OT: Desktop App Development

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Would anyone be interested in developing a desktop application with moi that revolves around the Habs?

I've already started building the UI and it would include features such as HF boards built into it (users wouldn't have to open a web browser), schedule, news etc.

As of now it will strictly for Windows as it uses the .NET 4.5 framework and Windows Presentation Foundation (just so I'm clear it's built using C#).

Not looking for experienced developers as I know time can be a challenge. I'd take any help I can get whether you are a student in comp sci or a hobbyist.

My reasoning for this:
I've always hated having to open a browser with multiple tabs, chat client, etc just to get the information I want. The ultimate goal is to have this application to cross platform including mobile.

Let me know if you are interested by posting or by PM.

Example of UI (still a work in progress):
kJWrrvU.jpg

Last edited:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
have you looked into how you will fetch data from the NHL database? i'm wondering how open the league is about 3rd party apps

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I'm still in the process of finding reliable sites etc.
I know there are RSS feeds for player movement etc. I don't the NHL would have a problem, I could always contact them (maybe I should).

@Zar I'll msg the group let me know if you get it.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I can help with the design, not necessarily with actually design stuff but giving ideas. Also willing to contribute other ideas if needed on certain issues.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Are you sure a desktop app is the way to go? Unless that's where your particular interest lies, I'd say a mobile app would make more sense.

If I find time in the next few months, I'll brush up on my c# and lend a hand. Let's just say I'm really hoping not to have much free time, though :laugh:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Lol.
I figured first a desktop application to generate interest. I do plan on making an Android/iOS (barring there is interest). Since BB10 allows you to side load android apps that kills 2 birds with one stone.

I'd most likely use Mono to make it cross platform because it makes life easier then having to re-write everything. Right now it's a private project that I have someone interested in helping develop. Once it's close to done I will announce a beta round to a few select members here.

It's actually my first project so people will have to bare with me/us.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I may be able to help with a BB10 app. I have tried to build a thrid party habs app already and haven't gotten far and really haven't got a chance to get back to it in a while. I have all the software downloaded just a matter of coding.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I'm using visual studio atm but will eventually switch to Mono IDE for android/iOS development.

Just PM me your details.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm using visual studio atm but will eventually switch to Mono IDE for android/iOS development.

Just PM me your details.

You're braver than I am. I wouldn't give up my visual studio with visual assist/intellisense for Mono. You'd have to pry it from my cold, twitchy, dead hands.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
You're braver than I am. I wouldn't give up my visual studio with visual assist/intellisense for Mono. You'd have to pry it from my cold, twitchy, dead hands.

Lol. Mono has come a long way. The benefit of using the Mono project is that I can keep all the source as C# for all platforms (obviously would have to change some stuff around), it makes life easier.

I'm using VS2012 Ultimate right to build it for Windows. I'll be doing some work on it in a 2 hours or so, if you want to chime in let me know (if you have time today).

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Just bumping this to let everyone know that the project is now hosted on Github as a private repo.

Still looking for people that are interested.

Also the project is going to be league wide and not strictly for my beloved Habs.

Let me know if you'd like to contribute.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Bumping this.

I haven't done any development since January of 2014. Now that I have a bit more free time, I've decided to get back into it.

Would anyone be still interested?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad