Proposal: David Pastrnak for Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Leafs do trade Marner (highly unlikely) would it not be for a top four, U-25, RHD?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Both high end talents, no idea why the Leafs do this for the simple fact that not only is Marner a local kid but is cheaper and will not command a big contract like Pasta will for another 2 years. Boston fans no doubt will want to keep Pasta as he is more proven at this point.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Marner has more points as a rookie than Pasternak had in his rookie and sophomore season combined.

Pasternak did only play half a too season though.

Either way this is easily Marner, and I love pasta.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Marner has more points as a rookie than Pasternak had in his rookie and sophomore season combined.

Pastrnak also made the NHL at 18 when Marner couldn't, which should show you development isn't linear.

When a player is only 1 year older and definitely currently the better player, this isn't "easily" anyone. :shakehead

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don't see the motivation by the Leafs to shake things up like this.

You also don't trade a talent like Marner until you have a better idea of where he'll top out as.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I'd pick Pastrnak easily. And I think Marner is a pretty good player. Cherry picking stats doesn't mean very much. Pastrnak is better right now.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Pasta better now. Marner cheaper and could be better later or at worse a wash. Marner for this Leafs fan.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
As a fan of neither team I rather take my chances with Marner

How does this make any sense? What chances are there with Pasta? He had 70 points this season. There is no doubt about his skill set at this point and should only improve.

Marner had a strong rookie year. But its still too early to say how high his potential is. Lets see him produce again this year. If he can do it again and make improvements it makes this debate closer. As of now its not close who the better player is. HF just loves potential like their simming a madden franchise.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
How does this make any sense? What chances are there with Pasta? He had 70 points this season. There is no doubt about his skill set at this point and should only improve.

Marner had a strong rookie year. But its still too early to say how high his potential is. Lets see him produce again this year. If he can do it again and make improvements it makes this debate closer. As of now its not close who the better player is. HF just loves potential like their simming a madden franchise.

Nah, I think that's legitimate. Marner has the greater potential on the defensive side of the game that he may or may not live up to and if you allow Marner a handicap for being a rookie it's a wash. I see that as the only thing really separating the two at this time. Potential is tenuous though. Pastrnak is a great player.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Marner and Pastranak are different players but in my opinion are equally talented at this point. No real reason to do this.

Although Nylander and Pasta have good chemistry and it would be awesome to see them as linemates..Leafs need the home grown kid and that is Marner.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if it aint broke dont fix it... if the day ever came boston was forced to deal pastrnak then marner would obviously be a good return but that day isnt today

and i see even less reason for toronto wanting this...

fair value but bad proposal

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'd take Marner over Pastrnak, but that's just me. The value is probably there, but unless Pastrnak is having a hard time ironing out a salary with Boston because he doesn't like it there...best to for each team to just keep the player they've spent time and money developing.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Similar calibre players, but when you consider Marner will be 80+ % cheaper the next two years it's not even close.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
There's this thing called the Salary Cap the nhl has....so Toronto declines

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Both of these guys are elite young players but I feel that Marner probably has a bit more upside and seems more dedicated to playing both sides of the ice (though neither can be considered good defensively yet).

Can't go wrong with either though. Out of all the current Bruins players, this guy scares me the most.

ssheeran10

Sep 21, 2009
Amherst New York
Would rather keep the hometown guy.

As Don Cherry would say: "Good Canadian boy works hard out there honest effort duno aboot the visor eh, but gimme a good Canadian kid over some commie any day of the week, THUMBZ UP LETS GO!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad