Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Good signing but I'm still not sure what DRW plan is. They'll be nearly capped out once Raymond/Seider sign and they are painfully mid.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
All the salt about Yzerman in these threads is always fun to read.

The Wings haven't had a top 3 pick since 1990. But keep coming with all the genius rebuilding ideas...
I think a lot of outside folks (myself included) had really high expectations of the yzerplan. it turning out to be kinda pedestrian with still no elite pieces is the issue. Random example, Vancouver never had a top 4 pick in 25 years and is now approaching contender category is not helping the 'stay patient' crowd either.

tommyers19

Jul 24, 2022
Florida fan here.. Tarensenko played amazing on that 3rd line on his natural side.. and struggled on the 1st line on left wing.. so as long as he's on the right side we'll do well.

Really wanted him back in Florida, wouldn't of won the cup without him.

Det has 20M left in capspace, hopefully they spend it well and should be back in the playoffs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think a lot of outside folks (myself included) had really high expectations of the yzerplan. it turning out to be kinda pedestrian with still no elite pieces is the issue. Vancouver never had a top 4 pick in 25 years and is now approaching contender category is not helping the 'stay patient' crowd either.
When Yzerman arrived back in Detroit, the Red Wings had Dylan Larkin and pretty much nothing else. He was able to trade Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi who are nice players but nothing special.

They now have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL, a #1 dman in Seider, a 1st line forward in Ray, and will be adding pieces every single season going forward. Edvinssson, Cossa, Sandin-Pelikka, Danielson, Kasper, Brandsegg-Nygaard could all be in the lineup as soon as 2025-26.

Yzerman is giving short term deals to legit NHL'ers to bide time until the prospects are ready.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
All the salt about Yzerman in these threads is always fun to read.

The Wings haven't had a top 3 pick since 1990. But keep coming with all the genius rebuilding ideas...

“Salt” usually comes from some kind of bitterness, perhaps a jealousy of sorts. That really doesn’t describe the sentiment towards Yzerman or the Wings, this is just standard criticism.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think a lot of outside folks (myself included) had really high expectations of the yzerplan. it turning out to be kinda pedestrian with still no elite pieces is the issue. Random example, Vancouver never had a top 4 pick in 25 years and is now approaching contender category is not helping the 'stay patient' crowd either.

Holland left behind a lot of bad contracts and virtually no prospects. The Canucks hit with their higher picks like Horvat, McCann, Boeser, Petersson while Holland was busy drafting Zadina (picked one ahead of you know who), Rasmussen, Veleno, Cholowski.

Then when Detroit bottomed out for real, they got screwed in the lottery and dropped back to 4th in what wasn't a super strong year anyway. It was a deep, deep hole. Luckily they came away with Raymond and Seider.

It's not fun having the team be this bad for this long, but I'm glad Yzerman is avoiding the shiny new toy deals that turn out to be a nightmare, and I'm not sure what he could've done to make the team better faster. I'd rather they be competitive for several years then go nuts for a season and regress.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I thought he was pretty weak in the SCF.

I always laugh at statements like this. The guy was playing in the Stanley Cup final. Having a "weak Stanley Cup final" says more positive about a player overall than negative. He made it there. The Red Wings almost certainly are not next year, but they aren't getting further from it by having Tank on the roster. Quite the contrary.

(the following isn't directed at the poster I'm quoting)

The worst player on the best club hockey team in the world is probably a pretty decent hockey player and is probably better than a good chunk of many NHL rosters. Tarasenko was far from the worst player on that Panthers team. I'm defending a player than I don't even like, because he's not nearly as bad as people are saying for this piddly small-time 2 year contract. He's 32, not 36. This is "at value".

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Stay semi-respectable until the drafted kids are ready to take over. The last three offseason signings are basically all place-holders.

Kane and Senko are basically placeholders, the best thing for Detroit that can happen is if Kasper/Danielson pop and become a very good 2C. Their season got torpedoed last year because of the Larkin injury, guys like Compher and Copp are fine but they're just there tbh lol

He got a few goals in finals but I thought he was one of the worst skaters on ice for Panthers thru much of playoffs

Dont think he has much left in tank and will continue to slowdown/fade

I disagree, he wasn't contributing but the guy was playing defense more than you saw in STL. He was actually blocking shots and doing the little things you should be doing if you aren't contributing offensively which is the Panthers model/players rubbing off on him. He'll be decent for Detroit but the issue is going from a top 9 to a top 6 role at his age isn't something that should be that lauded.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
That roster just doesn’t have a high ceiling

Their goal seems to be just be in the race for playoffs and nothing more
Yes that's precisely the plan. We have not made it since Datsyuk left in 2016

Tonnes of our best prospects haven't even his consistent NHL time yet too. This signing and the Fabbri offload are great steps forward. Need that Top 4D now. Fingers crossed

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That roster just doesn’t have a high ceiling

Their goal seems to be just be in the race for playoffs and nothing more

Some of this has to do with their rotten draft lottery luck but they have gotten Seider/Raymond but if you're consistently falling you're probably not get the game breakers in the draft. That being said, they're at the point where that team needs to make the playoffs for management to feel good about themselves + the players they're building with too. It gives a bit of the 17-18 Devils vibes so I get what you're saying but who knows if MBN, Kasper, Danielson don't become the thing they sorely need in the top 6.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yes that's precisely the plan. We have not made it since Datsyuk left in 2016

Tonnes of our best prospects haven't even his consistent NHL time yet too. This signing and the Fabbri offload are great steps forward. Need that Top 4D now. Fingers crossed
The Red Wings have improved every year since 2019-20 and missed the playoffs last year by 1 point due to a horrific goaltending room. Husso was injured, Reimer was washed, and Lyon was badly overextended.

I wouldn't be shocked if they improve once again and make the playoffs in 2024-25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad