Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I think hronek is better. Expect 50-55. Is he even in the Ohl next season also how good will Erie be? It's hard to expect 60 from a dman

When you have players like DeBrincat and Strome the points will be flowing for everyone. He may get promoted to the first pairing but I don't see him hitting 60 points, especially if those two guys leave. He's hit his OHL peak. Expect 40-50 points.

Hronek's achievement was much more impressive as he was second in scoring for the Spirit, 10 points ahead of Bennett.

Hronek needs to play in the AHL next year to give him a new challenge and goals to achieve. Sambrook should spend one more in the O.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
When you have players like DeBrincat and Strome the points will be flowing for everyone. He may get promoted to the first pairing but I don't see him hitting 60 points, especially if those two guys leave. He's hit his OHL peak. Expect 40-50 points.

Hronek's achievement was much more impressive as he was second in scoring for the Spirit, 10 points ahead of Bennett.

Hronek needs to play in the AHL next year to give him a new challenge and goals to achieve. Sambrook should spend one more in the O.

I believe Strome will be gone for sure. He is 20 now, I'm not sure what the cutoff is but if he's not in the NHL I believe he will be in the AHL. Debrincat can't be too much younger than Strome if at all.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Hey guys I'm doing some research into Red Wings Prospects before the draft. I was hoping you guys could rank your top 10-15 prospects for me. Let me know!

jaster

Hanas chirps per 60 record holder
Jun 8, 2007
Hey guys I'm doing some research into Red Wings Prospects before the draft. I was hoping you guys could rank your top 10-15 prospects for me. Let me know!

Personal list:

1. Svechnikov
2. Hronek
3. Cholowski
4. Saarijarvi
5. Bertuzzi
6. Nosek
7. Russo
8. Smith
9. Hicketts
10. Holmstrom

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Looks pretty good. I'd slip sambrook in there somewhere

Yeah, I really had a top-11 with Sambrook, had a hard time cutting one guy out. There's not a lot of separation between him and the other 3 at the bottom of my list imo.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I personally don't have Sambrook in my top ten. No disrespect to him but the list above is really good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd have Sambrook over Smith with how they did this year in the OHL.

Smith needs to be more productive, and bounce back next year. Being a 2nd round pick alone shouldn't put you in the top 10. Nastasiuk rode that out for awhile too.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'd have Sambrook over Smith with how they did this year in the OHL.

Smith needs to be more productive, and bounce back next year. Being a 2nd round pick alone shouldn't put you in the top 10. Nastasiuk rode that out for awhile too.

I agree with that sentiment. Smith was pretty disappointing this season by all accounts (not to mention his stat line relative to the previous season). I had him ranked much higher right after he got drafted. Meanwhile, I really like everything I'm hearing about Sambrook.

On the other hand, I was at prospects camp in TC last fall for a few days and watched Smith pretty closely. First, he's a heckuva physical speciman. Looks like a free safety. Second, I did like what I saw out of him on the ice. He just clearly needs to keep working on things. If he has the hockey IQ to manage that, long-term, he should do alright.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with that sentiment. Smith was pretty disappointing this season by all accounts (not to mention his stat line relative to the previous season). I had him ranked much higher right after he got drafted. Meanwhile, I really like everything I'm hearing about Sambrook.

On the other hand, I was at prospects camp in TC last fall for a few days and watched Smith pretty closely. First, he's a heckuva physical speciman. Looks like a free safety. Second, I did like what I saw out of him on the ice. He just clearly needs to keep working on things. If he has the hockey IQ to manage that, long-term, he should do alright.

I like some of the tools, but I think I need to see them come together a little more. Guelph should be better next year, hopefully that helps his numbers.

But when Sambrook has almost as many pts as Smith as a defenseman, with virtually no PP time (32 of his 40 pts were at ES), then it's hard for me to discredit that.

I might consider having both over Holmstrom in the top 10, since he has missed a ton of development time to injuries, and made very little progress with his skating. I guess those 3 are all probably pretty close, like you said.

I've also warmed up considerably to Hicketts, he did much better than what I expected for his first season in the AHL.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

The biggest problem with Smith is he is one of the ugliest skaters you would ever want to see.

Yeah he is big and strong. yeah he will go to the high traffic areas. Yeah he has a hard shot and decent offensive instincts. But hockey is getting softer and softer every year and turning into a figure skating competition. Something this dude has no chance at and he doesn't exactly have offensive numbers to distract you from that fact.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like some of the tools, but I think I need to see them come together a little more. Guelph should be better next year, hopefully that helps his numbers.

But when Sambrook has almost as many pts as Smith as a defenseman, with virtually no PP time (32 of his 40 pts were at ES), then it's hard for me to discredit that.

I might consider having both over Holmstrom in the top 10, since he has missed a ton of development time to injuries, and made very little progress with his skating. I guess those 3 are all probably pretty close, like you said.

I've also warmed up considerably to Hicketts, he did much better than what I expected for his first season in the AHL.

It is probably mean but I cannot put either Holmstom or Hicketts in my top 10... One cannot skate and the other is just too small.

Keep in mind I have always said I thought Hicketts would be a dynamite player at the AHL level. I think next step is a really big deal to him. NHL players skill levels, stick control and angle understanding are completely unparalleled. I think you can get by in almost any league with the kind of worker he is and with his hockey IQ, but I have real doubts he hits the minimum requirements to make it at the NHL level. Again I hope I am wrong.

We will see what kind of gains Holmstrom can make skating wise, he has to make some to make it on this side of the pond. I do have more faith he can do that than Hicketts overcoming his odds.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Hicketts is super short, but his height does not concern me much. He is built like a brick **** house much like MSL. When a short guy can carry adequate muscle mass without being slow (which doesn't happen often), I'm not worried much.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Hicketts is super short, but his height does not concern me much. He is built like a brick **** house much like MSL. When a short guy can carry adequate muscle mass without being slow (which doesn't happen often), I'm not worried much.

As a defenseman with no reach it should though

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

As a defenseman with no reach it should though

Yeah if he played wing that wouldn't matter much. But the NHL is a game of inches and he is a couple short in terms of reach and some other things. I like him, I like the way he plays a lot. I think the next step though is going to be really hard for a guy that size, no matter how strong he is.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What stood out for me when I watched Hicketts was his IQ. He reads the game so well; he has great instinct in the attacking zone and rarely seems to be caught out of position. Offensively he has great skills. I really like his creativity and the puck skills are sollid. He consistently gets him self into position to break up plays in the D-zone despite his size. With his low center of gravity he is deceptively strong in front of the net and on the puck. For me it all comes down to skating. He is a good skater (great lateral movement imo) but getting a little quicker will help him overcome his size and open a lot of doors for the kid

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Francois Boullion.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5371

I think Hicketts can at least be similar to him.

Bouillon is reported to be one of the strongest guys to come through the NHL in the last couple decades. He tests off the charts and played with a very long stick if I remember right.

I get it he was 5'8" so lets draw the comparison. It is also worth noting I have never heard a single person not question Hicketts actually being 5'8". Time will tell, he is certainly smart. Hicketts also will be a great pro either in the AHL or Europe if he cannot transition to the NHL. Bouillon is a really rugged dude though, I know Hicketts has some jam but Bouillon had a ton of it and the dude was a tank.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Bouillon is reported to be one of the strongest guys to come through the NHL in the last couple decades. He tests off the charts and played with a very long stick if I remember right.

I get it he was 5'8" so lets draw the comparison. It is also worth noting I have never heard a single person not question Hicketts actually being 5'8". Time will tell, he is certainly smart. Hicketts also will be a great pro either in the AHL or Europe if he cannot transition to the NHL. Bouillon is a really rugged dude though, I know Hicketts has some jam but Bouillon had a ton of it and the dude was a tank.

I'm not very high on Hicketts to be honest. Just wanted to point out that it isn't unprecedented. That and Hicketts has a similar build, the fire hydrant.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Weaver might be a better comp, although I think Hicketts is a better puck mover.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not very high on Hicketts to be honest. Just wanted to point out that it isn't unprecedented. That and Hicketts has a similar build, the fire hydrant.

Weaver might be a better comp, although I think Hicketts is a better puck mover.

I do think he is a better puck mover. I think both those guys were excellent defenders though. I just really worry about the reach. It would be one thing if we kept hearing he played with a huge stick. Again time will tell, I think he will get a crack at it at some point because he should be an excellent pro hockey player that just might not extend to the best league in the world.

Those guys are big time exceptions, even then they were best suited to 3rd pairing defensive D roles in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad