Detroit Red Wings #12 Prospect 2015-16

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I understand you are just using a comparison stylistically with Letang there, but Sproul would have to improve defensively an enormous amount to be anything similar to Letang. Unless you are strictly talking about how the two are on the PP.

Because of the lack of progress Sproul has made on the defensive side, his ceiling has lowered for me. Still has a good ceiling, but I have altered it from what I originally believed. Used to think he could be a player like Mike Green, now I think realistically he becomes more of a guy like Del Zotto. And even that requires some work.

Yeah that's very fair considering Letang is a high end 2D at worst and a 1D in my mind. MDZ is a pretty good comparison for what we might be able to hope for at this point, and even that ceiling is rather unlikely. I think I'll be stealing that comparison in the future.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
For an AHL rookie, his first year was very solid. Calling it terrible is ridiculous.

i thought he lost his spot in the top 6 and only got back in during the playoffs because of injury? not playing in the top 6 with his pedigree is pretty bad i think.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
i thought he lost his spot in the top 6 and only got back in during the playoffs because of injury? not playing in the top 6 with his pedigree is pretty bad i think.
I think you're referring to last season. In his rookie season (13-14) he played all but 4 games (at least 2 were because of an NHL call-up) and all playoff games. 2nd highest scoring D in regular season & playoffs.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I guess I had the advantage of actually watching him live on dozens of occasions to bias me, but Sproul is a lot better than his stats make him out to be.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Some day everyone will wise up to the PMD that is Joseph Hicketts

It is easy to overlook him, he is all of 5'6" according to most that have actually met him or seen him in person. Which really worries me the, fact people keep saying that 5'8" is generous is really a bad thing. Height isn't everything, but at some point you're flat out too small to play D in the NHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Seriously...

He basically described the opposite of Sproul. At this point, he's probably NOT going to be an NHLer unless he bounces back in a big way. But if he becomes one, he'll be the point producing offensive threat that kills it on the PP - Letang type. I feel like he was describing Marchenko in his post more than anyone else.

Sproul has also been my vote the last few rounds based on ceiling alone. Nasty is definitely more likely to be an NHL regular though, so depends on what you prioritize.

Guy's with Sproul's tools and physical gifts generally get a sniff regardless.

Guy he reminds me of most right now Cam Barker, even he got chance after chance.

Sproul has the gifts that I think even if waived somebody will pick him up and hope to play him third pairing and PP.

6'3" 200+ lbs guys that can skate like him and have a big shot like he does get a chance. It will be a quick one though if he doesn't improve.

I think you're referring to last season. In his rookie season (13-14) he played all but 4 games (at least 2 were because of an NHL call-up) and all playoff games. 2nd highest scoring D in regular season & playoffs.

Sproul was quite good offensively in his rookie campaign.

Actually a little progress defensively this year while most of his offense went away. He was more physically engaged this past season and a little better position wise. Problem being he is still very poor at both, he went from trainwreck status to occasionally being in the right spot and occasionally throwing the body. But there was progress there, it is just the guys he was competing with continued to get a lot better and Sproul is really the one needing to make quantum leaps. For the record he vastly outplayed Backman, which should tell you how poor Mattias was for those freaking out about him being dealt.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Went with Zach. It is his turn. And he will be the next best bottom 'r for the organization. I can't wait for him, Glendy, and X on the 4th line in the NHL.

loudernow*

I don't understand the Nasty love.
He mostly played with Aubry and reminded me a lot of him.
Even his numbers so far are something Aubry would have.
1 assist in 22 games

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't understand the Nasty love.
He mostly played with Aubry and reminded me a lot of him.
Even his numbers so far are something Aubry would have.
1 assist in 22 games

Ranking prospects requires subjective projection of how players are likely to develop over time and how their style of play will work at the next level. Their current ability in relation to their peers is only one small piece of the puzzle. Where you see an Aubry clone, I see a kid that was mature and responsible enough to step into the AHL playoffs at 19.

If any of the guys left on the board establish themselves as NHL players they most likely will be bottom six forwards or bottom pair defensemen.

loudernow*

I saw him in playoffs last year.
He wasn't good.
Then in this years run he was injured against Toronto. When he was able to return he couldn't crack the lineup.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Having all our prospects laid out in one thread makes you realize how terrible our D pool really is. Really need to go dman first the next couple of drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad