Confirmed Trade: [DET/OTT] Alex DeBrincat (signs 4 years, $7.875M AAV) for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, cond. 2024 or 2025 1st (DET or BOS), 2024 4th

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't know how funny it is - I guess if you laugh at almost anything. Just be thankful that a good player wanted to play at home and his home happens to be Detroit. I think it happens about as often as good players wanting to play in Ottawa.

I thought he'd be worth more than he was, one of the worst returns for a decent player I can remember. Even with him wanting to go to Detroit, I just can't believe no one else wanted him - like - at all.

Shit happens though. We're lucky we got a 1st in there and we're really lucky we got Tarasenko and we're REALLY we didn't commit to DBC long term, because he wouldn't have been worth it IMO.
When you won’t agree to a long-term contract with anyone but Detroit, obviously other teams backed off. Remember, another team tried. He was going to play for his arbitration award and become a UFA. The Sens we’re screwed because he had that power.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
When you won’t agree to a long-term contract with anyone but Detroit, obviously other teams backed off. Remember, another team tried. He was going to play for his arbitration award and become a UFA. The Sens we’re screwed because he had that power.
Twas a shit situation for Ottawa, yes

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This is pretty wild:

1697729465663.png

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
There was a lot of denying he was a good player both last year in the GDTs and also this year after the trade.
Not really. There were people who rightly said that he couldn't drive a line (although, I thought that he did....sometimes). There were people who rightly said Ottawa would be fools to sign him to a long term deal (I would have and probably regretted it), then there were people who were disgusted at his 2-way game (quite rightly considering he came out and said he dogged it a lot).

Again, no denying he's good - but he has a lot to prove after shitting himself last year (although, again, I defended him for playing with a rookie C and a banged up Batherson).

There was a lot of talk about him, some good, some negative, but that will happen when you don't give a shit about playing defence.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was a lot of denying he was a good player both last year in the GDTs and also this year after the trade.

When he became an Ottawa Senator, you called him:

Tufted Titmouse said:
Dorion has been a brutal GM for years and now because he landed DeBrincat (high pick and only 1 year left on deal for the small, non-playdriving 10m winger...) and Giroux (over pay)

Now that he isn't, he's magically good again.

still early, but all signs are pointing towards this being the best contract since the old Mackinnon one

If he keeps this up, they'll have wished they signed him for more than 4 years.

MacKinnon was signed for 7.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
There was never any denying he was a good player, he just had long stretches last year where he didn't do much. Hopefully he can avoid that in Detroit, but....if he goes cold, he's not good for much.
Playing with a 30 point center all year, yeah. No one is holding any delusions about the type of player he is. Elite goal scorer who has never done a great job of driving offense on his own. He does a great job of getting open for a playmaker to get him the puck for great goal scoring opportunities. But this is why he only got a 4 year deal, and not an 8 year deal (and yes, I'm well aware there is nowhere else in the league where he'd have signed a team friendly 4 year deal)

Larkin doesn't have those down swings, he's pretty consistent. So if DeBrincat goes cold it would almost certainly be do to a shooting slump, but it won't be like last year where he was both in a prolonged shooting slump AND didn't play with a center who could drive offense and create opportunities for him on a nightly basis. No offence to Pinto who obviously has room to grow, he just isn't that dude as of yet. But yeah, I don't see any sort of a slump going anywhere near as bad in the current situation as it was for him last year. Perhaps if Norris wasn't hurt it woulda been a different story.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
If he keeps this up, they'll have wished they signed him for more than 4 years.

MacKinnon was signed for 7.
It doesn’t matter how long the Mackinnon one was, if Red Wings win the cup in the next 4 years, the contract is comparable.

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I knew the Sens were going to neuter him and they did
Tufted Titmouse said:
Dorion has been a brutal GM for years and now because he landed DeBrincat (high pick and only 1 year left on deal for the small, non-playdriving 10m winger...) and Giroux (over pay)

Holy shit bud, quit while you're ahead. I can't believe that.

Playing with a 30 point center all year, yeah. No one is holding any delusions about the type of player he is. Elite goal scorer who has never done a great job of driving offense on his own. He does a great job of getting open for a playmaker to get him the puck for great goal scoring opportunities. But this is why he only got a 4 year deal, and not an 8 year deal (and yes, I'm well aware there is nowhere else in the league where he'd have signed a team friendly 4 year deal)

Larkin doesn't have those down swings, he's pretty consistent. So if DeBrincat goes cold it would almost certainly be do to a shooting slump, but it won't be like last year where he was both in a prolonged shooting slump AND didn't play with a center who could drive offense and create opportunities for him on a nightly basis. No offence to Pinto who obviously has room to grow, he just isn't that dude as of yet. But yeah, I don't see any sort of a slump going anywhere near as bad in the current situation as it was for him last year. Perhaps if Norris wasn't hurt it woulda been a different story.
Yeah, probably. I think shit happens in hockey. We'll see what happens as the year progresses, but I think he'll be quite steady for Detroit - probably back to 40 goal form. Hopefully it doesn't cost us a playoff spot, but aside from that, I don't think anyone wishes him ill will in Ottawa, Maybe we're butthurt that he didn't want to sign, but he saved us in that regard too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Best bang for your buck. How can you tell me the Stanley Cup is not the most valuable jewel ?

Yeah, and if they had signed him for 7, maybe they get two jewels at a cheaper rate.

The upside of 4 years is that Detroit has flexibility in their salary structure if he doesn't live up to his salary or they need room for signing their up and coming prospects. He was coming off a relatively poor goal-scoring season in less than ideal circumstances in Ottawa, so they're not stuck with a long-term contract if he doesn't improve.

The downside of 4 years is that, if they do want to retain him, and he does produce at this league-leading rate, they'll have to re-sign him at that much higher salary with the cap at a higher position than it is now.

Detroit didn't choose to gamble on the DeBrincat contract and as a result, it will never hit the value of the MacKinnon one. That's fine, it was about mitigating the risk.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yeah, and if they had signed him for 7, maybe they get two jewels at a cheaper rate.

The upside of 4 years is that Detroit has flexibility in their salary structure if he doesn't live up to his salary or they need room for signing their up and coming prospects.

The downside of 4 years is that, if they do want to retain him, and he does produce at this league-leading rate, they'll have to re-sign him at that much higher salary with the cap at a higher position than it is now.

Detroit didn't choose to gamble on the DeBrincat contract and as a result, it will never hit the value of the MacKinnon one. That's fine, it was about mitigating the risk.
That’s a fair point and sure I can agree with what you are saying.

There may have been slight exaggeration on my end, and there’s better ways I can get my point across.

But in this regard, you’re correct.

As always I appreciate you for the thoughtful reply, NyQuil.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That’s a fair point and sure I can agree with what you are saying.

There may have been slight exaggeration on my end, and there’s better ways I can get my point across.

But in this regard, you’re correct.

As always I appreciate you for the thoughtful reply, NyQuil.

They got him for pennies on the dollar.

As far as trades go, it is looking very good for Detroit.

Unless Sebrango turns into the all-star defenceman that no one believes he could ever be.

Dorion’s hands were tied in the end but he tied up his own hands by trading for the guy and stashing him on the 2nd line before realizing that Ottawa did not figure into his long-term plans.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Dorion’s hands were tied in the end but he tied up his own hands by trading for the guy and stashing him on the 2nd line before realizing that Ottawa did not figure into his long-term plans.

That's another good point. There was never going to be a time when DBC could usurp Tkachuk as the top line LW. That was that from day 1, so I'm sure that didn't help our chances of him wanting to stay,

Reactions: NyQuil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well he didn't play very well in Ottawa. He clearly is capable of playing alot better. So it's not like the criticism wasn't justified. What happens if he gets disgruntled in Detroit? Will he mail it in? I am glad for them they only commited to Debrincat for 4 years. Sucks for an organization and its fans when you pay your hard earned money to watch these millionairs not put in an honest effort.

He's on fire it's a great fit for DBC in Detroit great value grab by Yzerman. Dorion is an idiot. Big game on Saturday.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
We‘re really declaring this one of the best contracts in the league after 4 games? Looks like he had a good start to last season too, and a stretch of 3 games where he had 8 points. He’s a good player, but it’s just a hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad