Rumor: "Decision has been made" to trade or waive Trouba - Larry Brooks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Getting him to San Jose with no retention would be as simple as waiving him.

Sharks would grab him in heartbeat
I imagine they wouldn't. They'd call up the Rangers and say "we'll trade you Benning for him or you have to give us a pick or you have to retain $1m in salary". There's no reason to take him at the full $8.0m cap hit for 2 years when NYR is desperate and you can easily get SOMETHING for taking him. Grier is smart.

Trouba at $7.0m cap hit or Trouba comes with a pick, or Sharks get to dump Benning. Pick your poison.

Reactions: NoelVilla

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I imagine they wouldn't. They'd call up the Rangers and say "we'll trade you Benning for him or you have to give us a pick or you have to retain $1m in salary". There's no reason to take him at the full $8.0m cap hit for 2 years when NYR is desperate and you can easily get SOMETHING for taking him. Grier is smart.

Trouba at $7.0m cap hit or Trouba comes with a pick, or Sharks get to dump Benning. Pick your poison.

Except for the NTC Trouba has, which many are assuming San Jose would be on. However, a waiver claim isn’t a trade, so Trouba couldn’t block it, and ends up in San Jose anyway with nothing else required for the Rangers.

Everyone laughing about Trouba requiring a pick to move doesn’t seem to be understanding the idea that he does still have value to enough teams in the league where, at worst, he is waived and plays elsewhere “for free” to the Rangers. He can only block a trade to 15 teams - that doesn’t make him a cap dump.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I can see the sens in on him once Roy signs somewhere else (which he will)
That would be really stupid, but Ottawa these days does seem to have a fetish for big mean stupid hockey players, yeah. Would definitely come with $2m or $2.5m retention though. I think Ottawa would have zero interest at $8.0m.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Who is looking to tear down right now and rebuild? I looked into it and the number of options are surprisingly low. San Jose and mayyybe Anaheim. Calgary in theory but I doubt it.

CALGARY - The cap room isn't there and Calgary has enough RHD. If Rasmus Andersson is moved and NYR takes back some salary (Kadri? Coleman?) then it's theoretically workable. I don't really see a fit though. Calgary doesn't need help to reach the cap floor, and NYR don't want Kadri or Coleman most likely.
Since when is $29 million not enough cap space? The Flames could and should be taking on contracts for picks at this point.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Except for the NTC Trouba has, which many are assuming San Jose would be on. However, a waiver claim isn’t a trade, so Trouba couldn’t block it, and ends up in San Jose anyway with nothing else required for the Rangers.

Everyone laughing about Trouba requiring a pick to move doesn’t seem to be understanding the idea that he does still have value to enough teams in the league where, at worst, he is waived and plays elsewhere “for free” to the Rangers. He can only block a trade to 15 teams - that doesn’t make him a cap dump.
Okay then, so...

Rangers and Sharks agree to "Trouba for Benning" or "Trouba + 5th for future considerations".

Step 1
NYR waive Trouba

Step 2
SJS claim Trouba

Step 3
SJS trades Benning to NYR for future considerations
or
SJS trades 5th + 7th for (NYR worst ELC kid, failing low-end prospect) + 7th

Problem solved.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
That would be really stupid, but Ottawa these days does seem to have a fetish for big mean stupid hockey players, yeah. Would definitely come with $2m or $2.5m retention though. I think Ottawa would have zero interest at $8.0m.
Trouba at 5/5.5 isn’t the worst thing for 2 years. Sanderson can cover for a portion of his insanity. And then he can be limited in key moments.

Plus we can shed some salary too.

The reason the sens have this need is bc it is a need. Our D is incredibly soft.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nah, they'd probably either try to get a sweetener or just let him ride. They aren't a Jacob Trouba @ 8 million away from anything.
I don't think the Sharks do. They may not be a Trouba @ 8 mil away from being a playoff team but Trouba would be their #1 RD with Benning, Emberson, and Rutta behind him. They'd be a more competitive team with him than w/o him and have the cap space for it. Another reason is that the Sharks could definitely swing value from Trouba in the 2025-26 season when they would have a retention slot available to rent him at 50% when his contract is expiring. They could easily get a 2nd at minimum for Trouba at 4 mil.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Okay then, so...

Rangers and Sharks agree to "Trouba for Benning" or "Trouba + 5th for future considerations".

Step 1
NYR waive Trouba

Step 2
SJS claim Trouba

Step 3
SJS trades Benning to NYR for future considerations
or
SJS trades 5th + 7th for (NYR worst ELC kid, failing low-end prospect) + 7th

Problem solved.

Or… NYR waives Trouba. San Jose claims him. The end. Why overcomplicate things? I don’t understand the need for people to feel like Trouba is a pure cap dump and requires assets to move.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think the Sharks do. They may not be a Trouba @ 8 mil away from being a playoff team but Trouba would be their #1 RD with Benning, Emberson, and Rutta behind him. They'd be a more competitive team with him than w/o him and have the cap space for it. Another reason is that the Sharks could definitely swing value from Trouba in the 2025-26 season when they would have a retention slot available to rent him at 50% when his contract is expiring. They could easily get a 2nd at minimum for Trouba at 4 mil.
Maybe but Trouba has to be better than he was last year to be worth a 2nd for $4 million AAV.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Can't see why any team would claim him doing the Rangers a massive favor for free
Someone like the Sharks who have a shit ton of cap space and need veterans and guys to eat up minutes .

He has 2 years left, the Sharks are more than 2 years away , so it makes sense for them to do it I guess

He’ll start getting suspended for his hits now
He got suspended this year, not for a hit though but for a high stick

Reactions: Profet

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
you still can ask the rangers to attach another asset.
In a waiver claim to circumvent his NTC? Boy would the NHLPA have a field day with that.

Folks are already up in arms over them circumventing Goodrow's NTC. I suspect them suddenly giving a good pick for future considerations or a terrible prospect would be too obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad