Movies: Deadpool & Wolverine

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I thought this was amazing. I'll admit recency bias rn, ask me again in a few years, but this was my favorite of the 3 Deadpool movies and I loved all 3.

Great cameos, fun action, funny jokes. I was expecting a Tom Wamgans joke though and never got it aha.

Strange that Domino wasn't in it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know people are trying to be contrarian and everyone has different senses of humor but honestly I don't know how you could walk into that movie if you didn't have any prior prejudices and say that movie sucked. It was easily one of the best movies since Endgame.
I mean if someone hated the character or had no idea who he was then I could get it. Otherwise I just don't now how that wasn't at least an enjoyable movie.

Reactions: John Price

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I know people are trying to be contrarian and everyone has different senses of humor but honestly I don't know how you could walk into that movie if you didn't have any prior prejudices and say that movie sucked. It was easily one of the best movies since Endgame.
I definitely did not think it sucked. I laughed a fair amount and found some (but not all) of the cameos to be amusing. It's pretty well acted. Jackman is great and I dug Emma Corrin's Cassandra Nova.

But I do think there are plenty of flaws. The story is some real wheel-spinning. Ultimately zero stakes. Doesn't advance the MCU. Doesn't advance Deadpool. Doesn't establish the X-Men. All the toys go back into the same place in the box they were before the movie started. Fun while it lasted, but ultimately pretty inconsequential. For all the Marvel Jesus jokes and dunking on multiversal story telling, this just did all the same unsatisfying shit (but with bits!)

It's really more of a movie about real life business deals and movie gossip than it is about its own characters. Some of the jokes are funny, but the movie's really about Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox and Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman than it is about Deadpool & Wolverine. Just like Spider-Man: No Way Home is actually about the Marvel-Sony business deal and Rise of Skywalker is about all the panicked corporate notes on The Last Jedi. I understand that Deadpool being meta allows him to make these jokes, but it kinda underlines how there's no there there.

One of the best since Endgame is, I think, TRUE, but it's still pretty faint praise given the output since then. I definitely prefer Guardians 3 and Multiverse of Madness and PROBABLY No Way Home. But the choices get real thin real fast for sure. In the overall MCU and Fox/X-Men series I'd put this about in the middle of the pack for both.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: shadow1

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I definitely did not think it sucked. I laughed a fair amount and found some (but not all) of the cameos to be amusing. It's pretty well acted. Jackman is great and I dug Emma Corrin's Cassandra Nova.

But I do think there are plenty of flaws. The story is a some real wheel-spinning. Ultimately zero stakes. Doesn't advance the MCU. Doesn't advance Deadpool. Doesn't establish the X-Men. All the toys go back into the same place in the box they were before the movie started. Fun while it lasted, but ultimately pretty inconsequential. For all the Marvel Jesus jokes and dunking on multiversal story telling, this just did all the same unsatisfying shit (but with bits!)

It is now even bigger than Jesus

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

But I do think there are plenty of flaws. The story is some real wheel-spinning. Ultimately zero stakes. Doesn't advance the MCU. Doesn't advance Deadpool. Doesn't establish the X-Men. All the toys go back into the same place in the box they were before the movie started. Fun while it lasted, but ultimately pretty inconsequential. For all the Marvel Jesus jokes and dunking on multiversal story telling, this just did all the same unsatisfying shit (but with bits!)

It's really more of a movie about real life business deals and movie gossip than it is about its own characters. Some of the jokes are funny, but the movie's really about Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox and Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman than it is about Deadpool & Wolverine. Just like Spider-Man: No Way Home is actually about the Marvel-Sony business deal and Rise of Skywalker is about all the panicked corporate notes on The Last Jedi. I understand that Deadpool being meta allows him to make these jokes, but it kinda underlines how there's no there there.

One of the best since Endgame is, I think, TRUE, but it's still pretty faint praise given the output since then. I definitely prefer Guardians 3 and Multiverse of Madness and PROBABLY No Way Home. But the choices get real thin real fast for sure. In the overall MCU and Fox/X-Men series I'd put this about in the middle of the pack for both.

I think it does more than you’re mentioning. For one, it re-establishes Wolverine into the MCU and brings Deadpool as well. I also believe is establishes that the timeline Deadpool and Wolverine are in at the end is the main X-men timelines that will clash in Secret Wars. Where we we saw Monica Rambeau wake up in at the end of The Marvels.

Getting the TVA on the big screen helps establish their MCU presence as well. When it as mentioned the “higher ups” see something big for Deadpool, I believe there is some foreshadowing there too.

Advancing the multiverse story and upping those stakes might have been too much for a Deadpool movie, and complicated things too much. It also might have put them in a position to feature Deadpool as main character in Secret Wars which I don’t believe is the intent.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A lot of fun and some really great cameos.

Only one complaint and it literally doesn't matter at all, but I just don't know why they refuse to have this back story in either Logan or here:

In the Old Man Logan storyline, Mysterio tricks him into believing the mansion has been attacked by a group of super villains. He kills them all only to have it revealed that he has actually butchered all of his teammates. Would have fit so perfectly into him being the "worst Logan." And would have had so much more impact than a random group of humans came and wiped the x-men out and he felt guilty because he'd been out drinking? And instead of generic screams of him getting revenge on people we could have the screams of his teammates trying to get him to stop as he kills them all.

Otherwise its a Deadpool movie. Hits all the right notes. Ryan Reynolds really does a great job with the character and its amazing that Hugh Jackman, who has been playing this character for nearly 25 years now, is still killing it.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm intrigued with how much he's going to interact with the broader MCU. On one hand, the movies make so much $$$ that it's inevitable he's going to have to have a big part. On the other, he's such a singular and distinct character I think making him a key part of the MCU going forward is a big challenge given his whole self-aware schtick. Making him more serious undermines the character, but letting him run wild undermines a more normal story.

Perhaps they just use him as a little bit of seasoning and comic relief in movies that aren't specific Deadpool movies?

Honestly, what I think I'd kinda like to see is something similar to the Deadpool Secret Wars comics where they took the 1980s Secret Wars and redid them with him popping up and doing his shit. They could have an MCU movie then a separate wall-breaking "Deadpool cut" of the movie that would probably play more like a spoof. They'd obviously never do this and I'm not even sure my idea is a good idea. I'm just struggling to mesh a more serious MCU with stakes and a self-referential stakeless Deadpool.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I can envision Deadpool in the MCU. He could still be wisecracking but without 4th wall breaks. I can live without the 4th wall breaks even if I know it is part of his schtick.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Agree completely. Funny movie, 7/10 for me, but I considered a 6/10.

The premise didn't feel natural to me. Deadpool being down on his luck felt forced, and his motivation to join The Avengers conflicts with the last two movies, where he did everything in his power not to join the X-Men. At the end of the movie, all that's accomplished is he's one step closer to getting back where we left him at the end of Deadpool 2: with his "family" and possibly Vanessa... who would totally leave him after he traveled back in time to save her, by the way!

I also thought there were too many antagonists. Mr. Paradox was fine, but Cassandra Nova added nothing for me. Her entire character motivation was "I'm evil!" and her nefarious intentions more-or-less aligned with Paradox. They could've cut her out and just had the smoke dragon thing be the "big bad" of the wasteland scenes.

The ending was also rough. Again - the journey there was fun. But concluding the movie with a cliched sacrifice scene involving a special effects bonanza feels like something the previous Deadpool movies would poke fun at other superhero movies for doing. Especially when they had to quickly cram and explain to the audience how the machine worked right before Deadpool and Wolverine went into the chamber.

Still enjoyed the movie because the comedy was top tier, but not my favorite of the series.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Easily the best marvel movie I've seen in years. The comedy with Deadpool just seems to work whereas throwing humor into other big moments of marvel movies doesn't for me. Maybe it's because I expect it, idk.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
A lot of fun and some really great cameos.

Only one complaint and it literally doesn't matter at all, but I just don't know why they refuse to have this back story in either Logan or here:

In the Old Man Logan storyline, Mysterio tricks him into believing the mansion has been attacked by a group of super villains. He kills them all only to have it revealed that he has actually butchered all of his teammates. Would have fit so perfectly into him being the "worst Logan." And would have had so much more impact than a random group of humans came and wiped the x-men out and he felt guilty because he'd been out drinking? And instead of generic screams of him getting revenge on people we could have the screams of his teammates trying to get him to stop as he kills them all.

Otherwise its a Deadpool movie. Hits all the right notes. Ryan Reynolds really does a great job with the character and its amazing that Hugh Jackman, who has been playing this character for nearly 25 years now, is still killing it.
That spoiler comment is actually what I thought it was going to be as they were building up to it.

Reactions: Spawn

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I can envision Deadpool in the MCU. He could still be wisecracking but without 4th wall breaks. I can live without the 4th wall breaks even if I know it is part of his schtick.
Yeah basically how he was written for the recent run of Uncanny Avengers which was a hybrid with some X-Men (Rogue, Kwannon/Psylocke not Betsy/Psylocke/Captain Britain, Monet) and Avengers. Him and Captain America have kind of a bromance and Rogue played the serious "Wade, aye got no time for your jokes" role.

Fun look at all the Wolverine variants and cameos.

I think the UXM #251 where the Reavers crucified him and Age of Apocalypse Weapon X with one missing hand were my favs.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was a fun movie, light on substance. Sometimes that's what we as the audience needs. This is the entertainment business and not every movie needs to hit on current events and heal the world.

The big cameo moment was probably the best part of it.

It has some replay value and I'd see it again.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
'
And it continues to roll on.

"Entering the weekend at about $925 million in global receipts, Deadpool and Wolverine should sit at about $1.03 billion after its third weekend, enough to put it in shooting distance of Joker’s 2019 $1.078 billion cume, which it will inevitably pass in the coming days. I’ll have more about that this weekend too, so be sure to check back for that story."

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7