Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Even Dorion didn't cave to a multi-year on Tarasenko, lmao. What is going on over there?
Oh no, not a 2 year 4.75 M deal for a 50-60 point forward. How will the Wings ever recover from such an awful contract???

My god, the group think on this site is unbearable at times. If you guys want to mock an actual bad move, look at the Walman trade. That was atrocious.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens fans are predictable.

Perron=good signing, Tarasenko=trash.

Ok, and for the record I think Perron will be good there.

What are you talking about?

All I’ve heard from Detroit fans is how Perron is crap and Tarasenko is a huge upgrade.

For the record, I liked Tank and I wish him the best except against Ottawa.

He’s not swift, but he can still be surprisingly physical and fights for pucks in the corners.

Not really the sniper or unstoppable force down the wing that he was, he still has a good offensive IQ and goes to the right spots which is where a lot of his goals come from.

Happy now? Geez Louise, it’s in this very thread.

The correct perspective is that both these guys are bonus depth and shouldn’t be overly relied on.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
I wouldn't consider Copp, Compher, or Chiarot as "short-term" deals.

They have to re-sign Seider and Raymond. After that, there won't be $20M in cap space my guy.

IMO the bigger issue with the all the mid UFAs is that they're just not that good and clog up the roster. I've been hearing from Wings fans for years that these deals are to "help the team improve while prospects develop". They've improved marginally, but still missed the playoffs, and they don't really have any different young players on the roster compared to 21-22

Right. There won't be 20 million in cap space. They'll be like 4m and the two high priced RFAs locked up for 8 years... and then when next FA period comes around, there will be around 20M again, but no Seider or Raymond to extend.

The Wings salary commitments as we sit today in 26-27 (literally two years from now are)

Larkin 5 yr, 8.7m
Compher 2 yr, 5.1m
Copp 1 yr, 5.625m
Debrincat 1yr,7.85m
Rasmussen 2yr, 3.2m

That's it.

In 25-26, add

Tarasenko 1yr, 4.75m
Chiarot 1 yr, 4.75m
Holl 1 yr, 3.4m
Gustafsson 1 yr, 2m.
Talbot 1 yr, 2.5m

How exactly is the roster clogged? The Red Wings have 10 guys signed for next year which is whittled to 5 the next year. Add in Seider and Raymond long term deals and those numbers are 12 and 7.

Plus... Raymond was drafted in 2020. "There aren't many different young players since 21-22".... because most of the young players were drafted from 6OA on back in 2021, 2022, and 2023. I.E. the types of players that will take a couple years to make it.

And shit, in 24-25, the Red Wings are pretty certain to devote significant ice time to Simon Edvinsson, Marco Kasper, and Albert Johansson. The young players that the HFBoards hivemind is so apoplectic that we're not playing are getting time this year.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
:laugh:

Why is Walman so f***ing overrated around here?

I remember a year ago when people laughed at how overrated Walman was when he signed his extension. Now a year later, when he had a shit year, got himself thrown in the doghouse, stapled to the bench, and shipped out of town, he's suddenly an indispensable defensive stalwart.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They've improved marginally, but still missed the playoffs, and they don't really have any different young players on the roster compared to 21-22
”Marginally”? What.

Edvinsson, Johansson and Berggren are projected on the roster as of right now. I’d expect Kasper, Mazur and Danielson to at minimum get some games as well. One of them could crack the roster out of the gate.

Reactions: MagicMann13

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Walman was benched this year with Edvinsson up, he was already outplaying him in March and April.
This is not the same level of competition in the slightest
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.15.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.16.01 AM.png

But go ahead, stick a 20 year old into the hardest minutes in hockey, see what happens.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
don't see what people have got to complain about here. tarasenko, in the right sitution, and provided he stays relatively injury-free, is still a very good forward to have. his cost is low, his term is low....this could end up being a bit of a steal...and if it doesnt pan out, it is hardly a big deal.

the Wings look better going into this season than they did last and the kids have been given an extra year to develop. nothing to dislike here.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Depends entirely on the 20 year old...

At 20 Jake was a sophomore hanging out in dorms and Ed is entering his 5th season of pro hockey.
Except we're not talking about 20 year old Walman vs 20 year old edvinsson.

You are suggesting 20 year old Edvinsson is an upgrade over 28 year old Walman

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is not the same level of competition in the slightestView attachment 892527View attachment 892528
But go ahead, stick a 20 year old into the hardest minutes in hockey, see what happens.
Moritz Seider played the hardest minutes of all NHL defensmen. Walman got moved off his pairing in favor of Ben Chiarot. Yes, that's correct: Ben Chiarot. Walman eventually got healthy scratched in favor of Simon Edvinsson, then required a 2nd rounder in order to move his contract.

This is one case where relying only on the stats doesn't tell you the whole picture. To be fair, the Detroit blogosphere's biggest stat guy - Prashanth Iyer - also didn't understand the move. If Walman was truly that valuable, why did Detroit need to add a sweetener to move a very reasonable short term contract for a guy who could apparently play tough minutes?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Moritz Seider played the hardest minutes of all NHL defensmen. Walman got moved off his pairing in favor of Ben Chiarot. Yes, that's correct: Ben Chiarot. Walman eventually got healthy scratched in favor of Simon Edvinsson, then required a 2nd rounder in order to move his contract.

This is one case where relying only on the stats doesn't tell you the whole picture. To be fair, the Detroit blogosphere's biggest stat guy - Prashanth Iyer - also didn't understand the move. If Walman was truly that valuable, why did Detroit need to add a sweetener to move a very reasonable short term contract for a guy who could apparently play tough minutes?
Detroit fans seem very confident that they've improved the roster.

I'm not so sure.

I think the defense got worse (especially as Holl, Petry, and Chiarot continue to age)
Not sure they'll get better results in goaltending this year with a 37 year old.
And there is very possibly some shooting regression coming (shot 23 goals above expectation last year)

Overall detroit ranked 27th in xGoals share last year.

We'll see if they can beat out NYI, Washington, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philly and Ottawa for the 8th seed

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Jake Walman was playing 20 minutes a night very consistently right up until he got hurt in march.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Ppl act like the wings are a basement team. They tied a playoff team in points and lost a tiebreaker lol all while going on a 10 game losing streak when Larkin got hurt.

Healthy Larkin
Full season of Kane and Edvinsson
Tarasenko upgrade from perron (too slow)
Talbot better than injured husso and Reimer
Berggren over Fabbri is an upgrade
Motte over defensive liability Sprong
Maybe bring up Danielson, or Kasper

This team will be better than last year especially If they are healthy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jake Walman was playing 20 minutes a night very consistently right up until he got hurt in march.
Again, Simon Edvinsson took his spot in the lineup at the end of the season when the Red Wings were fighting for a playoff spot. Walman finished the season sitting in the press box and then Detroit needed to offer up a 2nd to move a guy on short term contract at a very reasonable cap hit.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad