why would you say this to the media?

Maybe Mantha owned up to it, but he may not be motivated by being in the AHL. On most other teams, a prospect that did what he did in the OHL would have some more NHL games by now.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I am a little confused by Jimmy D's comments, just based on the circumstances behind Mantha's season. A broken leg will cripple any athlete from training and working out. He must know that, so i suspect there was something else that bothered him that caused him to make those comments regarding Mantha.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Same thing happened with Kindl. He followed it up with the worst plus minus in the entire AHL. So Mantha's not quite as bad as Kindl but it's not a great sign. If Athanasiou makes the Wings in training camp Mantha's gonna have to hope Larkin turns pro this year. Without AA and Larkin there will be nowhere to hide.
I think AA hurts more than he helps. He's a great talent, but he only has two modes: standing still and WARP SPEED. If you're a guy with questionable mobility post-injury, his incredible hustle just leaves you in the dust. I think part of why Mantha looks so tentative is because he knows he can't keep up with AA. For instance: if Mantha goes back on the dump-in and helps out, he gets the puck to AA and can't catch back up/looks slow and out of position (this is how those AA end-to-end highlights start). and if he cherrypicks and waits for AA to get the puck and catch up to him (and let's be honest, this happens too), he's being lazy and that's bad too. In essence: he can make the right play, get hammered on for being slow, and not score—and get criticized for not scoring. or he can cheat, make the wrong play, and potentially score, and at least then he's fulfilling some kind of expectation.

So in a certain sense, he cannot win right now. It's not like Mantha wants to do nothing on his shifts, it's that he cannot adapt to what he's got right now. I think he needs an offseason to get his speed back, because it's probably worse than usual since he had that lower body injury last week or so.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice comments from Devellano. Time to push the kid work harder.

Same "stupid" comments worked well against Howard few seasons ago. We saw a best season from him right after.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Nice comments from Devellano. Time to push the kid work harder.

Same "stupid" comments worked well against Howard few seasons ago. We saw a best season from him right after.

The comments can have a negative effect for a 20 year-old prospect versus a 6-year NHL veteran. It's not like Detroit is known for going to the press to say bad things about their players.

Oct 18, 2006
Meh. Not at all surprising.

I've thought he's been overhyped for a long time now. That's why I expected him to have an average AHL season. People expected him to continue his domination from juniors, even though people said his work ethic there was an issue at times.

Unless he wants to work harder he'll never reach his potential. Who knows when he'll realise this.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
My mistake. I was under the impression that both were playing the wing. I did watch the capitals a few times and I could have sworn Burakovsky was centering Kuz for most of the season.

Either way, my point still stands. Fisher was the 60th Ranked C and scored 3 more points than Sheahan.

Sheahan is already a low end 2C in the NHL

Uh, your point doesn't stand at all when you're comparing him to a former 50+ point center who put up 3 more points in TWENTY FEWER games than Sheahan did.

Sheahan being 73rd is indicative of what he is right now offensively - a 3rd line center. Not even a low-end 2C yet.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
They said the same thing about Tatar a few years ago and he's now practically an NHL 30 goal scorer.

Said the same thing about Martin Frk and Frk got depressed about it and showed up in terrible shape, only to be sent down to the ECHL.

This is the proverbial "fork in the road" that they issue to every player that they see a tremendous upside in. And, as always, it's up to the individual to respond.

Put it this way. The kid, if he doesn't get hurt early on, was going on a line with either Zetterberg or Datsyuk to start the season. And now he's garbage?

The Red Wings wait 2-4 years for any other prospect, and this one is no different.

we like our team*

wasn't it devellano who likened nhl players to cattle during the lockout

minitrucker83

Apr 2, 2012
They said the same thing about Tatar a few years ago and he's now practically an NHL 30 goal scorer.

Said the same thing about Martin Frk and Frk got depressed about it and showed up in terrible shape, only to be sent down to the ECHL.

This is the proverbial "fork in the road" that they issue to every player that they see a tremendous upside in. And, as always, it's up to the individual to respond.

Put it this way. The kid, if he doesn't get hurt early on, was going on a line with either Zetterberg or Datsyuk to start the season. And now he's garbage?

The Red Wings wait 2-4 years for any other prospect, and this one is no different.
I agree, Tatar has commented many times about Babs being hard on him at times but he took it as constructive criticism. The result has been Tatar improving his game in many ways, hopefully mantha does the same.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The comments can have a negative effect for a 20 year-old prospect versus a 6-year NHL veteran. It's not like Detroit is known for going to the press to say bad things about their players.

"For whom much is given, much is expected."

Mantha has the talent, now let's stop wasting it.

Work work work harder. Critisism makes you work harder... or you are mentally weak and ready for easier leagues.

I'm all for pushing Mantha like mad, I expect highest on him. If he pans out he pans out at high level, if not, let's move on and go with another prospects.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
The Mantha criticism is not purely a function of statistical production. The guy simply does not want to move his feet and engage. Watch him closely. Unless he is moving in transition, you will rarely see him take more than two strides at a time. I understand playing with structure and I understand not skating yourself out of position, but Mantha really needs to contribute more without the puck, which requires that he move his ****ing feet in a timely fashion. He will engage and battle if the puck is near him, but he does not want to pursue the puck for purposes of engaging in such contests or to support his teammates. He is also very slow to close gaps on the fore check.

Even if you can't find the time and space to make plays with the puck, you can find ways to contribute to your team's performance through aggressive fore checking, physical play and responsible defense. This is how junior skill players become 4th line NHLers. I think we saw this a bit with Jurco and the Wings. When he was having a difficult time playing with the puck he realized that he had to find other ways to contribute if he wanted to stay up. This is when his physical game really came to life and you noticed him more on the fore check. I was hoping that Mantha would at some point realize that what worked in the Q will not work in the AHL. Thankfully he is still very young.
i hope they have some reason to think he will respond positively to the criticism. different players need to be handled differently.

i have only seen him a little, but i got the same impression. he was like a more extreme version of franzen. more talented, bigger, faster, but also more of a floater.

that was also a very common comment in the thread about him before his draft. sometimes he looked amazing and dominant, but usually invisible, even in games when he scored a few points.

Not sure those are the best comments to make considering he could be a trade piece but it seems like theyre trying to go tough love on him which might help. He still shows flashes of why he is such an elite prospect, hes huge, can skate and is hard to take the puck from. Like many have said, I'm not going to worry until he doesnt improve next season.

Hes been a late bloomer every league hes played in, this off season is huge for him. Had he not broken his leg he was competing for a spot on Detroit. I'm willing to gie a bit of a mulligan on this season (although my expectations are lower now).
agree

he also seemed to me to have good offensive awareness in addition to great physical talent. if he played hard, he would be a rick nash type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00