PTO: [DET] F Austin Watson signs PTO with Red Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I liked watty when he was a sen. Hope he cracks your roster.

Not great at anything in particular, but an easy guy to root for.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
As it’s coming up in this post, I’m gonna take a minute to address the accusations people love to throw out here on the internet.

For those who don’t know the background? None of us will ever know exactly what happened that night between Watson and his girlfriend at the time, now his wife… I’ve known Austin for a very long time, and have no problem admitting my opinions are bias to an extent. That said, he’s a very open book about everything that has happened, and led up to that night in Nashville. People can believe he and his wife, or choose not to. They’ve taken responsibility for putting themselves into the situation, and created a lot of good from it. Not sure what more we (as a society) can ask from the couple.

I guarantee you Steve Yzerman isn’t inviting a wife beater to camp. That’s ridiculous. I can also guarantee, in doing their due diligence, it came up before the PTO was offered and it was addressed. It’s now been addressed by 3 teams since the Predators. 3 teams who’ve moved forward, having him in their locker room.

If Austin is fortunate enough to be offered a contract, and those odds shot way up this afternoon after Ottawa signed Cousins, Watson and his wife will address the situation very openly when asked.

The couple does more for others dealing with addiction and toxic relationships, than probably anyone else currently active in the NHL. They’ve taken a horrible situation and turned it into a positive for society. Not an easy thing to do, when dealing with such a topic.

In both Ottawa and Tampa, they’ve donated hundreds of hours and raised a lot of money to help others who find themselves in toxic relationships, fighting addiction.

Austin and his now wife Jenn don’t hide from their story. It’s actually a very inspiring story and anybody and everybody who knows them, have nothing but the greatest things to say about the couple. I’ve known Austin since he was a very young player, and he’s the same shirt off of his back man as he was a kid. He has no problems admitting his issues publicly, and that’s not an easy thing to do. In fact, it’s a very hard thing to do. Especially involving the subject of domestic violence.

The couple has been sober for 5-6 years now, and like I said, don’t hide from their past. The night in question saw Austin charged with a form of attempted domestic abuse for supposedly pushing her in the chest. Both have always denied he’s ever hit her, and Jenn has also openly talked about what led to his charge. She issued a statement later, taking responsibility for the entire incident, saying it didn’t happen as portrayed by others. If anyone’s ever met Jenn, she’s not the type to be frightened of anything. Her story is hers to tell and she is very involved with charities, etc now. All charities regarding addiction, relationships with addictions, etc.

Whatever people choose to believe about that incident, the couple’s story has been nothing but an open book, and ultimately a positive, as they continue to help others who suffer from addiction and toxic relationships. They’re fully aware and admit, their own addictions led to the incident in Tennessee, no matter the actual outcome..

Last I heard about a year ago, Jenn is getting degrees in areas to help counsel those struggling with addiction, and many of the things they went through in their own lives. They now have two little girls and live a very openly sober lifestyle.

If good can ever come from a bad situation, it has in the story of Austin and Jenn Watson.

No matter what happened that night, Austin and Jenn have dealt with it, been open about it, and have dedicated themselves to help other people in similar toxic environments. Austin has also paid any and all debts to society, and continues to go above and beyond those debts today.

That’s not an easy thing, as in doing so, he has to continue telling his story over and over again. Not something your average wife beater would be willing to do.

Once again.. The couple have a great story to tell about overcoming adversity in life. If people choose not to believe them, nor believe people can take a bad situation and turn it into life changing good, that’s something those individuals have to deal with themselves.

Detroit is bringing in a player who’s been through a lot himself, but has also created a whole lot of good from any bad. Someone who will stand up for his teammates on the ice, but also be the first one to answer the phone if they call.

Like I said, we can only go off of what the two have told us about that night. From their actions over the last 5 years, they’ve earned that respect. If people still choose to think otherwise, that’s on those folks. Austin and Jenn can only keep doing what they’ve done everyday since getting sober. Becoming great parents to their daughters, and do a whole lot of good in society.

For all those who attack Watson, very few of them have ever done the amount of good for society as both Austin and Jenn now have.

If he makes the Red Wings, you can count on both continuing to work with those struggling with addiction in Detroit. If there’s ever been a domestic situation in sports, that’s led to a lot of good, this is that story.

So once again, people can form their own judgments. Just make sure before you damn someone, you have enough respect to have all the information to make such a judgment. In life, creating good from bad isn’t easy to do. This couple has done just that.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
As it’s coming up in this post, I’m gonna take a minute to address the accusations people love to throw out here on the internet.

For those who don’t know the background? None of us will ever know exactly what happened that night between Watson and his girlfriend at the time, now his wife… I’ve known Austin for a very long time, and have no problem admitting my opinions are bias to an extent. That said, he’s a very open book about everything that has happened, and led up to that night in Nashville. People can believe he and his wife, or choose not to. They’ve taken responsibility for putting themselves into the situation, and created a lot of good from it. Not sure what more we (as a society) can ask from the couple.

I guarantee you Steve Yzerman isn’t inviting a wife beater to camp. That’s ridiculous. I can also guarantee, in doing their due diligence, it came up before the PTO was offered and it was addressed. It’s now been addressed by 3 teams since the Predators. 3 teams who’ve moved forward, having him in their locker room.

If Austin is fortunate enough to be offered a contract, and those odds shot way up this afternoon after Ottawa signed Cousins, Watson and his wife will address the situation very openly when asked.

The couple does more for others dealing with addiction and toxic relationships, than probably anyone else currently active in the NHL. They’ve taken a horrible situation and turned it into a positive for society. Not an easy thing to do, when dealing with such a topic.

In both Ottawa and Tampa, they’ve donated hundreds of hours and raised a lot of money to help others who find themselves in toxic relationships, fighting addiction.

Austin and his now wife Jenn don’t hide from their story. It’s actually a very inspiring story and anybody and everybody who knows them, have nothing but the greatest things to say about the couple. I’ve known Austin since he was a very young player, and he’s the same shirt off of his back man as he was a kid. He has no problems admitting his issues publicly, and that’s not an easy thing to do. In fact, it’s a very hard thing to do. Especially involving the subject of domestic violence.

The couple has been sober for 5-6 years now, and like I said, don’t hide from their past. The night in question saw Austin charged with a form of attempted domestic abuse for supposedly pushing her in the chest. Both have always denied he’s ever hit her, and Jenn has also openly talked about what led to his charge. She issued a statement later, taking responsibility for the entire incident, saying it didn’t happen as portrayed by others. If anyone’s ever met Jenn, she’s not the type to be frightened of anything. Her story is hers to tell and she is very involved with charities, etc now. All charities regarding addiction, relationships with addictions, etc.

Whatever people choose to believe about that incident, the couple’s story has been nothing but an open book, and ultimately a positive, as they continue to help others who suffer from addiction and toxic relationships. They’re fully aware and admit, their own addictions led to the incident in Tennessee, no matter the actual outcome..

Last I heard about a year ago, Jenn is getting degrees in areas to help counsel those struggling with addiction, and many of the things they went through in their own lives. They now have two little girls and live a very openly sober lifestyle.

If good can ever come from a bad situation, it has in the story of Austin and Jenn Watson.

No matter what happened that night, Austin and Jenn have dealt with it, been open about it, and have dedicated themselves to help other people in similar toxic environments. Austin has also paid any and all debts to society, and continues to go above and beyond those debts today.

That’s not an easy thing, as in doing so, he has to continue telling his story over and over again. Not something your average wife beater would be willing to do.

Once again.. The couple have a great story to tell about overcoming adversity in life. If people choose not to believe them, nor believe people can take a bad situation and turn it into life changing good, that’s something those individuals have to deal with themselves.

Detroit is bringing in a player who’s been through a lot himself, but has also created a whole lot of good from any bad. Someone who will stand up for his teammates on the ice, but also be the first one to answer the phone if they call.

Like I said, we can only go off of what the two have told us about that night. From their actions over the last 5 years, they’ve earned that respect. If people still choose to think otherwise, that’s on those folks. Austin and Jenn can only keep doing what they’ve done everyday since getting sober. Becoming great parents to their daughters, and do a whole lot of good in society.

For all those who attack Watson, very few of them have ever done the amount of good for society as both Austin and Jenn now have.

If he makes the Red Wings, you can count on both continuing to work with those struggling with addiction in Detroit. If there’s ever been a domestic situation in sports, that’s led to a lot of good, this is that story.

So once again, people can form their own judgments. Just make sure before you damn someone, you have enough respect to have all the information to make such a judgment. In life, creating good from bad isn’t easy to do. This couple has done just that.

Don't you know this is the Internet where facts don't matter? The only thing that matters is that the usual suspects need something to be offended about and the truth shall not get in the way of some good old virtue signaling damnit!

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
His girlfriend was intoxicated which led to police involvement that day, she even admitted to it. He didn't hit or abuse her, again her words.
The cop on the scene witnessed him shoving her, as did others at the gas station, and the cop noted red marks on her from the shoving. She also admitted on the scene that he "gets handsy" with her. Her being intoxicated isn't an excuse. Don't bring that bullshit to me.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Irrespective of his off-ice past, he was a solid foot soldier in the bottom six on the Sens.

As an enforcer, he was always willing to fight (and usually lose), but he could play a regular shift and was a decent penalty killer.

Ottawa let him go (likely due to different ideas around contracts) and replaced him with MacEwan who was a downgrade in the end.
First thing that came to mind -

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The cop on the scene witnessed him shoving her, as did others at the gas station, and the cop noted red marks on her from the shoving. She also admitted on the scene that he "gets handsy" with her. Her being intoxicated isn't an excuse. Don't bring that bullshit to me.

Oh no, they were drunk and he shoved her several years ago and in your mind hasn't changed since then? We must alert the church elders!

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Oh no, they were drunk and he shoved her several years ago and in your mind hasn't changed since then? We must alert the church elders!
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on the character of an abusive person. Sorry for offending you, person who seems to think it's no big deal.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes, he shoved a drunk woman who was hitting him and acting like a fool inside of a car. We can also add to the fact she was drunk when the " gets handsy " quote comes into it.

He made a mistake pushing her, but lets not act like he ripped her out of the car and beat her down. It was not that level of domestic assault.

Reactions: Oddbob

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I swear that no amount of "he shoved a drunk woman" or "she was hitting him, too!" is going to, in my mind, excuse a person for being abusive themselves. I'm not sure what about my disposition makes people think I may be swayed by that. As far as I'm concerned, he shouldn't be in the league. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I swear that no amount of "he shoved a drunk woman" or "she was hitting him, too!" is going to, in my mind, excuse a person for being abusive themselves. I'm not sure what about my disposition makes people think I may be swayed by that. As far as I'm concerned, he shouldn't be in the league. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
No one is trying to sway you. If you are allowed to have your opinion, then you gotta deal with others having theirs. If you can't deal with that then you probably shouldn't post that opinion on a public message board.

Reactions: Hobnobs

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
No one is trying to sway you. If you are allowed to have your opinion, then you gotta deal with others having theirs. If you can't deal with that then you probably shouldn't post that opinion on a public message board.
Cool

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Ain't bullshit at all, she was drunk when she said he gets handsy. Not exactly the most reliable source.

OccidentalOctopus

Garbage Poster
May 31, 2023
The Trash

Post of the year.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on the character of an abusive person. Sorry for offending you, person who seems to think it's no big deal.

Dude, you're the only one in here crying about alleged abuse where the alleged victim ended up marrying him with no incident since.

You are watering down the term "abuser" and are more harmful to the cause you claim to fight for.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I've always liked Austin Watson as a hockey player. A lot of people make or have made a huge deal out of that one night disregarding what followed. He ain't saint, but then again who of us are? I haven't read enough about them to know who of them was a bigger POS in their relationship back then and frankly I don't care. I do hope Watson gets a contract, thought.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A similar situation to Voynov, there's substantial reason to believe something untoward happened but the alleged victim insists otherwise so it's hard to deny a career based on what is so far an isolated incident. As long as they keep him on a short leash I don't have a major problem with this.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Some would say he was just defending himself if she was the attacker.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Anyways back to hockey. Good for Detroit - they are soft except for Chiarot.

Is Tampa now the softest team in the league? No Jeannot or Watson…Cernak isn’t really much of a fighter - he’s good for 1-2 scraps.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
A similar situation to Voynov, there's substantial reason to believe something untoward happened but the alleged victim insists otherwise so it's hard to deny a career based on what is so far an isolated incident. As long as they keep him on a short leash I don't have a major problem with this.

I think there is a big difference between "a shove and a red mark on the body" and "punched, kicked and choking and a woman reported by police to have bleeding wounds on her face and red marks around her neck"

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

Thanks for this post.

While I knew that Watson had that incident, I’d long looked at it with the assumption that his offense must not have been on the same level as say, Slava Voynov.

The additional details help. Best of luck to him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Thanks for this post.

While I knew that Watson had that incident, I’d long looked at it with the assumption that his offense must not have been on the same level as say, Slava Voynov.

The additional details help. Best of luck to him.
It wasn't on that level, and that's from the eyewitnesses, including the officer, and video from the store. He pushed her. There was no slap, fists, or kicking used. She wasn't bleeding, and I'm not even sure there was even any bruising.

Reactions: WhataKnight

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I came in here, slightly overwhelmed, preparing to make about 1/20th of this argument.

You nailed it.

Watson and his partner were heading down a slippery slope, hit their rock bottom, learned from it, made drastic, positive life changes, and then did everything in their power to help others in a similar situation.

Anyone who continues to condemn Watson either doesnt know his situation or doesn’t believe in rehabilitation.

IMO, what Watson has to offer is as much off-ice (his commitment in the community AND his support & candor with young pros / teammates going through personal struggles) as he does on-ice (he will do ANYTHING within his capabilities to win).

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You can have an opinion. But that opinion is uninformed and wrong. So there's that.
As the poster above said, Watson and his wife have handled this as well as anyone could have done. I hope he gets a contract and has a good year. There's a funny video out there from when he scored a goal for Nashville and was on a hot mic telling someone from the other team "Yeah, I used to be good, and then all the fighting and stuff.."

Reactions: Copenhagen91

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I tend to believe that rather thorough post as opposed to a pithy and profane response from someone with an ax to grind and little familiarity as to what actually happened.

When did these boards become a haven for such posts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad