Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Joe Veleno re-signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I think it’s 500k too high. But I think it had to be because Rasmussen (3.2) was 500k too high.

Neither are that big of a deal / worth complaining about.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Was I wrong?

Holl, Chiarot, Petry... Missing the playoffs, yet again, choking big time in the last months of the season.

Now losing Walman and having to pay a 2nd (!) to do so and sign old geezers on the back 9 like Talbot, Tarasenko and Kane. I think Kane's game goes off a cliff this year. Watching him against Montreal when the season was on the line being slow as hell was painful. Raymond, Larkin and Perron were the only good offensive drivers on that team, and Perron is gone. Raymond was THE driver of play. DeBrincat underwhelming after a hot start didn't help.

Tarasenko is at best a depth middle-6 player at this point, but at least he's not over 35.

What is the most concerning with those offseason moves is that now the team is full of players over 25, but they can't even make the playoffs... How better these guys can get?

Only key players (top 6, top 4) on that roster under 25 are Seider and Raymond. All the others are either at best depth (Veleno) or question marks (Edvinsson).

But yeah, 2 awesome offseasons, I guess.
If you think Perron was an offensive driver then I very strongly doubt you actually watched any games.

He was without a doubt our biggest liability on forward outside of the PP

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think it’s 500k too high. But I think it had to be because Rasmussen (3.2) was 500k too high.

Ras is a plus level bottom 6 guy. He was very good defensively and produced a decent amount of points.

Veleno didn’t produce as well and was also shit defensively. He looked like just a run of the mill 4th liner outside of one or two 10 game stretches.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If you think Perron was an offensive driver then I very strongly doubt you actually watched any games.

He was without a doubt our biggest liability on forward outside of the PP
*Agrees that the team's last 2 offseasons were catastrophic but decides it is too hard to admit it so picks on the guy saying he knows nothing because he likes Perron*

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
*Agrees that the team's last 2 offseasons were catastrophic but decides it is too hard to admit it so picks on the guy saying he knows nothing because he likes Perron*
Because there is absolutely nothing that substantiates your claim that Perron was an offensive driver in any way.

It’s even worse when you actually watch the games, he was an utter liability 5v5. That had been a sentiment among wings fans well before he left for Ottawa.

Also calling an off season “catastrophic” when they vastly improved in points and missed the post season by zero points while maintaining a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL is certainly a take.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Because there is absolutely nothing that substantiates your claim that Perron was an offensive driver in any way.

It’s even worse when you actually watch the games, he was an utter liability 5v5. That had been a sentiment among wings fans well before he left for Ottawa.

Also calling an off season “catastrophic” when they vastly improved in points and missed the post season by zero points while maintaining a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL is certainly a take.
Saying the Wings have a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL is certainly a take as well, especially now that the Blackhawks have added Levshunov/Boisvert/Vanacker, Sharks have added Celebrini/Dickinson/Chernyshov, Habs have added Demidov/Hage, Anaheim have added Sennecke/Solberg and Utah have added Iginla/Beaudoin.

Anyways, good that you think Stevie Y. has done a great job in those last 2 years. I think he made the team older with many bad deals that will greatly limit their capabilities to improve. Horrible job IMO.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Saying the Wings have a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL is certainly a take as well, especially now that the Blackhawks have added Levshunov/Boisvert/Vanacker, Sharks have added Celebrini/Dickinson/Chernyshov, Habs have added Demidov/Hage, Anaheim have added Sennecke/Solberg and Utah have added Iginla/Beaudoin.

Anyways, good that you think Stevie Y. has done a great job in those last 2 years. I think he made the team older with many bad deals that will greatly limit their capabilities to improve. Horrible job IMO.

What justifies a bad deal? 2 guys not named Larkin signed for more than 3 years. Prospect pool is always debatable but the salary cap is not a problem in Detroit going forward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Feel like this is a mild example of why GMs fear arbitration rights. There's that Sword of Damocles potential deathblow to your expected cap projections dangling overhead...to where, if it just comes out like this as a very mild overpayment, i think you're pretty happy.

There's also the potential that Veleno still has more to give. Last year, he was still seemingly progressing - not a guy who has blatantly "stalled out" or plateaued just yet. Maybe not progressing linearly, but it rarely is. The deal isn't that bad for what he is now, and has the potential to actually be good value if he takes even another small step. So it's hardly some catastrophe.

Just a mild overpay.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Was I wrong?

Holl, Chiarot, Petry... Missing the playoffs, yet again, choking big time in the last months of the season.
They were one of the most improved teams in the league. Crushed expectations. Calling it a choke because you shifted expectations from something like ”bad offseason they will easily miss the playoffs” to ”wow they are better than expected and should easily make the playoffs” doesn’t mean your original opinion about their offseason was correct.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Three players signed more than 3 years, one being Larkin. Plenty of room for the Rayband Seider extensions.

Please explain how all these horrible contracts are “greatly limiting” their capabilities to improve?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Meh. The only time I’ve ever even noticed Veleno is when he intentionally stomped on a guy with his skate.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

So Detroit is a top 5 pool now. Great job splitting hairs here.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Rasmussen's contract can be directly tied to Protas' deal. Both massive middle-six guys that should have been higher up the lineup but haven't but neither team wants to cut bait on them. They are the same player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad