Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Keep drafting 15 with no star player aside from Larkin(and wasting his prime). Great plan. Washington was pretty bad last year and still made it over Detroit so I don't buy the we are almost a playoff team as a great achievement

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, not all. But the other poster doesn't understand how odds or probabilities work. Trying to make a point.
How exactly do you calculate that? Want him to say they have exactly a 61.64% chance of making it?

What a strange argument you’re trying to make

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What odds? No one mentioned any. I'm seeing Detroit at +130, meaning oddsmakers are giving them less than 50% chance of making it.

It is certainly possible. They're not favoured to do it though.
+130 is way better odds than we had this time last year and we missed playoffs on a tiebreaker:dunno:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep drafting 15 with no star player aside from Larkin(and wasting his prime). Great plan. Washington was pretty bad last year and still made it over Detroit so I don't buy the we are almost a playoff team as a great achievement
Seider, Larkin and Raymond are also too good to tank. They don’t have long-term commitments to these guys and have the #1 prospect pool in the league according to multiple scouting people.

He is putting players around them to help them play more meaningful games. This team has made incremental progress and points every year under Yzerman. That is his job.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How exactly do you calculate that? Want him to say they have exactly a 61.64% chance of making it?

What a strange argument you’re trying to make
No, but if someone says, "I like their odds", they must have some mental estimate of what their chances are, and they seem favourable.

The poster could not articulate this was.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No, but if someone says, "I like their odds", they must have some mental estimate of what their chances are, and they seem favourable.

The poster could not articulate this was.
Not having run the numbers on the statistical probability behind the innocuous statement of "I like their odds" is perfectly normal and has nothing to do with articulation. Not everyone has a gambling addiction...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What are the Wings trying to accomplish exactly?
To have a better hockey team than they did last year. Just like any other team. There’s not a planet where Tarasenko isn’t a better player than Fabbri. He also has no trade protection.

For those who thought Berggren was suddenly gonna be forced into the lineup because there was now a spot open for him, you don’t just hand NHL spots to guys who keep showing they have no interest in being more than one dimensional.

Tarasenko just showed in the playoffs, he’s willing to change the way he plays, for his team. They get rid of a player they couldn’t trust to stay in the lineup, and replace Perron with a younger, better player, at the same time. And save $4 million doing it with one less roster spot.

They were always signing another winger. I didn’t think they had a chance at Tarasenko. Figured they’d be looking at JVR best case. So it’s a good move. Not sure how anyone could even suggest it’s not. They’re playing in the toughest division in the league. So if they stink come the deadline, he’s worth more with a year left on his deal, if he’s having a big season.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I like this. The question people should be asking is what is the Redwings' window?

With Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, SPA, Buium, Wallinder, Cossa and more, it isn't next year or likely the year after, which is also when Chiarot, Holl and others come off the books. The actual Detroit competitive window starts in 2 years and anything before that is a bonus.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
How about you look at their salary commitments even as close as two seasons from now. They are built essentially in a holding pattern. They're using the cap because it's there... but next year, they're dropping off like another 25 million in salaries and the year following that another 15-20. They currently have 5 forwards under contract in 26-27. And that's it for players they have signed. The Wings have themselves structured right now that they'll have lots of money coming free every year and they will end up signing or trading for a lot of guys, every year.

The idea is that Larkin, Seider, Raymond form their core and guys like Kasper, Danielson, ASP, etc. all come up and the team organically rolls into development and has a logically build cap plan that doesn't necessitate them to pay to gut the roster every year.

Are DRW fans OK with maybe being a contender in 2 or 3 years? The playoff drought is getting pretty long. No guarantee the kids will pan out. Seems like it might be time to cash a few chips in for a difference maker.

Like I get what you're saying and all but players won't wait forever to win

The capped out comment isn't really an issue for this year now with the Fabbri trade so that was definitely a shrewd move. Just the constant stream of middling acquisitions is a bit confusing. Tank and Kane aren't middling but in general there have been many.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I like this. The question people should be asking is what is the Redwings' window?

With Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, SPA, Buium, Wallinder, Cossa and more, it isn't next year or likely the year after, which is also when Chiarot, Holl and others come off the books. The actual Detroit competitive window starts in 2 years and anything before that is a bonus.
I have said that I view 2025-26 as when their window begins to open.

Are DRW fans OK with maybe being a contender in 2 or 3 years? The playoff drought is getting pretty long. No guarantee the kids will pan out. Seems like it might be time to cash a few chips in for a difference maker.
I'm willing to wait two years to have a 10 year window of being a consistent playoff team with a shot at winning a Cup.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The cap at work. Players like Kane and Tarasenko still want cash, and that benefits teams like Detroit who are trying to dig themselves out of the basement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad