Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Patrick Kane signs extension with the Red Wings (1 year, $4M; $2.5M in bonuses)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks. Any chance he makes this years roster?
Normally I would say no. But the kid found another gear when he got traded to Portland and his stock keeps rising. He should definitely get a long look at camp, and we'll see where the chips fall.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Probably not out of training camp. He needs to put on some muscle. Look for him more in 25-26 or after 40-50 games in AHL.

Normally I would say no. But the kid found another gear when he got traded to Portland and his stock keeps rising. He should definitely get a long look at camp, and we'll see where the chips fall.

Thanks. Interesting. At some point, a new Star in Detroit will need to arrive so that Patty Kanes aren’t so heavily relied upon to carry offence.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I’ve heard all kinds of things.. It’s gonna be interesting. I think they’d love to sign a Stamkos or even Stephenson or Lindholm, but definitely won’t count out Monahan. I think they’ll go after one aggressively, and also think they’ll likely re-sign Fischer (unless he gets money somewhere) and add a player who they can get some secondary scoring and/or pace the 3rd line. Even from the wing. I think DeBrusk may price himself out of that discussion. It’ll be interesting to see what Duclair gets. But that type of player, I think they’d love.

Then I still say they’re going after two dmen. Whether that happens tomorrow or in the next few weeks, we’ll see. They want two solid, top role playing Dmen to play with the kids for the next 3-4 years. Whether that’s Roy and someone with a little offense to play with Mo, or maybe they would sign Skjei or Zadorov and keep searching for Edvinsson’s partner. I don’t think they’ll sign 2 defensive Dmen, but Edvinsson will provide more offense as things move forward, so I wouldn’t be shocked.

If the Trouba thing goes down, I’m not sure that changes their goals tomorrow. He can either play with Edvinsson or drop down on the 3rd pair. They can play around with a player like him because Edvinsson and Johansson are on ELCs.

Still think Holl and Maatta are gone and if Trouba comes, I’d almost bet Petry gets bought out too.

It’s gonna be fun. I think the #1 goal is to make sure that Top 4 is as solid as possible, with both kids carrying the pairings. Its not out of the realm of possibility Chiarot stays with Mo, maybe a Roy is signed for Edvinsson, then Trouba plays with Johansson. Then sign someone like Kylington if Ghost doesn’t come back.

I think it’s a moving goalpost type thing with 31 other teams after some of the same players, but solidifying the D is crucial.

I wouldn’t count out him taking a run at Askarov either. He wants a goaltender he can ride. If that costs ASP or even Rasmussen, I almost think he’d do it. He’d then make sure Cossa/Augustine is included in the deal, and get a young forward in return too. But there’s a deal to be made if they rate Askarov as high as many do. Yesterday I heard ASP and Cossa/Augustine for Askarov and Tomasino. I think I would do that IF they rate Askarov that highly. I can’t evaluate young goalies. Just can’t. But I know Yzerman wants one he can ride.

So we’ll see. So many moving parts.
Askarov...dear God....

Always appreciate your thoughts and insights

Respect

Reactions: Petes2424

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Im kinda perplexed by this but not in a bad way.

Detroit isn't winning a cup next year.

Kane doesn't need money I guess.

Kanes not from there.

Im curious why he went back but not in a salty way just curious whats his mindframe

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
It's refreshing, actually. He's won Cups with Detroit, gold medals running team Canada, he rebuilt Tampa into a multiple time Cup winner and you won't find a more modest person. It's super easy to chirp, it's really difficult to actually accomplish something like building a championship caliber team.
I'm not talking about Yzerman.

• Love
Reactions: Run the Jewels

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Kanes not from there.

Im curious why he went back but not in a salty way just curious whats his mindframe

My best guess as a Wings fan.

Detroit is historically faithful to veterans. Stick with the Wings, they take care of their guys.

Detroit worked our for his rehab and 1st season post surgery. He mentioned multiple times how great the staff and facilities and team was, he wants to give that another shot.

He wants to be here and got compensated.

Reactions: DJN21

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
much prefer danielson to be that center or winger on same line. Kasper strikes me as someone who would definitely benefit from being kane's center, but I feel like danielson's hockey IQ could supplement kane more.

regardless, kasper has good hockey iq, i just don't know if it is the same level as danielson's potential is.
Imagine Danielson playing with Stamkos and Kane opening night. They may even start him on the wing but these are gonna be situations they can bring kids up to play in now, as everything points to them adding a big time forward now. Look how easy Knies transition has been in Toronto, because they play him with great players. It’s such an advantage.

Then it pushes guys down too. Compher, Copp and Rasmussen is gonna be a hell of a 3rd line. That would likely be the best in the league.

They’re gonna be primed to make a big trade too. Maybe it is Askarov with Rasmussen being part of it. You’d have a 4th line with Veleno and Fabbri on it right now, assuming a big player is signed and one of the kids is in the Top 6.

They have plenty of work to still do but who wouldn’t want to be Kane’s linemate and center next season? Lindholm would be great with that. Monahan would love it. Gonna guess Stamkos would too. He’s not chasing cups. It would be a great situation for him, the way Detroit treats veterans.

It’s a big thing for Detroit to get Kane done. Especially in this way. He could’ve made more money somewhere else. BTW, don’t think his gf didn’t have a say in staying in Detroit. She’s good friends with Debrincat’s wife and they have the two little ones that are always together. Those things matter for players with kids. Especially in a place you have no family.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He should, but Kasper , Mazur and Berggren ahead of him. In GR Danielson could be ahead of Lombardi, just could be , never mind Czarnik. He needs to get stronger a lot stronger

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
After Wings sign all their RFAs to lucrative deals, they should have about 10.5m available. They can probably clear out about another 7m if they needed/wanted to.

Yzerman can still pick up a few more nice pieces if he sees fit. He'll probably be active at UFA. And he has a few trade chips he can play with.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Imagine Danielson playing with Stamkos and Kane opening night. They may even start him on the wing but these are gonna be situations they can bring kids up to play in now, as everything points to them adding a big time forward now. Look how easy Knies transition has been in Toronto, because they play him with great players. It’s such an advantage.
I think this is what Yzerman has been semi waiting for (provided a stamkos signing occurs). Zetterberg and datsyuk had an absolutely insane mentorship in the 2000's. Kronwall did as well, well, essentially all of the defense.

I really do believe danielson makes it impossible for yzerman and makes him play him on at least a 9 game stint. If it works out (I think it definitely will, given that I believe he is a larkin clone) will force yzerman to trade copp. I like copp and I like that he was able to transition like he was asked, but danielson and the potential of kasper making the team makes him obsolete because kasper can play copp's game tomorrow.
Then it pushes guys down too. Compher, Copp and Rasmussen is gonna be a hell of a 3rd line. That would likely be the best in the league.
I reiterate the above with the possibility of danielson/kasper combo forcing copp out. If kasper doesn't make it then yes that could be a dangerous third line, however I think Ras slots down to the fourth line C role and berggren takes his spot on the third (if he is still on the team).
They’re gonna be primed to make a big trade too. Maybe it is Askarov with Rasmussen being part of it. You’d have a 4th line with Veleno and Fabbri on it right now, assuming a big player is signed and one of the kids is in the Top 6.
I think veleno is going to be shipped out. he definitely faded at the end of year and became invisible. I wanted saros instead of all this hype with gibson being out there. maybe you can shed light on that, I did see your one post about him and how you like him, thoroughly agree, however I don't know how that math adds up if we add stamkos, a d-man (roy), and this random news about trouba retained.
They have plenty of work to still do but who wouldn’t want to be Kane’s linemate and center next season? Lindholm would be great with that. Monahan would love it. Gonna guess Stamkos would too. He’s not chasing cups. It would be a great situation for him, the way Detroit treats veterans.

It’s a big thing for Detroit to get Kane done. Especially in this way. He could’ve made more money somewhere else. BTW, don’t think his gf didn’t have a say in staying in Detroit. She’s good friends with Debrincat’s wife and they have the two little ones that are always together. Those things matter for players with kids. Especially in a place you have no family.
Getting kane done before FA begins is massive. Now, there is no question. If a player was not sure because of kane not signing yet and they had a timed deal where they had to make a decision, then they most likely were not going to sign detroit's offer. Now, that is completely out of the equation and it gets back into money/term. There is no more uncertainty with that situation, making it much easier.

I don't know how that goes into Roy's thinking, being on defense and all, but you can't help but wonder if that has an effect. I think a player like lindholm could have his mind swayed, and would have, potentially, a much lower cap hit than originally anticipated (wasn't it around 9 mil? Can't be anywhere near that now with how he faded in vancouver).

I wouldn't hate a couple one year deals on some of these guys. Detroit needs to be back in the playoffs. I have been banging on this drum for a year now (really expected them to make the playoffs last year), but seider and raymond have the opportunity to be electric in the playoffs. Raymond had his coming out part last year (imo with Kane's massive mentorship and confidence booster) and I gotta see larkin out there. Larkin's passion and tenacity will shine like crazy in his first playoffs back since his rookie year with Zetterberg.

Tomorrow is going to be extremely disappointing or extremely encouraging. There really is no in between. I'd be highly disappointed if our FA big name signings are ghost and perron and thats it. IF we can Roy and another winger/center that can play both, with the addition of danielson, kasper, berggren, edvinsson, and of course my darkhorse favorite of ALJO, we could really do something out there next year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
My best guess as a Wings fan.

Detroit is historically faithful to veterans. Stick with the Wings, they take care of their guys.

Detroit worked our for his rehab and 1st season post surgery. He mentioned multiple times how great the staff and facilities and team was, he wants to give that another shot.

He wants to be here and got compensated.
Thanks bud. Makes total sense. A great run organization with a history behind it can make a huge difference. Cheers!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think this is what Yzerman has been semi waiting for (provided a stamkos signing occurs). Zetterberg and datsyuk had an absolutely insane mentorship in the 2000's. Kronwall did as well, well, essentially all of the defense.

I really do believe danielson makes it impossible for yzerman and makes him play him on at least a 9 game stint. If it works out (I think it definitely will, given that I believe he is a larkin clone) will force yzerman to trade copp. I like copp and I like that he was able to transition like he was asked, but danielson and the potential of kasper making the team makes him obsolete because kasper can play copp's game tomorrow.

I reiterate the above with the possibility of danielson/kasper combo forcing copp out. If kasper doesn't make it then yes that could be a dangerous third line, however I think Ras slots down to the fourth line C role and berggren takes his spot on the third (if he is still on the team).

I think veleno is going to be shipped out. he definitely faded at the end of year and became invisible. I wanted saros instead of all this hype with gibson being out there. maybe you can shed light on that, I did see your one post about him and how you like him, thoroughly agree, however I don't know how that math adds up if we add stamkos, a d-man (roy), and this random news about trouba retained.

Getting kane done before FA begins is massive. Now, there is no question. If a player was not sure because of kane not signing yet and they had a timed deal where they had to make a decision, then they most likely were not going to sign detroit's offer. Now, that is completely out of the equation and it gets back into money/term. There is no more uncertainty with that situation, making it much easier.

I don't know how that goes into Roy's thinking, being on defense and all, but you can't help but wonder if that has an effect. I think a player like lindholm could have his mind swayed, and would have, potentially, a much lower cap hit than originally anticipated (wasn't it around 9 mil? Can't be anywhere near that now with how he faded in vancouver).

I wouldn't hate a couple one year deals on some of these guys. Detroit needs to be back in the playoffs. I have been banging on this drum for a year now (really expected them to make the playoffs last year), but seider and raymond have the opportunity to be electric in the playoffs. Raymond had his coming out part last year (imo with Kane's massive mentorship and confidence booster) and I gotta see larkin out there. Larkin's passion and tenacity will shine like crazy in his first playoffs back since his rookie year with Zetterberg.

Tomorrow is going to be extremely disappointing or extremely encouraging. There really is no in between. I'd be highly disappointed if our FA big name signings are ghost and perron and thats it. IF we can Roy and another winger/center that can play both, with the addition of danielson, kasper, berggren, edvinsson, and of course my darkhorse favorite of ALJO, we could really do something out there next year.
It could go a few different directions. Pretty sure Berggren is gone though. Don’t even think he’s in their thoughts right now.

If I had to guess, Danielson or Kasper makes the team, as does Mazur. Mazur can start on any line btw. He’s the type who can Keep developing in the NHL. If Kasper gets even a little stronger, he may be that guy who’s playing in the Top 6 and Danielson will start the season in GR. He started showing that explosiveness later in the season. He’s not far off at all.

There’s always buyouts too. Although I’m guessing it would be Fabbri first. Assuming one is a forward.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It could go a few different directions. Pretty sure Berggren is gone though. Don’t even think he’s in their thoughts right now.

If I had to guess, Danielson or Kasper makes the team, as does Mazur. Mazur can start on any line btw. He’s the type who can Keep developing in the NHL. If Kasper gets even a little stronger, he may be that guy who’s playing in the Top 6 and Danielson will start the season in GR. He started showing that explosiveness later in the season. He’s not far off at all.

There’s always buyouts too. Although I’m guessing it would be Fabbri first. Assuming one is a forward.
In one of his recent pressers Yzerman was speaking very highly of Kasper. No idea if he starts the season in Detroit, but Yzerman went out of his way to single Kasper out.

Kanes not from there.

Do you know who's his bestie?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I was kind of hoping that berggren would be used in a trade for necas. IDKY but just feels like that could be worked out somehow. Both players would just go somewhere new. I don't know if it could be a one for one, probably not and detroit would need to add I'm sure, but man that could be interesting.

I agree with Mazur. I just thought that if Berggren is still here, then he takes the spot and not mazur. Mazur needs to get bigger though. He seems like he can play just fine with the weight he has on, but if he get's beefier, then a line with kasper, mazur, and let's say rasmussen, could be EXTREMELY interesting to watch. Put those three out there against marchand, tkachuk(s), etc for a couple shifts here and there (like draper, maltby, mccarty) and I think it could go extremely well for detroit.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
His cab driver or toews?
kane-cat.png

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad