Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Let’s be real, there’s nothing Yzerman could do that would please everyone. Building without lottery luck is incomprehensible for the casuals.
I would be very interested to see the takes around here if marner for some obviously stupid bs reason was traded to detroit. Obviously never going to happen, but the melt down from all sides would be so interesting lol.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
That roster just doesn’t have a high ceiling

Their goal seems to be just be in the race for playoffs and nothing more

Almost doing the opposite of racing anywhere. Yzermans plan is slow cooking if anything. Buying time for prospects. Kane and Tarasenko 1 and 2 years. The only guys signed for more than 3 years are Larkin, Compher and Rasmussen. It's not a very "sexy" way of how he is going about it but most... most Wings fan agree it's the best way so far. Point increase every year and win total increase every year for 5 or 6 years now. Let the kids filter in the bottom end of the line up now and see what we have.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Good signing but I'm still not sure what DRW plan is. They'll be nearly capped out once Raymond/Seider sign and they are painfully mid.
How about you look at their salary commitments even as close as two seasons from now. They are built essentially in a holding pattern. They're using the cap because it's there... but next year, they're dropping off like another 25 million in salaries and the year following that another 15-20. They currently have 5 forwards under contract in 26-27. And that's it for players they have signed. The Wings have themselves structured right now that they'll have lots of money coming free every year and they will end up signing or trading for a lot of guys, every year.

The idea is that Larkin, Seider, Raymond form their core and guys like Kasper, Danielson, ASP, etc. all come up and the team organically rolls into development and has a logically build cap plan that doesn't necessitate them to pay to gut the roster every year.

Reactions: SoupNazi

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That roster just doesn’t have a high ceiling

Their goal seems to be just be in the race for playoffs and nothing more
Of course not, and I don’t think anyone thinks the Wings are anything but at best a playoff contending/just missing team.

He’s avoiding long term expensive contracts that’ll handcuff the team in the event/when the kids prove themselves

Reactions: Henkka

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the record, I liked Tank and I wish him the best except against Ottawa.

He’s not swift, but he can still be surprisingly physical and fights for pucks in the corners.

Not really the sniper or unstoppable force down the wing that he was, he still has a good offensive IQ and goes to the right spots which is where a lot of his goals come from.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
When Yzerman arrived back in Detroit, the Red Wings had Dylan Larkin and pretty much nothing else. He was able to trade Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi who are nice players but nothing special.

They now have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL, a #1 dman in Seider, a 1st line forward in Ray, and will be adding pieces every single season going forward. Edvinssson, Cossa, Sandin-Pelikka, Danielson, Kasper, Brandsegg-Nygaard could all be in the lineup as soon as 2025-26.

Yzerman is giving short term deals to legit NHL'ers to bide time until the prospects are ready.
You could exchange Horvat for Larkin and Stevie with Benning and basically describe the nucks.

Benning made some good picks, and one really good trade (JT) otherwise he's been called one of the worst GM's in recent memory.

The thing with rebuilding teams is you get a lot of high picks so it's not really a coup to have so far a first pairing D and a top line winger, tho I'm sure more will pan out.

However when you compare everything like trades, signings, years of build etc, they aren't that different.

I'm sure the usual people who are in love with SY will refute this but these past couple of years he's making the exact same throw shit at the wall moves that Benning made, that made even me who defended him a lot, go WTF?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
You could exchange Horvat for Larkin and Stevie with Benning and basically describe the nucks.

Benning made some good picks, and one really good trade (JT) otherwise he's been called one of the worst GM's in recent memory.

The thing with rebuilding teams is you get a lot of high picks so it's not really a coup to have so far a first pairing D and a top line winger, tho I'm sure more will pan out.

However when you compare everything like trades, signings, years of build etc, they aren't that different.

I'm sure the usual people who are in love with SY will refute this but these past couple of years he's making the exact same throw shit at the wall moves that Benning made, that made even me who defended him a lot, go WTF?
This is such a lazy and dumb comparison.

Canucks were loaded with riches when Benning took over. He either let them all walk or traded them for garbage. He spent to the cap every year trying to win and other than his very first year (where he was very much trying to contend) he never picked twice in the first round. The Canucks never intentionally rebuilt, we got EP and Hughes completely by luck because Benning's best effort at building a contender put us in the top 5 of the draft.

Literally none of that is comparable to Detroit's situation.

The only Benning tier move Yzerman made prior to the Walman dump was ending the tank right before the epic, loaded with elite talent, 2023 draft. He just had to tank one more year and he'd have his elite 1C right now and be in a great position to compete moving forward but he couldn't wait and now they have to find a way to contention with a St. Louis style roster full of good but not great pieces.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yzerman has won back to back Olympic gold medals as GM of Team Canada and built Tampa into a 4-time Cup Final team that won 2 Cups. I don't know much about Benning, don't have an opinion on him and honestly don't really care. This is a thread about the Red Wings.

Have a good day!

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

And the Nucks looked really good this year. What's the problem here? Like, they were pretty competitive in the playoffs .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Who’s his Juolevi and Virtanen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad