Detroit Red Wings Couldn’t sell-out home opener.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Jeez, it's like other sports don't exist. Detroit's baseball team is in the playoffs, so the focus is on them. Took away from the Red Wings attendance for sure. A team like Toronto probably wouldn't sell out either if Toronto Blue Jays played in a playoff game in town same night.
A nuclear apocalypse could be happening and the Leafs would still sell out.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bro we were selling out when Toskala was our #1 goalie and Matt Stajan was our #1 Center. Leafs will always sell out, people have mentioned the Tigers game but an original 6 team being unable to sell out the home openers ? Had it been another market I don't think it's a big deal, considering it's O6, a bit of a red flag.
Leafs are fortunate to have a large a population for only one team.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The red wings feed was on Sportsnet, all the commentators wanted to talk about was the Tigers. I feel like 91% is still very impressive given the situation.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not selling ? Businesses rely on sales.

You mean the home opener will be a sign of them having issues selling tickets, moving forward? I don't recall hearing any issues with attendance for them before this. As many poster pointed out, it was a very rare night where a cinderella team that captivated the city/state happened to be hosting a very meaningful playoff game at the same time as the Wings.

Detroit Red Wings were born 99 years ago. I think we can let MLB Tigers have one night of attention.

The Tigers are older.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I almost can't think of a worse time.

Boreball shouldn't be one of those things.
Watch the playoffs this year, really try and get into it. Each pitch matters, the intensity is very entertaining.

Regular season baseball I'm right there with ya. Couldn't be more boring.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t blame them. They’re still going with the insanity of starting Husso, who allowed a softy of the year candidate to Marcus Pettersson.

I’m pretty confident Dr. Evil is the odds on favorite right now to be the first head coach firing.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Last time the Tigers were in the playoffs, they played an ALCS game against the Red Sox at the same time the Red Wings hosted a Tuesday night game against Columbus — not the home opener, just a throwaway October game. The Wings game still sold out.

Say what you will about distraction, but 2000 empty seats at the home opener is a huge step backward from what the Wings once were. That team needs to get its act together before it gets worse.
Detroit loses about 35,000 in population per year. It adds up.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
For a team that hasn't been relevant in over 5 years that's pretty good

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Jeez, it's like other sports don't exist. Detroit's baseball team is in the playoffs, so the focus is on them. Took away from the Red Wings attendance for sure. A team like Toronto probably wouldn't sell out either if Toronto Blue Jays played in a playoff game in town same night.
As a Canadian living outside the GTA, all I gotta ask is, there) are other sports???

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nah dude. If the building ain't 100% packed, that means your market is garbage. Other successful teams or economics have never never been given as an excuse to anyone south of St. Louis ever

You see how stupid I sound? Imagine hearing it for 20 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad