Proposal: detroits 2025 1st for a 2024 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i want to get out of rebuild mode and towards competing sooner concerning prospects arriving (not interested in adding ufa to compete sooner) , thusly wanting the 2025 1st traded for a 2024 . so wondering if theres a fit , and at what position in this 1st round would pick be at ?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
i want to get out of rebuild mode and towards competing sooner concerning prospects arriving (not interested in adding ufa to compete sooner) , thusly wanting the 2025 1st traded for a 2024 . so wondering if theres a fit , and at what position in this 1st round would pick be at ?

I’d rather move that 1st for a good young player to help the team now. Someone 26 and under.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
well are you looking for a top 15 or bottom 15 pick? totally different prices
im wondering what fans see detroits 2025 1st being worth in this 2024 draft ?

I’d rather move that 1st for a good young player to help the team now. Someone 26 and under.
the way i think is im gunning for a home run out of the draft as opposed to a safer lower ceiling trade for a more known player whose ceilings more predictable

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I'd rather not move the 2025 1st for a 2024 1st, particularly if that pick isn't going to be an impact player to help us this season (it won't be). If we have to move that pick, I want someone who can contribute immediately to making us a better team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

the way i think is im gunning for a home run out of the draft as opposed to a safer lower ceiling trade for a more known player whose ceilings more predictable

This is not the draft, my guy. It’s a very thin draft this year. Next year is looking better already.

Reactions: Henkka and SoupNazi

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If the goal is to speed up the rebuild, trade them both for a legitimately impactful player in the 22-25yo range.
Yup, try and pull off the same kind of deals Montreal did for Newhook and Dach, and hope things work out.

Tomasino, Holtz, Zegras, Rossi, Lundell, Holloway, Necas, Kakko, Krebs... so many options at just about every price point.

----

Alternately, I could see Montreal moving Winnipeg's 1st (26th overall) for a chance at a better pick next year.

Winnipeg's 1st in 2024 for Detroit's 1st in 2025, top-5 protected. If it's a non-top 5 pick but still in the top 10, Detroit also gets Pittsburgh's 2nd in 2025. Otherwise it's 1 for 1.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Draft picks for the current draft are always worth more than the following year.

Detroit finished with the 15th pick this season, but you have to assume that they're a team that could at least contend to make the playoffs next season. So you're probably assuming something in the late teens/early 20's next season...with some risk it could be mid-20's. Moving up a few spots for a draft a year later is not a deal most teams make. As such, I don't think any team with a first round pick this year makes that trade with Detroit for their 2025 pick. Maybe if they added a 3rd rounder some team with a late 1st round pick makes the deal...but even then I doubt it. Just too much risk to delay a pick for a season with potentially little upside.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

I mean, lets say for the sake of argument, detroit makes playoffs next year and gets the 20th pick. that has to go into the thought process of gm's. they could end up giving say the 10th pick this year but in return get the 20th pick next year. so while it could be possible, someone will have to add

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Draft picks for the current draft are always worth more than the following year.

Detroit finished with the 15th pick this season, but you have to assume that they're a team that could at least contend to make the playoffs next season. So you're probably assuming something in the late teens/early 20's next season...with some risk it could be mid-20's. Moving up a few spots for a draft a year later is not a deal most teams make. As such, I don't think any team with a first round pick this year makes that trade with Detroit for their 2025 pick. Maybe if they added a 3rd rounder some team with a late 1st round pick makes the deal...but even then I doubt it. Just too much risk to delay a pick for a season with potentially little upside.
IMO the upside for the team trading them a pick is that Detroit might well tread water, and for example in my proposal they'd get 26th of one year for the 15th pick of another. That's a significant upgrade.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yup, try and pull off the same kind of deals Montreal did for Newhook and Dach, and hope things work out.

Tomasino, Holtz, Zegras, Rossi, Lundell, Holloway, Necas, Kakko, Krebs... so many options at just about every price point.

----

Alternately, I could see Montreal moving Winnipeg's 1st (26th overall) for a chance at a better pick next year.

Winnipeg's 1st in 2024 for Detroit's 1st in 2025, top-5 protected. If it's a non-top 5 pick but still in the top 10, Detroit also gets Pittsburgh's 2nd in 2025. Otherwise it's 1 for 1.
Two firsts you should be angling far higher than Newhook/Dach. Like Suzuki tier. Add a kid if needed, but you don't blow 2 1sts for question marks.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Drafting another player in the 2nd round this year does nothing to make the team more competitive next year. Not to mention a trade like this never happens.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

this is what i was wondering ! next phase is what if detroit adds something , say berggren whose rumored to be on the outs ? or , this years 1st / 15th to move way up . all just wild speculating but the draft / ufa season does that . and we know gms are going thru all these options right now = they aint sleepin much

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well that depends what the 1sts are. Dach was traded for 13th overall+ more
And '24 is 15th. '25 is the question mark, but the Wings also have a highly rated stable of kids that there aren't enough spots for. Two 1sts and an A/B tier kid should land you way higher than Dach.

And Dach now has less value than when he was traded initially due to injuries.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Two firsts you should be angling far higher than Newhook/Dach. Like Suzuki tier. Add a kid if needed, but you don't blow 2 1sts for question marks.
I know ? I listed a series of potential targets at all kinds of price points...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I know ? I listed a series of potential targets at all kinds of price points...
You did. But none of those guys are 2 1sts tier (unless they are late 20s or 30s overall but those aren't the picks the Wings are playing with right now).

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You did. But none of those guys are 2 1sts tier (unless they are late 20s or 30s overall but those aren't the picks the Wings are playing with right now).
I'd say Zegras and Necas are there. I could've included Ehlers in my list, and he'd be in that "2 1sts" tier, too.

Not saying it's 2 first round picks straight up for those players and nothing more - trades a complicated, after all, but those could be the main assets in the deal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nobody is trading a top 20 for an unknown location next yr on a team who coukd make the playoffs.

A late 1st like 25-32 a team might t
Roll the dice

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Said about basically every draft ever lol

Not really.

Drafts that tend to be defense-heavy in the first 12 or so picks of the first round are usually bad draft years. 2012 and 2018 are good examples of that. Both produced a lot of good defensemen in the top 10 or 12, but many below average forwards.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd do #25 + #39 for the wings top-10 protected 1st next year, with the caveat that if it's top-10 it rolls over to your unprotected 2026 1st.

Reactions: deca guard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad