Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I mean, try to apply your reasoning to actual real-life scenarios. You suggest for playoff success a minute-eating dman is preferable to an offensive superstar (your word was superstar). It's not a strawman to utilize your arguments to show their faultlines, is it?
Why using words that comes from social medias users and base an opinion like if that was some sort of scientific truth? A dude on internet call that player an offensive superstar and here we go. Hey, wo, wait a minute buddy! And the other player is just an eating minute D man. Only that? Really ? Are you doing that demagogic game all the time, plz go back to the ground and bring more solid arguments, arguments that looks more like scientific facts. Try to figure out the whole picture, 360 degree.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah it's a concern that he can't make the SKA team, but honestly KHL teams are kind of known for making those types of weird decisions and not actually icing the best team they can. So I'm not sure we can give too much credence to it because it wouldn't surprise me if the reason was something extremely petty and dumb on SKA's part.
SKA head coach isn’t a real hockey guy, he’s a political appointee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You go ahead and argue with yourself and your strawmen.

Of course I'm using hypotheticals? I'm trying to hypothetically explain why the Habs took Reinbacher over Michkov!

You realize I don't actually know why they chose Reinbacher over Mich, right? I'm just guessing :laugh:
Habs reasoning seems pretty straightforward - per Arpon Basu:

The Canadiens view Demidov as a far more complete player. In fact, a team source said, the Canadiens were able to get some live viewings of Demidov in Russia this season, which they were not able to do with Michkov.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Why using words that comes from social medias users and base an opinion like if that was some sort of scientific truth? A dude on internet call that player an offensive superstar and here we go. Hey, wo, wait a minute buddy! And the other player is just an eating minute D man. Only that? Really ? Are you doing that demagogic game all the time, plz go back to the ground and bring more solid arguments, arguments that looks more like scientific facts. Try to figure out the whole picture, 360 degree.
What? I'm trying to understand the person's argument because on the surface it's exactly what you're complaining about: it is a clearly subjective and slanted, not-scientific bit of demagoguery. Aaaaand it's completely unnecessary!

Don't you see what's happened?

Reinbacher is our man... nothing has changed, neither has played a game in the NHL. There is absolutely zero need to fight so hard to defend the pick.

Michkov is coming over earlier than thought -- so what? Some fans are upset that one argument against Michkov fell apart (but we all should've known he wouldn't stay in Russia the full 3 years after the draft)... but in response to this minor grumbling other fans are doubling down on the other arguments against Michkov... but It's completely unnecessary, there is no debate to be had!

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
It's not unheard-of that a GM or coach simply doesn't like how a player interprets his role. We saw how Bergevin and Therrien both did not like how Subban played. Rotenberg doesn't like frail wingers who cheat on offense. Simple as.

There's no point over-speculating on it now, Michkov will be a rookie in the NHL soon enough and the former foreign policy experts (current psychologists) will find other criticisms to lay at Michkov's feet. The story isn't over, Montreal fans will produce a lot more smearing for years to come. The audacity of Michkov to have a father who died and be loaned to another team.
:laugh: Never stop being so condescending and smug bud.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Replace Reinbacher with Slafkovsky and Michkov with Cooley and this thread is an exact copy of the Slaf thread last summer.

It f***ing sucks.
No.

Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi thread were awesome if i remember correctly.

We are always collectively wrong as a fanbase.

Take it as a hint that we are probably again in the wrong and our teams probably has made the correct call again.

It don't f***ing sucks, its actually very reassuring. But yeah, it do sucks that we will have to wait a bit before rallying and cheering for our top prospects.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The Canadiens view Demidov as a far more complete player. In fact, a team source said, the Canadiens were able to get some live viewings of Demidov in Russia this season, which they were not able to do with Michkov.

Honestly, I think this is the crux of it. No live viewings, not really able to speak with him. All you can really do is go off of highlights and hearsay, and no scout is going to pump a prospect they haven't watched. How would that make them better than us commoners?

IMO, Reinbacher was the "safe" choice and they took it. Safe as in they saw him, they knew what they were getting, and they see less "boom or bust" in his game. I hated the pick then and still do, but it happened and we have to see. Neither has played an NHL game so you can't say anything about it right now.

Reinbacher showed some tools I didn't think he had in his limited AHL stint. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Reactions: cphabs

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Honestly, I think this is the crux of it. No live viewings, not really able to speak with him. All you can really do is go off of highlights and hearsay, and no scout is going to pump a prospect they haven't watched. How would that make them better than us commoners?

IMO, Reinbacher was the "safe" choice and they took it. Safe as in they saw him, they knew what they were getting, and they see less "boom or bust" in his game. I hated the pick then and still do, but it happened and we have to see. Neither has played an NHL game so you can't say anything about it right now.

Reinbacher showed some tools I didn't think he had in his limited AHL stint. Hopefully he keeps it going.
Bobrov's father had plenty of inside knowledge. Don't ever believe that this Habs squad didn't do their due diligence. This group works around the clock and turns over every rock.

HuGo and Habs hockey ops must have been super high on Reinbacher to have taken him over Ryan Leonard. Other NHL teams were also interested in trading up for that #5 pick to take Reinbacher.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Bobrov's father had plenty of inside knowledge. Don't ever believe that this Habs squad didn't do their due diligence. This group works around the clock and turns over every rock.

HuGo and Habs hockey ops must have been super high on Reinbacher to have taken him over Ryan Leonard. Other NHL teams were also interested in trading up for that #5 pick to take Reinbacher.
In the top 10, 8 forwards were picked and 2 were D. Simashev for ARI was considered a reach, not near the top 10 in most lists. So really it was Reinbacher or a reach in the top 10 if you needed D.

So as for your point about other teams, was it more for Reinbacher, the player, or was it more for positional need? I'm inclined to say the latter.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's true, regardless of who the Habs pick, we're likely to see a lot of posts from the usual suspects whining endlessly. That's the most predictable thing about the Habs' draft.
I wonder if the long list of candidates will make it better or worse. On the one hand there isn’t a consensus that a Zadina equivalent should absolutely go at the habs pick, on the other the number of people who want the player picked is likely to be low because of the multitude of options.

I get upset when I don’t like the thought process, like taking a guy who was talked up on TSN but who clearly isn’t very good, but I don’t know enough to complain if they think one guy is better than another.

Reactions: DAChampion

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

The org didn’t need live viewings…. the father of one of their heads of Amateur scouting I’m certain had many “live viewings” as SKA advisor and knew the in’s & out’s about Michkov

In the top 10, 8 forwards were picked and 2 were D. Simashev for ARI was considered a reach, not near the top 10 in most lists. So really it was Reinbacher or a reach in the top 10 if you needed D.

So as for your point about other teams, was it more for Reinbacher, the player, or was it more for positional need? I'm inclined to say the latter.
Combination of both - top paring RDman being a position of need and being presented the opportunity to draft a very mobile & agile prospect who could fill that role with an enormous wingspan to add. Other than Silayev none of the top rated D this draft come close to that wingspan.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I mean, try to apply your reasoning to actual real-life scenarios. You suggest for playoff success a minute-eating dman is preferable to an offensive superstar (your word was superstar). It's not a strawman to utilize your arguments to show their faultlines, is it?
A 25+ minute eating defenseman with size, skating and IQ, yes. Have a look at this list of 25+ Minute dmen in the playoffs and tell me they don't compare favorably to small, "offensive superstar" wingers?

1716557872426.png

Isn't that reasoning as to why they prefer Demidov to Mich, or am I missing something?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A 25+ minute eating defenseman with size, skating and IQ, yes. Have a look at this list of 25+ Minute dmen in the playoffs and tell me they don't compare favorably to small, "offensive superstar" wingers?

View attachment 875187

Isn't that reasoning as to why they prefer Demidov to Mich, or am I missing something?
Reinbacher is another Matvichuk caliber. Doesn't have the hands like ones you mentioned above. Not top pairing. On cup team that is. An average team he probably top pairing. Reminds me of Pesce type.

Reactions: mdk

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

View attachment 875187
Depends how you define superstar. Patrick Kane is a superstar, I'd take him over any of the names above including Makar. Johnny Gaudreau is not a superstar. So you tell me -- I'm trying to understand your reasoning for the terms you used. Maybe we have a problem of definitions.

I'm not convinced anybody thinks Reinbacher is comparable some of those names you listed either. Seems a bit of a stretch, and not really fair to Reinbacher.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Reinbacher is another Matvichuk caliber. Doesn't have the hands like ones you mentioned above. Not top pairing. On cup team that is. An average team he probably top pairing. Reminds me of Pesce type.
That's not what he has shown in the AHL. His hands seemed fine. He's clearly not Makar but Matvichuk is a gross undervaluation. After what Rainbacher has shown in the AHL last year even if the sample size was small it makes the overly negative predictions look like people trying to be negative just for the sake of it. Svoboda would probably be a better comparable.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
That's not what he has shown in the AHL. His hands seemed fine. He's clearly not Makar but Matvichuk is a gross undervaluation. After what Rainbacher has shown in the AHL last year even if the sample size was small it makes the overly negative predictions look like people trying to be negative just for the sake of it. Svoboda would probably be a better comparable.
He did show his offensive flair a bit more, which I liked to see. Maybe in Kloten they were so dog**** this year that he felt he had to be on defense all the time and not really take any risks.

My issue with taking him in the first place is, when you think of "best D in the draft" or picking a D at 5, you look at what you're getting and what you expect from a player like that. Me? I expect dynamic or dominant, something about their game that I just marvel at. With Reinbacher, you don't really get that.

Is he a Makar-level skater with dynamic edges? No
Is his IQ insanely off the charts like a Hutson? Not really.
Okay but he huge, a beast defensively like a Hedman, intimidating like a Weber? Also not really.
Is he super offensively gifted like a Heiskanen or a Hughes? Also not really.

He has some level of this in him. He can be offensive. He can be good defensively. But to me he looks like an above average, jack of all trades master of none type of D. I could be way off base, which I've been before, but the pick seems so vanilla to me, especially at 5 and especially for a D that is supposed to be the best of his draft class.

Reactions: mdk

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He did show his offensive flair a bit more, which I liked to see. Maybe in Kloten they were so dog**** this year that he felt he had to be on defense all the time and not really take any risks.

My issue with taking him in the first place is, when you think of "best D in the draft" or picking a D at 5, you look at what you're getting and what you expect from a player like that. Me? I expect dynamic or dominant, something about their game that I just marvel at. With Reinbacher, you don't really get that.

Okay but he huge, a beast defensively like a Hedman, intimidating like a Weber? Also not really.

He has some level of this in him. He can be offensive. He can be good defensively. But to me he looks like an above average, jack of all trades master of none type of D. I could be way off base, which I've been before, but the pick seems so vanilla to me, especially at 5 and especially for a D that is supposed to be the best of his draft class.
I don't think you're wrong outside maybe IQ. His IQ is not off the chart but from the small sample size i've seen in the AHL it looked like clearly above average. He was kind of impressive for a 19 years old dman and already much better than Barron. His shot did not impress me. His skating did not impress me, But it always looked like he was at the right place and at the right time to make a play.

I'm still not sold on the pick. I like this pick better than i liked the JK one that's for sure. But i just don't see the remaining forwards as big as some other guys. Leonard doesn't strike me as elite in any way. There's so many red flags on Michkov that it would have been a very risky pick. I don't know i just don't see anything very exciting drafted behind him maybe i'm missing something. I think the forward we wil draft this year wil be a better prospect than anyone we would have taken last year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Who the f*** is Matvichuk
A purely defensive dmen who played for Dallas back in the 90ies. His best quality was to be consistent. Think Rob Scuderi with a little bit more skills. I mean if Rainbacher becomes a Matvichuk he would not be a bust but he would not be a homerun either. I think Rainbacher has a little bit more offensive upside than Matvichuk had.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think if Reinbacher become Seider or Heiskanen type of D (I think he have the talent, potential, two-way game to become that type of D), everyone will forget about Michkov.

I'd rather have a steady two-way #1 D like Heiskanen and Seider than a forward like Michkov.

When I watched Reinbacher in AHL, he gives me Heiskanen vibes.

Reactions: HankyZetts

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Ok so do the exercise with the defenseman who are projected to go in the 2-4 range of this draft.

Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson.

Are they Makar-level skater? No.
IQ insanely off the charts? No.
Huge and a beast defensively? Silayev is huge, I guess but he's not intimidating.
Super offensively gifted? No.

You're asking for the Habs to pick someone at 5 who would basically go at 2 behind Bedard last year.

Picking at 5 does not guarantee a superstar player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad