Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
So everything except your #2 overall pick top 5C in the NHL, Multiple Vezina winning goalie and #1 overall top pair D?

You're the one who said 20 years. None of the guys you mentioned were in the system for 20 years, obviously. Ekblad is grossly overpaid and doesn't even crack the top ten most valuable players on the team. Bob's been here a whopping five years, came as a UFA with a bank-breaking contract.

I maintain that in any sport with free agency, the idea that you need to spend five-plus years 'rebuilding' is a farce. Good teams can be assembled very quickly in hockey, in football, in other sports. I'm not saying this is the case here -- I think Detroit is in good hands overall -- but many GMs use this as an excuse for being bad at their jobs.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You're the one who said 20 years. None of the guys you mentioned were in the system for 20 years, obviously. Ekblad is grossly overpaid and doesn't even crack the top ten most valuable players on the team. Bob's been here a whopping five years, came as a UFA with a bank-breaking contract.

I maintain that in any sport with free agency, the idea that you need to spend five-plus years 'rebuilding' is a farce. Good teams can be assembled very quickly in hockey, in football, in other sports. I'm not saying this is the case here -- I think Detroit is in good hands overall -- but many GMs use this as an excuse for being bad at their jobs.
I've never understood the notion either. When people say things like X team is 5-7 years from contending, it means their rebuild was a complete failure. I don't think rebuilds take more than 3-4 years before the team should be competitive or else it was a rebuild of a rebuild. Only "exception" type of situation might be the Sharks, but that was more an old team that was hamstrung by old players declining and not truly rebuilding. Our true rebuild only started a couple of years ago. I think if we're not fighting in the playoffs in 2 years, that the rebuild was a failure.

Just my opinion of course and I'm sure many will disagree.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kinda curious from Red Wings fans what the buzz around the team is. Is Stevie Y under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs this upcoming season or is it more of a "would be nice to make it, but not necessarily expecting it" type of thing.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks Tarasenko! He was obviously outpricing himself from Florida. I`d be guessing if he would have taken 2,5-3M he`d still be here. The guy still can score and contribute on a line as a RW. He is not very fast, but has good IQ and will probably help Detroit to the playoffs this year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird roundabout swap of Tarasenko and Perron, but i guess that's fine.

This offseason so far at least, has mostly felt like Steve Y is just sorta moving pieces around the board all willy-nilly, just for the sake of moving them.

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Some of this has to do with their rotten draft lottery luck but they have gotten Seider/Raymond but if you're consistently falling you're probably not get the game breakers in the draft. That being said, they're at the point where that team needs to make the playoffs for management to feel good about themselves + the players they're building with too. It gives a bit of the 17-18 Devils vibes so I get what you're saying but who knows if MBN, Kasper, Danielson don't become the thing they sorely need in the top 6.

Every other team has been in the same drafts as them

Florida
Boston
Toronto

Detroit is better than which of those teams?

Then you have
Tampa
Buffalo

I see nothing Detroit is elite at, nothing

For just division they don’t have a top tier 1C, neither top tier 2C. They don’t have a superstar winger either and goaltending looks shaky

Y is building a very vanilla team with a low ceiling but congrats I guess?

With signing Seider& Raymond they won’t have much to work with

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kinda curious from Red Wings fans what the buzz around the team is. Is Stevie Y under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs this upcoming season or is it more of a "would be nice to make it, but not necessarily expecting it" type of thing.
Yes there is pressure, but I’d say fans are at least 50/50 split between being okay with a small step back this year or not. We need to bring in prospects and that could lead to one step back before taking two steps forward.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
This. You'll be surprised how slow Perron is. He is still good at PP but that's all he contributes. I have no clue why Sens signed him.
I don't think I will be too surprised unfortunately. Maybe Staios will, but many of us wont. Looking forward to seeing how many penalties he racks up trying to catch up to plays. I guess he was a character hire more than anything, or maybe Zub insisted we bring him in. Who knows. Either way, our offseason moves haven't been anything to rave about, this is just one bad play amongst several so far.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

For just division they don’t have a top tier 1C, neither top tier 2C. They don’t have a superstar winger either and goaltending looks shaky
That’s what the prospect pool is for. Detroit’s got two high-end goalie prospects, several really good defensive prospects, and the goal is to build strong center and forward depth. However, this requires patience and for casual hockey fans it’s more difficult to assess because it doesn’t rely on 1-2 superstar forward lottery picks.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I don't think I will be too surprised unfortunately. Maybe Staios will, but many of us wont. Looking forward to seeing how many penalties he racks up trying to catch up to plays. I guess he was a character hire more than anything, or maybe Zub insisted we bring him in. Who knows. Either way, our offseason moves haven't been anything to rave about, this is just one bad play amongst several so far.
Got it. At least, he seems to have a good impact in the locker room. This is something that Sens may utilize as you seem to have all the right pieces but somehow they don't click.

All the good luck in the upcoming season!

Reactions: SENStastic

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So they paid a pick to get rid of Walman then turn around and give the money to Tarasenko? Yzerman has no idea what he's doing.

Nope.

They traded Walman to open 3.4M in cap space --> to open a roster spot for 900k ELC kid Edvinsson and adding a Starting Goalie Cam Talbot with that 2.5M extra space.

And now they traded struggling 4.0M Fabbri away to open cap space for 4.75M Tarasenko. Clearly a great winger upgrade.

Red Wings have now pushed both of their worst defensive wingers (Fabbri and Spring) out + Perron who regressed really bad at last season.

And those will be replaced by promoting Berggren, adding Tarasenko and also Tyler Motte, who will make the PK better, and maybe takes Larkin out from there for offence-only situations.

It's still RD trade in the works, and then the team is quite ready.

Yzerman knows what he is doing, and it's you who don't know what you are talking.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit is in a division with two recent-ish Cup winners, three recent-ish Presidents trophy winning teams, and Sabres and Leafs teams absolutely loaded with talent. They have their work cut out for them, yet they have improved every season since 2019-20.

It's great to be at tough Division, because tough Division creates a diamond, when the season qualcomp is always a bit higher.

At same time, you don't get any inflated production, so it controls the caphits. Nothing is getting out of hands.

Red Wings trend is up. UP - UP - UP.

Season 2024-25 - XX points
Season 2023-24 - 91 points
Season 2022-23 - 80 points
Season 2021-22 - 74 points
Season 2020-21 - 48 points
Season 2019-20 - 39 points

Team has improved every year.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are DRW fans OK with maybe being a contender in 2 or 3 years? The playoff drought is getting pretty long. No guarantee the kids will pan out. Seems like it might be time to cash a few chips in for a difference maker.

Like I get what you're saying and all but players won't wait forever to win

The capped out comment isn't really an issue for this year now with the Fabbri trade so that was definitely a shrewd move. Just the constant stream of middling acquisitions is a bit confusing. Tank and Kane aren't middling but in general there have been many.
I think most of us understand building a great team, that is what is being pitched. A lot of Wings fans, some are much younger now but a lot of Wings fans witnessed a two decade run with constant home ice advantage. Depends on the players you're building it with.

Yzerman has been discussed a lot more harshly the last week than at any other point in terms of Detroit. There is also a pretty big discussion in our fan-base that a lot of the deals that were being handed out were insane. When you constantly gripe about the money spent on x,y, and z well hard to criticize only getting player people are mostly okay with. I think there was a bigger plan to be had, but it didn't materialize so he didn't force it.

I think it is understandable to date the team he took over and where he is. Ownership pushed Holland there and Yzerman is basically like another child to Marian and the late Mike Ilitch. He isn't in the danger that people want him to be and he was ideally situated to have a patient rebuild. He has re-established tremendous organizational depth and the team has gotten better every year. Other teams can mock that but there is a logical build here that I can honestly defend. It is going slower than we have hoped but in our one tank year we got lottery screwed, luckily we got Raymond but it isn't like he has had a ton of breaks and the team has just got progressively better while gaining depth at every level. Again that is his job, run him from a different market, lots do around Detroit. For some of us while progress needs to come, yes the true contention goal really is probably 2 or 3 years out. Need to keep making gains, but the panic and laughs seem to ignore that they have upgraded in goal, are graduating a guy that finished as their second or third best d-man being promoted and have some very projectable prospects that will begin replacing vets as early as this year. Edvinsson going on the second pair was always going to be their biggest and most important gain of the off-season.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Every other team has been in the same drafts as them

Florida
Boston
Toronto

Detroit is better than which of those teams?

Then you have
Tampa
Buffalo

Y is building a very vanilla team with a low ceiling but congrats I guess?

With signing Seider& Raymond they won’t have much to work with

You have a very interesting... umm, opinion. It's weird, but interesting.

Reactions: MagicMann13

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Tarasenko’s points would have been a top 5 in Wings scoring. This is a fair contract for a guy who can help this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad