Movies: Deadpool & Wolverine

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Haven't seen the movie yet, but if it really is a bloody, gory, dark comedy masterpiece so to speak... I hope this pushes Marvel to finally just be done with all of the PG13 stuff they had been doing and lean fully into the fact that a huge portion of those core MCU fans are indeed adults now.

I imagine Multiverse of Madness for example, could have been so much better if they just let it be an R rated horror movie instead of going that direction but stopping short leaning fully into it for thr sake of the rating.

Hopefully, we start to see more of the movies that push the limits again.
I saw the Movie. It was in line with the same tone as the prior 2 DP movies. Personally, not finding the over use of swear words appealing. Violence level, yeah, there is blood. And sexually implied jokes. Again, that's all part of the DP tone.

I'd say what works for DP won't work for every other Marvel character, just like for DC, Batman is a dark tone and setting, whereas Superman/Flash/WW are not.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I saw the Movie. It was in line with the same tone as the prior 2 DP movies. Personally, not finding the over use of swear words appealing. Violence level, yeah, there is blood. And sexually implied jokes. Again, that's all part of the DP tone.

I'd say what works for DP won't work for every other Marvel character, just like for DC, Batman is a dark tone and setting, whereas Superman/Flash/WW are not.

It doesn't have to be the same though, they can just push the boundaries of those other movies in the direction they're already heading.

Like I had said with Multiverse of Madness, they could have gone full horror movie. Ditto the upcoming Blade movie if it ever releases.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Movie wasn't actually that bad. One of the best I've seen that is up there with GOTG 3 and Endgame / Infinity War. But of course people are going to
bitch about the multiverse loopholes which the movie repeatedly poked fun at and mocked by breaking the 4th wall

At the end of the day this was an exceptional way to usher in the new properties that Disney acquired from FOX. Throw in the fitting Green Day tribute at the end credits and this is a movie well worth seeing.

10/10.

Few questions I had.

1. How did Wolverine grow his claws so big if they were originally very short and DP mocked him for it.

2. So wait...the whole multiverse thing is confusing as f***. They did do a solid job of tying it in but are we meant to believe multiverse Blade, Electra, Gambit and Logan Mutant Girl were all plucked from individual dimensions and taken to the void as punishment of some sort. I know Gambit says he believes he was born there but the others appeared to have previous lives. So why were they taken there. And will they return? The problem with the multiverse is that they cast great actors but they only do it for one movie. For instance in MoM they had Patrick Stewart and Jim from the Office but they appeared to be one-time cameos that won't play a part in future movies. It would be nice to have someone be introduced to the MCU and actually stay in the universe for some time. The good news is that Wolverine and Logan Mutant Girl from Logan appear to be set to live in DP's universe but what about Blade and Electra? And lol at Blade saying there could only be one. What about that mashama ali guy. Will he be Blade in the MCU?

I think the future Blade project was deemed dead, hence why Deadpool stared at the camera after Snipes said that.

They really simplified the ending and just went with an unexplained everything worked out thing. It basically was like TVA-magic and they made it work without explanation. Given we are used to complex multiverse logic, it was a bit odd. But I think it’s just a means of isolating Deadpool and company in their own little universe and not add them to the complexity of the multiverse, until maybe Secret Wars or something.

Also kind of disappointed we didn’t get any teasers for the future in any post credits. But the Fox sendoff was ironically hilarious.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Haven't seen the movie yet, but if it really is a bloody, gory, dark comedy masterpiece so to speak... I hope this pushes Marvel to finally just be done with all of the PG13 stuff they had been doing and lean fully into the fact that a huge portion of those core MCU fans are indeed adults now.

I imagine Multiverse of Madness for example, could have been so much better if they just let it be an R rated horror movie instead of going that direction but stopping short leaning fully into it for thr sake of the rating.

Hopefully, we start to see more of the movies that push the limits again.
Disney seems to have an issue with realizing who their core audience is. They did the same thing with that new Mighty Ducks series.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
I am big X-men comic fan and MCU fan. Deadpool humor is not my cup of tea but I really enjoyed everything else. Hugh Jackman is a really great actor and also a great Wolverine.

Would have preferred to have Wolverine enter the MCU in a less juvenile movie but oh well.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Now that I've had some time to think about it (and thanks to Screencrush):

A combination of their regeneration abilities and Logan being an anchor being helped keep them alive and rewrite the fabric of that timeline. My guess is that Deadpool bringing him back to that timeline caused a new branch, but when they destroyed the time ripper that action rewrote the fabric of that universe so Deadpool is now the anchor being. Would be a suitable character arc .. also would actually make him Marvel Jesus in a sense because he would be resurrected as an anchoring being for the MCU :laugh:

This movie also seems to confirm that the universe Deadpool and Logan now reside is the main X-men universe .. My guess is that this is the same universe where Monica Rombeau ended up in at the end of the Marvels. Those two universes evidently appear in close collision. The set Secret Wars between X-men of that universe and the sacred timeline seems a bit more clear.

At the same time the ended it so that Wolverine and Deadpool are not the main pieces of this storyline, rather they isolate this movie in way that acknowledges they are there but not the main characters. Also including Gambit, X-23, Blade, and Elektra builds the supporting cast of X-men for a Secret Wars movie a little more robustly.

Other thoughts:

- I wished they would have shown some flashbacks of Wolverine's trauma to help us really understand the shit he did .. would have had a better impact.

- They teased the "higher ups" have noted a greater purpose for Deadpool ... and then tease that Thor-Deadpool scene .. that has to be some foreshadowing in the future for Secret Wars.

- I wonder at the end of Secret Wars if we will see Loki emerge and reveal he's been at the end of time holding the fabric together and "telling" these stories .. only to say that this brutal Secret War was the only way for these vital timelines to co-exist.. which leads to the MCU reboot of X-men and the Avengers.. with Thor saying "you really are the worst brother". It would be a great send off for those two characters.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Had a lot of fun watching this one. Doesnt really have the big MCU stakes I was maybe expecting and isnt the most cohernt film...but still really enjoyed it.

Im terms of the MCU...i feel like the logic saving grace is right in front of them...

Avengers 5 - Avengers vs Xmen. With the threat of a incursion, the MCU heros must fight the Fox heros as each are trying to preserve their universe. Perhaps Doom is manipulating both sides to fight and it leads into secret wars.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Great time at the movies. I wasn't sure how I'd like it after seeing a couple trailers. Most of the movie came together really well and the duo of Wolverine and Deadpool worked as well as they hoped. For a superhero movie I'd say that was a solid 8/10.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
One thing I didn't understand ... in the interview scene, Deadpool is in 616, but after that he's on a different timeline (I forget the number). When did that switch happen? If his stories have been its own world then why and how was he on/in 616 for at least a scene?

Not important (I don't think?) and not a criticism from me, but I feel like I missed something.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
One thing I didn't understand ... in the interview scene, Deadpool is in 616, but after that he's on a different timeline (I forget the number). When did that switch happen? If his stories have been its own world then why and how was he on/in 616 for at least a scene?

Not important (I don't think?) and not a criticism from me, but I feel like I missed something.
Maybe the same event happened in both timelines and they're saving Deadpool in 616 for some joke when this Deadpool gets involved in future MCU adventures.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Well the end of Deadpool 2 he was not only time travelling but also using Cable’s device to travel the multiverse … in that scene he was wearing it.

My assumption is that he travelled there because he wanted to be an Avenger. In his timeline there are no Avengers, just X-Men (who previously wouldn’t accept him). After that meeting he went back to the timeline he built for himself where Vanessa is alive.

I think they are trying to show how close those two universes - the main MCU one with the Avengers and now this other with the X-men.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Had a lot of fun watching this one. Doesnt really have the big MCU stakes I was maybe expecting and isnt the most cohernt film...but still really enjoyed it.

Im terms of the MCU...i feel like the logic saving grace is right in front of them...

Avengers 5 - Avengers vs Xmen. With the threat of a incursion, the MCU heros must fight the Fox heros as each are trying to preserve their universe. Perhaps Doom is manipulating both sides to fight and it leads into secret wars.
Go crazy with the Phoenix 5, I want mutant Hitler Cyclops damn it!

Reactions: Adam Warlock

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Movie wasn't actually that bad. One of the best I've seen that is up there with GOTG 3 and Endgame / Infinity War. But of course people are going to
bitch about the multiverse loopholes which the movie repeatedly poked fun at and mocked by breaking the 4th wall

At the end of the day this was an exceptional way to usher in the new properties that Disney acquired from FOX. Throw in the fitting Green Day tribute at the end credits and this is a movie well worth seeing.

10/10.

Few questions I had.

1. How did Wolverine grow his claws so big if they were originally very short and DP mocked him for it.
Not short, just couldn't get them out... that's why DP made the joke about whiskey dick of the claws

I think that part was even in the original trailer for the film...

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
LOL the shills are still defending The Marvels even when its run just got the wedgie of all wedgies.

Last edited:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
But it's not a massive pile of shit though. It's arguably the best of the DP movies.

I will agree DP2 was mediocre.

But DP1 and DP3 are up there are some of the best. It didn't even feel like a parody at all when everything was genuine. Yes, DP always acts like that, breaking the 4th wall, wisecracking, et cetera

Listen if there was anything to criticize about the movie I would have criticized it. I am hardly a homer and that movie was the best movie I had seen in years. I was watching throughout saying "This is a damn good movie this is up there with Infinity War and Endgame" :laugh:

Last note on this is that I thought the whole time travel and multiverse shit was stupid, especially in Loki, and I didn't even like Loki, I thought the TVA was dumb, but this movie actually made me appreciate them and I hated their guts in Loki so much I didn't even watch Season 2. Man that series sucked.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad