Destiny 2 - Lightfall 2/28

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Love how they've been building up the story for this raid over the past few seasons.

Looking like it's gonna be centered around Nezarac

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The campaign storyline is a disaster. You have to back to launch Destiny 1 for a narrative that does a worse job of establishing stakes or giving the player a reason to care. The supplementary story content is good, so I have hope the Raid will pay off some long-standing lore.

Neomura is a fun setting. Strand is fun but feels under-powered. I used Solar or Void as much as possible in the Legendary campaign.

The new build/mod/ui is fantastic.

The changes to nightfalls and nightfall modifiers are excellent.

Bungie has once again flipped off the PVP community. Basically no new content at all. Ill play Comp and Trials for the god-rolls of Rose (still evading me) and the new Trials weapons, but Im not sure why any casual player would ever venture in there. I’ve heard the same from Gambit fans, but I dont really play that mode.

Seasom of Defiance as some good story/lore.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Bungie surprised dropped a new exotic quest today for a Void Glaive that is absolutely nuts. Blocking gives an over shield that recharges with melee kills.

The campaign for Lightfall was god awful but I am loving the season plus all the post campaign content on Neomuna. Haven't used Strand a ton yet but I'll get paired up with people who absolutely destroy with it so I'm sure I'll start to warm up to a build soon

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Bungie surprised dropped a new exotic quest today for a Void Glaive that is absolutely nuts. Blocking gives an over shield that recharges with melee kills.

The campaign for Lightfall was god awful but I am loving the season plus all the post campaign content on Neomuna. Haven't used Strand a ton yet but I'll get paired up with people who absolutely destroy with it so I'm sure I'll start to warm up to a build soon
Lightfall is Bungies version of The Mandalorian in how it's telling a story. This was Chapter 1.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
it's pretty bad compared to Witch Queen....which incidentally is clearly the expansion in which Strand belonged (I'm assuming it simply wasn't ready a year ago) visually, thematically, and in terms of story. It feeled shoehorned into the completely different vibe and theme of Neomuna.

My issue is...1 strike? 1? in an expansion you charge full game price for?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
it's pretty bad compared to Witch Queen....which incidentally is clearly the expansion in which Strand belonged (I'm assuming it simply wasn't ready a year ago) visually, thematically, and in terms of story. It feeled shoehorned into the completely different vibe and theme of Neomuna.

My issue is...1 strike? 1? in an expansion you charge full game price for?
Keep playing. There's so much more to the story after Lightfall and the new Raid opens up tomorrow.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The new Prophecy Dungeon weapons are so broken in PVP. Obviously, they toned down the inherent trait compared to PVE, but combined with some of the perk combos, these weapons are just out of control.

I spent most of last night farming and got The Sudden Death Shotgun with Threat Detector, Opening Shot and Range masterwork. Combined with the Inherent perk that adds damage to the bottom of the magazine, I can map pretty much anybody.

I also got an SMG from the same encounter that has Dyamic Sway Reduction and Onslaught. Combined, again, with the inherent trait that gives increased range at the top of the magazine and increased damage at the bottom... this thing shreds.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Seems like Bungie generally being ran piss poorly for eons finally caught up to them. Halo 2 was released essentially unfinished, Halo 1 was a mess behind the scenes, Destiny 1 was bad to the point one of its expansions was tossed out, then rebuilt in the span of just over 2 months. Hell even Destiny 2 was rebooted late in development

What's mindblowing to me is the claims from a former employee that they were steps from insolvency despite the money D2 was raking in. Bonkers.

Also can't imagine Sony is pleased with the fact Bungie lied about their finances before they acquired them.

Can't say i'm sad about it. Hopefully with the sacred cow of live service going up in flames the rest of the industry takes note and starts to move away from it.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I played Destiny 1 alot, got all the expansions and thought it was a great time. The move to 2 didn't feel the same and I played it less and less till maybe five years ago when I finally deleted it, needing to pay for multi-player on PS was the last straw.

Reactions: Turin

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Can't say i'm sad about it. Hopefully with the sacred cow of live service going up in flames the rest of the industry takes note and starts to move away from it.
Live service games still make more money than God. Destiny was just perennially mismanaged.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I played Destiny 1 alot, got all the expansions and thought it was a great time. The move to 2 didn't feel the same and I played it less and less till maybe five years ago when I finally deleted it, needing to pay for multi-player on PS was the last straw.
Destiny 2 was super fun, but I haven't the game since Shadowkeep. Some of the tactics that Destiny decided to employ are shady AF and were a big turn-off for me. For example, in Shadowkeep, they prolonged the campaign by forcing the player to grind to get a special armour piece you needed in every slot, which would unlock the final battle against the main villian. Think about it, the DLC was so barebones that they had to spread it by doing a Pejorative Slured quest that extended the game time.

That was sort of my breaking point, I don't see the appeal to grind for 10010101000101010 virtual weapons anymore. The other part which pissed me off was the removal of some planets, meaning that if I wanted to pick up the game at any time and go do a quest I wanted to finish, I now could not. I was doing my best to get the Mars armour and weapon set (specifically the shotgun) from that Taken raid and when Bungie said they were going to remove Mars when the new DLC planets were coming, it seriously killed any remaining interest in the game (and FTR I have Whisper of the Worm and Sleeper Simulant: not saying those guns are the hardest to get, but I dedicate quite a bit of time in Destiny).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Seems like Bungie generally being ran piss poorly for eons finally caught up to them. Halo 2 was released essentially unfinished, Halo 1 was a mess behind the scenes, Destiny 1 was bad to the point one of its expansions was tossed out, then rebuilt in the span of just over 2 months. Hell even Destiny 2 was rebooted late in development

What's mindblowing to me is the claims from a former employee that they were steps from insolvency despite the money D2 was raking in. Bonkers.

Also can't imagine Sony is pleased with the fact Bungie lied about their finances before they acquired them.

There's no evidence Bungie lied about their finances.

During the FTC court cases regarding Microsoft's acquisition of Activision, it came out in discovery that Microsoft had investigated buying Bungie. They opted not to when they looked at Bungie's books and found that they had a very high 'cash burn rate'. Sony was privy to the same books Microsoft was, it would be fraud otherwise.

It does seem clear that Bungie over-sold their projections for the future, but it's on Sony to ask questions and run their own models to determine whether Bungie's projections are realistic.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Have been getting some massive nostalgia for Destiny lately after reading about the plights of Bungie. I played the absolute crap out of D1 from the day it released to the Rise of Iron. To this day in terms of hours spent I'm quite sure Destiny is my most played game of all time. Helped that I was unemployed for a big chunk of its release. Then I got Destiny 2 and enjoyed it for a month before realizing there was nothing left to do because they just handed me all the loot I wanted and PVP was in a bad state. Then I just never picked it up again after I learned about the XP throttling.

I'm half temped to try to jump to play some of the newer expansions but.. I just don't know. I do miss the gameplay quite a bit but the game also seems to be dying now because there's little hope on the horizon for its future - which is pathetic. They could have turned this franchise into a money printing machine with some decent management.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00