Player Discussion David Pastrnak

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sometimes great players get shutdown.

Kucherov has 1G in last 11 PO Games in 2 PO seasons. He has Braden Point not
Morgan Geekie as his C.

In 2013 Rask made Crosby and Malkin irrelevant.

True.

But Crosby, Kucherov and Malkin all have multiple Cups as well as 2 Conn Smythe trophies for Crosby and one for Malkin. Kucherov led the playoffs in scoring 3 straight years.

In 8 seasons, Pasta has led the Bruins in scoring twice.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Pasta said that he got injured near the end of the regular season and that the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season and playoffs wasn't good from his side.

He also said he takes a lot of responsibility for the early playoff exit.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
David Krecji's ridiculously good playmaking skills will be very hard to replace (as we have just seen).
Krecji has not played in two of the last three years , get over him. Pasta is the only pure goal scorer on the team so much easier to shut down when there is no other threat, Tarasenko, and Tofoli types are available Sweeney is just not capable of landing them, and I am only using them as a example.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It's not just about a centre who can feed the puck to Pasta. That becomes predictable and easy to anticipate. A top-notch centre is also a scoring threat themselves. That's why the Perfection Line was so good: any of them could score, so you couldn't just defend by keying on one guy.
No they keyed on the entire line because they did not have much on the other lines,

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Pasta said that he got injured near the end of the regular season and that the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season and playoffs wasn't good from his side.

He also said he takes a lot of responsibility for the early playoff exit.
Pasta was making every effort to lead this team, he was trying to be physical, and push as much as he can. Pasta is a good hockey player that in my opinion has at least tried to improve his game, but the problem with not all but some fans just like to think they are smarter than most without even watching the game, they spend more time watching or listening to the media or clowns loke Felger. Yes, there are times Pasta frustrates you with his turnovers but that is because he handles the puck so often, I also think that especially on the power play that they need to get away from him a little just to give the defenders something else to deal with, you get someone like McAvoy up top and refuses to shoot, and just move the puck around that is not keeping the defenders honest and not giving them another look that they need to worry about, and I am not trying shit on Mac Avoy it is a team problem.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pasta is immensely talented, but I do believe he is served better to have an equal or a better all around player, as his line mate. He's better served being the 2nd best player on a team. At this stage, I do not believe he handles carrying a team, very well. It effects his overall game, as he tries too hard to force things, just to make something happen.(his blind back passes that turn into scoring chances for the other team....OMG=infuriating)

Sure but how many people on the planet are equal or better than him? 8? 12?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Boston fans going after David Pastrnak and Jayson Tatum so this fanbase

Celtics fans actually calling wanting Celtics to let Tatum walk …..most callers start with ‘hear me out ….’

Unbelievable but not surprising
Whenever you post about the comments on Boston radio all I can think is thankfully I don't have to listen to it up in Canada

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Whenever you post about the comments on Boston radio all I can think is thankfully I don't have to listen to it up in Canada
Other than the Sat morning hockey show it sucks. (98.5 sports radio). All they want to talk about is football.

Guys who don't know hockey and hate it as a sport are the ones who run most of the hockey talk.. I don't at all blame Cam for ditching them years ago.

It is too bad Boston (who has many great hockey fans) and the Bruins don't have better.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Sure but how many people on the planet are equal or better than him? 8? 12?
He's a great shooter, very good stickhandler and skater, very good passer w/ questionable judgement, leadership TBD. There are more players than that, that are great in different ways than him. His shooting is the only skill I would consider All-World.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He's a great shooter, very good stickhandler and skater, very good passer w/ questionable judgement, leadership TBD. There are more players than that, that are great in different ways than him. His shooting is the only skill I would consider All-World.
Questionable leadership? Nope you are wrong.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But this assumes every player has equal responsibility in the lineup.

I'd have to double check, but Pasta must make within 2M of all the other wingers on the team COMBINED. Ponder that. So we're going to expect him to lead from the front in big moments. That's all.

That probably speaks to the Bruins being overallocated at defense and goaltending more than anything else. Something they seem to have a path to sorting this offseason. Capfriendly doesn’t have 23-24 up anymore, but IIRC, Bruins were top 5 in spending on D and G last season. Which means pretty low on the forward group.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Questionable leadership? Nope you are wrong.
I'm not blinded by liking him immensely as a personality, and I do. But he has a long way to go.
Plus, it's called opinion, and my opinion counts as much as anybody else's that has been a die hard fan for over 57 years.
I suspect he will get better at it considering how much leadership the team lost this year. It's not a natural skill for most people, including people that think they're leaders. Being extremely likeable is not necessarily a trait of leadership.
We'll find out more about the leadership of Pasta and MacAvoy when Marchand retires.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm not blinded by liking him immensely as a personality, and I do. But he has a long way to go.
Plus, it's called opinion, and my opinion counts as much as anybody else's that has been a die hard fan for over 57 years.
I suspect he will get better at it considering how much leadership the team lost this year. It's not a natural skill for most people, including people that think they're leaders. Being extremely likeable is not necessarily a trait of leadership.
We'll find out more about the leadership of Pasta and MacAvoy when Marchand retires.
From where I sit his leadership is clear. He speaks to the players, coaches and stripes, sets up plays and appears to be a main voice for the team.

I am not blinded by liking him and that is a stupid remark. I sit right next to the team and it is clear.

I like many players but leadership isn't always from your favorite player or even the best player.

To me he is more of a leader then Mac (and I like him too).

I am 71 and it matters not how old you are.

peace

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
From where I sit his leadership is clear. He speaks to the players, coaches and stripes, sets up plays and appears to be a main voice for the team.

I am not blinded by liking him and that is a stupid remark. I sit right next to the team and it is clear.

I like many players but leadership isn't always from your favorite player or even the best player.

To me he is more of a leader then Mac (and I like him too).

I am 71 and it matters not how old you are.

peace
chara/bergeron/ and a bunch of other bruins leaders have talked about leading by committee so even if you dont see pasta as THE leader or THE captain, he's part of the next core of veteran leadership (and good at hockey) - it'd be stupid to deal a guy like that unless you are getting the world in return.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I'm sorry i don't completely agree with you.
I love Pasta, i just don't think he's there yet. Actions speak louder than words and i don't mean a stupid staged fight with Tkachuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
All your people with torches and pitchforks are missing the point, Pasta is a leader, I just don't believe he is in the same league as a Chara or Bergeron, or Crosby, or Messier...............................
YET.

Ladyfan I respect your take even when I don't agree with you, just like everyone else on this board.
That's the point of a community. We don't all have to agree, just because we all love the B's.

You seem really offended and taking it personal. I guarantee Pasta looks at himself in the mirror every year and thinks he could be better. That's why I have hope for him and MacAvoy. They really care. But they are learning on the job, just as Marchand did. Hell, he had more time with Bergy and was honest about how much being a good leader needed him to change how he thought about things.
It was year 1 of new on ice leadership, I expect it to get better, just because of the culture surrounding the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I cannot think of a single negative about Pastrnak considering the island he is on with this roster.

Hit and hard.
Forechecked (one of the few)
Dropped the gloves against a far larger spot picking Tkachuk
Won Game 7 against Toronto
Carried the puck, attempted to make plays

The Bruins simply did not have the talent even on a PP to force the over-forced one timer in the playoffs. Which would have been improvement over the disastrous PPs we did watch. Egregious PP coaching and personnel limitations. Geekie on a PP?

Land a true offensive top line center and watch Pastrnak dominate goalscoring again.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Him as a player and as a leader are 2 different things. I agree with everything you just said PBF!
He needs a player, fairly comparable to his own level. Otherwise teams just shut him down.
It's like the one timer on the powerplay, every team is defending that and it no longer available.
I'd love for them to try Pasta in the bumper, it should open up the half walls, in theory, if they over compensate for Pasta.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I cannot think of a single negative about Pastrnak considering the island he is on with this roster.

Hit and hard.
Forechecked (one of the few)
Dropped the gloves against a far larger spot picking Tkachuk
Won Game 7 against Toronto
Carried the puck, attempted to make plays

The Bruins simply did not have the talent even on a PP to force the over-forced one timer in the playoffs. Which would have been improvement over the disastrous PPs we did watch. Egregious PP coaching and personnel limitations. Geekie on a PP?

Land a true offensive top line center and watch Pastrnak dominate goalscoring again.
Top line centers are generally home grown. Will an overpriced Lindholm do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad