Value of: Dead cap in terms of picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Im curious if there is a consensus of the cost based on past transactions. From what I can gather, it seems like every 3M in dead cap per year, costs about a mid 2nd round pick to dump. Here are some examples:

Mrazek:
Overpaid by about 1.5Mx2 years, 3M in total dead cap, cost was moving down #25 to #38, roughly the value of a mid 2nd round pick

Kassian:
Overpaid by about 2Mx2 years, 4M in total dead cap, cost was a 2nd and a 3rd

Peterson:
Overpaid by about 4Mx2years, 8M in total dead cap, less LAK effectively retaining 4M via Ivan, leaving 4M in total cap moved out, cost was a 2nd and a recent 2nd round pick.

What do you think? Is this a good rough assessment or not?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Im curious if there is a consensus of the cost based on past transactions. From what I can gather, it seems like every 3M in dead cap per year, costs about a mid 2nd round pick to dump. Here are some examples:

Mrazek:
Overpaid by about 1.5Mx2 years, 3M in total dead cap, cost was moving down #25 to #38, roughly the value of a mid 2nd round pick

Kassian:

Peterson:
Overpaid by about 4Mx2years, 8M in total dead cap, less LAK effectively retaining 4M via Ivan, leaving 4M in total cap moved out, cost was a 2nd and a recent 2nd round pick.

for deadline trades there is a rough estimate of deadline space for pass through. Real dollars is closer comparison to compensation.

a team retaining on someone they are trading with retention doesn’t really equate well.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Ya, the price seems to be set. 3 million ish for about a 2nd rounder.

It's a steep price, in my opinion. A rebuilding team is smart to snag good picks like this, especially if it's for players that can kind of still play. Gostisbehere, for example. Paid to bring him in and then paid to sell him later. Win-win.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
for Petersen, Philly not doing deal if 1st and 2nd from Clb not included. LA would not have been able to move 4 mil cap otherwise for that return.

different in 3-team deals imo

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Jason Dickinson too, cost a 2nd to shed his 2*2.65m deal. But Vancouver had to suffer life with Riley Stillman too, so whatever...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Mrazek:

Kassian:

Peterson:

It isn't so much about cap but the real dollars the owner has to spend for a player who may never play for you. I think they mentioned this when Yzerman acquired Staal and the real money Detroit would be paying to take him on as opposed to cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad