Proposal: (DET/CGY) Määttä + Husso for Hanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think the proposal and reasoning shows a vast misunderstanding of Calgary’s situation. It’s Wolf’s net, and after the inconsistency he showed last year, having him in the NHL doesn’t hurt getting a higher draft pick (might honestly help it).

I’m all for brining in another goalie as a cap dump, but that player won’t displace Wolf, and we certainly need to be more incentivized to do so.

It’s essentially paying $5m for “maybe a 2nd” by flipping Maata and a C prospect. No thanks.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames are being ran right now in such a bizzare way that I think they'd make this deal.
How so? They are selling off assets for futures right now. The plan is clearly to get a high draft pick next year. They have the lowest cap hit in the league now. How is that bizarre?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's more how they got to this point than anything else.
The team had great depth pieces but their two stars bailed on the team post COVID. They tried to replace the stars, but it didn't work out and they pivoted towards a rebuild instead. Not that weird.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
"weaponize their cap space" "TOTAL CAP = $5.3750m"

... does not add up to...

"lower end prospect, not one of DET's top 15 prospects"

$5.3M in extra cap is worth the 31st overall pick according to puckpedia.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I disagree that Calgary's LD is weak.

Calgary's D corp won't be that bad. In experienced to a degree, but not bad talent wise.

Weegar/Miromanov
Bahl/Andersson
Bean/Pachal
Solovyov/Hanley

If anything, I could see Andersson being traded to allow Weegar to move back to his natural position and allow Solo to play regularly and also allow Kutznetsov to come up.

Calgary has D-men in the A that are almost ready to make the jump and all left D - Poirier, Grushnikov, Kutznetsov, Solovyov.

Alertnatively Hanley could play full time with Andersson and bump Bahl and Bean down.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Pittsburgh got a 2nd to add 3.5 in cap space and technically take on a player that hypothetically, but probably not realistically, fills a need of improving the bottom six.

Calgary is offered Detroit's 16th best prospect to add like 5 mil in cap and take on players they don't have a need for?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Treliving made some gambles and most of them ended up terribly but he's gone now so I don't think that matters much anymore.
This may surprise you, but that was the point of my OP and until there's real forward change, it's still bizzare. It's easy for any management to tear down and start to build, but are they really going to be better than the people you had before? Granted my dirty socks are better, but well... here's hoping.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This may surprise you, but that was the point of my OP and until there's real forward change, it's still bizzare. It's easy for any management to tear down and start to build, but are they really going to be better than the people you had before? Granted my dirty socks are better, but well... here's hoping.

There has been change but only so much can be done so quickly. Every GM has their strengths and weaknesses so being better is always possible. We could also just end up with a different version of bad though. I think Conroy will be better at betting on the right players than Treliving was but I doubt he'll be able to pull off some of the great trades that Brad could. It's still too early to really be able to judge Conroy because we haven't seen the results yet.

Reactions: GoldenSeal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad