PTO: [DET] F Austin Watson signs PTO with Red Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Irrespective of his off-ice past, he was a solid foot soldier in the bottom six on the Sens.

As an enforcer, he was always willing to fight (and usually lose), but he could play a regular shift and was a decent penalty killer.

Ottawa let him go (likely due to different ideas around contracts) and replaced him with MacEwan who was a downgrade in the end.

Reactions: Gh24 and Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Thought he was a better fighter last year. He surprised me on the PK when we played against him. He’s decent as a 4th liner or a fill in guy.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
PTOs are fun stories to watch. Most teams need a couple vets on try outs to hit the vet minimum requirements for preseason games.

No idea if Watson can land a spot.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well, if he gets a contract and fights Pezzetta he'll probably win.

That will be his only win, but he can PK, be a physical forward, but sometimes he's an idiot.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
How does this trash ass player continue to get looks.
Because he’s the hardest working player in the NHL and would take a puck to face and drop the gloves with prime Bob Probart to win a preseason game. If he’s your 13th forward on a cup contender then you aren’t in a bad position. His work ethic makes him a “good” 4th liner

cc

Feb 28, 2002
not a great fighter but he's willing and he does throw his body around so I don't think this would be too bad for the Wings

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019

Detroit has a busy preseason slate and they end with three games in three days. Naturally I wouldn't expect too many of the opening night rosters guys to even play in two of those games.

A warm body PTO like Watson can spare another vet from having to suit up.

Good point about the schedule.

I try to bring up essentially the same thing in lots of PTO threads. Some fans panic thinking it's somehow a bad move to bring in a player on a PTO when they're lousy. But even a lousy player can fill a sweater in a preseason game. Those games have a minimum number of vet players that each team must dress. So having a couple dudes on try outs gives your expected opening day roster a bit of a break.

Reactions: Brodeur

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They were going to sign him last summer but it fell through. It’s gonna come down to being the 23rd player on the roster and no rookies stepping up, for him to make it. At least minus any trades of current forwards.

Another Detroit kid who’s had lots of connections around town. Good chance he’d sign a two-way, or even an AHL deal with GR as well. At least more than any other AHL team. Then see what happens with injuries, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad