Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #3 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Edvinsson by a lot

he's a lot closer to Raymond than he is to the others after this

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
These Berggren votes are weird to me. What criteria are you guys voting on that have him over two potential blue chippers? Just how close he is to being ready and his floor of being a sure middle sixer? Not criticizing your votes, just curious what you value when voting.
Expressen rated their 50 best SHL players twice the past season:

Seider was 9th, Berggren 13th.
Seider was 2nd, Berggren 9th

Aftonbladet did it once;

Berggren was 4th, Seider was 13th.

Prospects like William Eklund, Nils Lundkvist and Lucas Raymond were not close.

I think many underrate what Berggren actually did last season. He was a steal at the draft, should have been 1st round. If not for injuries he'd have a higher reputation.

I'll be very not surprised when people start raving about Berggren in training camp.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I would have had Edvinsson at #2 and then Raymond at #3,

It gets harder after this

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I hope people don't flip on Berggren the other way too hard once they see what he actually becomes

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Aftonbladet did it once;

I think many underrate what Berggren actually did last season. He was a steal at the draft, should have been 1st round. If not for injuries he'd have a higher reputation.

I'll be very not surprised when people start raving about Berggren in training camp.

For what it's worth, there was a lot of talk of Berggren being a potential top 15 pick in 2018. I thought the guy might slip some, but I wasn't expecting a fall into the early 2nd.

Reactions: BStinson

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm of the belief the ranking should be based more heavily on ceiling with a modest inclusion of floor.

To me its Edvinsson followed by Cossa. Why? Because I believe those two(plus raymond and seider) have the high potential to be impactful star(note: not saying superstar) level NHL talents for 15 years.

After that it gets more interesting with a number of players clustered together.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Cossa/Berggren/Veleno will be a debate for me at #4.

#3 is not that.

I actually think I had Veleno and Berggren rated about where Cossa was taken in their drafts IIRC, so they are all pretty close for me.
No Johannson in that group for you? I think those 4 are all close and I change my mind by the day, but today I have Johannson up next

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
He had a very good season in the SHL.

I will say I'm surprised to see a contingent of fans here who rate him above Raymond and Edvinsson. My sentiment lines up pretty closely with what TZE wrote above, and realistically I see him as a middle six playmaker. Of course I hope his biggest believers are right - it'd be a real boon for our rebuild.

It wasn't just a very good season. It was a phenomenal season.

The players under age 21 that had better seasons than Berggren's 45 points in 49 games:

Kent Nilsson x 2 (54 and 47)
Elias Pettersson (56)
David Rundblad (50)
Oskar Lindblom ( 47)
Peter Forsberg (47)
Henrik Sedin (47)
Henrik Zetterberg (46)

That's good company to be in. (Save for Rundblad. I don't know what the hell happened to him)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Aftonbladet did it once;

You won't be very surprised when people start raving about him? Of course you won't, because people are still very excited about him even if they don't grade him as the #2 or #3 prospect in the pipeline. Don't mistake the arguments people are making for disliking Berggren; everyone is anxious to see what he looks like in camp.

We all hope it's as seamless of a transition to superstardom as you and Ogee seem to believe it will be.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Went with Cossa here. It comes down to probability of reaching upside for me at this point. I think you can make a case for about four different players here, and ultimately, I think Cossa has a better chance of being a starting goalie than Edvinsson does to be a top pair guy. So Cossa is my choice here.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You won't be very surprised when people start raving about him? Of course you won't, because people are still very excited about him even if they don't grade him as the #2 or #3 prospect in the pipeline. Don't mistake the arguments people are making for disliking Berggren; everyone is anxious to see what he looks like in camp.

We all hope it's as seamless of a transition to superstardom as you and Ogee seem to believe it will be.
No way "Hen Kolland" (if that is in fact your real name) - you're not getting on this Berggren train once it leaves the station. You'll be riding the Raymond bus all the way to Grand Rapids.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No way "Hen Kolland" (if that is in fact your real name) - you're not getting on this Berggren train once it leaves the station. You'll be riding the Raymond bus all the way to Grand Rapids.
JB making the team out of camp and Raymond going to GR doesn't automatically make JB the better prospect though.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

This is a bold proclamation coming from an English speaking Russian dog that learned how to use a computer...

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Picked Cossa. I don't trust Edvinsson's upside. In time, these guys might switch on my personal list, but this is where I'm at right now.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Went with Cossa here. It comes down to probability of reaching upside for me at this point. I think you can make a case for about four different players here, and ultimately, I think Cossa has a better chance of being a starting goalie than Edvinsson does to be a top pair guy. So Cossa is my choice here.
But top pairing defenseman and starting goalie aren't equal accomplishments. Top pairing defensmen are pretty much stars in the league. A starting goalie can range anywhere from Carey Price to Martin Jones. A second pairing defenseman could still be a more valuable player than even a middling starting goalie.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Does the Berggren crowd actually think his game style will translate well to North America? All the arguments about him are about him numbers last year, but I think its more likely he ends up like Pulkkinnen (despite completely different playing styles) than Hudler. (I picked those two players because they were both putting up great numbers in Europe but definitely didn't play an North American styled game, not because of similarities in skill set. )

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I must be late to the party but I'll still ask... Why doesn't Veleno have more votes?
After reading all the postings and really enjoying the Berggren-debate, I did choose Veleno. He may not have first line-upside, but still a slim chance to become a solid 2C (which is very valuable) and a decent chance to become a very good 3C, since he is already used to Northern American pro hockey.

Gruß,
BSHH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does the Berggren crowd actually think his game style will translate well to North America? All the arguments about him are about him numbers last year, but I think its more likely he ends up like Pulkkinnen (despite completely different playing styles) than Hudler. (I picked those two players because they were both putting up great numbers in Europe but definitely didn't play an North American styled game, not because of similarities in skill set. )

Hudler was a playmaker with bad skating. Pulkkinen was a shooter.

Berggren is fast-skating playmaker, should work in NHL. I don't expect him ever being 1st line material, but middle6 offensive forward, just like Gustav Nyquist was.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It wasn't just a very good season. It was a phenomenal season.

The players under age 21 that had better seasons than Berggren's 45 points in 49 games:

Kent Nilsson x 2 (54 and 47)
Elias Pettersson (56)
David Rundblad (50)
Oskar Lindblom ( 47)
Peter Forsberg (47)
Henrik Sedin (47)
Henrik Zetterberg (46)

That's good company to be in. (Save for Rundblad. I don't know what the hell happened to him)

It's a nice stat. I think it would be more compelling to me if I saw a larger body of forwards playing their D+3 seasons in the SHL to compare to Berggren side-by-side.

Off my head, and a couple quick searches, Petersson, Zibanejad, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Wennberg, Nylander, and Lindholm had come over to NA prior to their D+3 seasons (many of them prior to their D+2). A lot of other Swedish forwards played NCAA or CHL hockey, like Nyquist, Landeskog, Burakovsky, and Rakell.

So realistically, who was Berggren's head-to-head competition for that stat? Most quality Swedish forwards I can think of did not play their D+3 in the SHL. For what it's worth, I think that William Karlsson and Jakub Silfverberg did, if I read correctly, so it's not no one. But for an offensive-minded forward prospect with NHL top 6 ambitions, I think Berggren really had to produce well in the SHL this year. He did, and I'm glad. But I don't see his D+3 production as this incredible production spike that others seem to have really latched onto.

I've said before, that stat reminds me of when Axel Holstrom beat the Sedins' SHL point record. Folks were ready to pencil him in as a 2C and he never even sniffed the NHL.

Berggren obviously doesn't have Holstrom's skating deficiencies, but he has other obstacles, primarily in size and strength. I think he'll be a better player than Axel Holmstrom. But I still think people need to pump the brakes when it comes to SHL production. It is miles, miles worse as a league than the NHL.

Reactions: izlez

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Yes.

Why is there this thought that he's a soft floater that can't adjust to the fast pace of the North American game?

Also Berggren is a superior skater to either player you mentioned. Hudler was a successful NHLer despite the skating. Pulkkinen was a failure because of his inability to improve skating. Those comparables are not good at all

Reactions: Konnan511

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
It's a nice stat. I think it would be more compelling to me if I saw a larger body of forwards playing their D+3 seasons in the SHL to compare to Berggren side-by-side.

Off my head, and a couple quick searches, Petersson, Zibanejad, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Wennberg, Nylander, and Lindholm had come over to NA prior to their D+3 seasons (many of them prior to their D+2). A lot of other Swedish forwards played NCAA or CHL hockey, like Nyquist, Landeskog, Burakovsky, and Rakell.

So realistically, who was Berggren's head-to-head competition for that stat? Most quality Swedish forwards I can think of did not play their D+3 in the SHL. For what it's worth, I think that William Karlsson and Jakub Silfverberg did, if I read correctly, so it's not no one. But for an offensive-minded forward prospect with NHL top 6 ambitions, I think Berggren really had to produce well in the SHL this year. He did, and I'm glad. But I don't see his D+3 production as this incredible production spike that others seem to have really latched onto.

I've said before, that stat reminds me of when Axel Holstrom beat the Sedins' SHL point record. Folks were ready to pencil him in as a 2C and he never even sniffed the NHL.

Berggren obviously doesn't have Holstrom's skating deficiencies, but he has other obstacles, primarily in size and strength. I think he'll be a better player than Axel Holmstrom. But I still think people need to pump the brakes when it comes to SHL production. It is miles, miles worse as a league than the NHL.

Bro, most of those numbers I posted WERE guys in their D+3 years. A couple of them were D+2 years.

EDIT: And when did Axel Holmstrom beat the Sedins point record?
Axel Holmström at eliteprospects.com
In J18's? We're talking about men's pro hockey. Again, this is a bad argument.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad