Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’m confused. Jiricek is the one who has no patience and is seemingly trying to pressure his way onto the NHL team. And I’m pretty sure there weren’t any calls to look to move him until he (or his agent) made the NHL/AHL thing public.

It’s not about anybody feeling bad and nobody is attacking Jiricek as a human being.

But, as a top 10 pick, maybe he should be a bit better at some things and better than an undrafted player.

The POINT is he is nowhere good enough at this point to be “demanding” NHL icetime.
You make it sound like he "demanded" NHL icetime. Basically this shit is why NHLers dont have personalities. People claim they want to see it in the NHL but if someone expresses it you get this nonsense. Nemec to start the year was disappointed and upset that he didnt make the big team, where is the fake outrage there? Also Jiricek vocally expressed what I guarentee many players feel/felt, if you dont think confidence bleeding over into ego is not a major trait in athletes you are sorely mistaken.

Your 2nd point has nothing to do with anything. I used an undersized undrafted defenseman playing in a tougher era that was better than most defenders at the time and you are acting like it never happens. You are also comparing a 25 year old and a 20 year old, none of us even knew who Blankenburg was 5 years ago almost like some development happened in that time.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I haven't been impressed with Jiricek. I never really loved the pick but it was the consensus BPA so I was fine with it. So many posters were claiming he's legit so I kinda of just believed it. This year wasn't great for him. Really just too slow footspeed wise and hasn't impressed offensively either.

Obviously it's still early but the entitlement/attitude issues are another concern. I'm sure there's blame to go around with that so I won't harp on it too much but damn you would think he'd be a whole lot better if he's that confident he deserves a spot.

If sub 6 foot Nick Blankenburg plays better defense than you, you might need to look at yourself.
I agree that I don't think he had a very good year. Sophmore slump is my hope and that he goes into the off season recognizing he has work to do and a plan for the CBJ organization on what is needed in the off season. The only thing I will point out is that Blankenburg plays a very different game and is 5 years older with a lot more experience. I don't think his size matters but his fight in his dog is strong.

By all accounts (could just be CBJ fluff) he was very coachable in the AHL and did not, apparently, have an attitude issue at all.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

I think he is ready, if he is not on PP unit on big team upcoming season something stinks in Columbus. He is already dominating at AHL level, another year there would hurt him. Some people saying that Mateychuk is better are delusional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

I think he is ready, if he is not on PP unit on big team upcoming season something stinks in Columbus. He is already dominating at AHL level, another year there would hurt him. Some people saying that Mateychuk is better are delusional.

I get your take that Jiricek is the better prospect than Mateychuk. For me it's comparing two very good players that have different elite skills sets.

Jiricek - elite shot, high end hockey sense, compete and skill. Also big and physical
Mateychuk - elite skating, high end hockey sense, compete and skill. Smaller and a puck mover

Both are needed but I tend to agree that Jiricek has a higher ceiling but I love the skating ability of Mateychuk.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Some people saying that Mateychuk is better are delusional.
I’m one of those people

I think Jiricek has better offensive tools and obviously better size, but the skating hasn’t improved to my liking yet. Also his defensive game has largely stayed the same. I do think his defensive game will come around though, but I’m not as certain in the skating.

Is he a finished product? Nope. Is Mateychuk being higher a potential case of putting too much stock in “what have you done for me lately?” Yeah, maybe. But I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Jiricek had a step back last year (yes I know, against pros) meanwhile Mateychuk has only ascended.

But you know what’s really cool? We have both of them on our team. We can afford to be patient with them. It’s not an either/or thing, we can have them both. The sky is the limit for both. I just hope Jiricek can maybe park the ego a bit and start doing better in his own end.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I’m one of those people

I think Jiricek has better offensive tools and obviously better size, but the skating hasn’t improved to my liking yet. Also his defensive game has largely stayed the same. I do think his defensive game will come around though, but I’m not as certain in the skating.

Is he a finished product? Nope. Is Mateychuk being higher a potential case of putting too much stock in “what have you done for me lately?” Yeah, maybe. But I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Jiricek had a step back last year (yes I know, against pros) meanwhile Mateychuk has only ascended.

But you know what’s really cool? We have both of them on our team. We can afford to be patient with them. It’s not an either/or thing, we can have them both. The sky is the limit for both. I just hope Jiricek can maybe park the ego a bit and start doing better in his own end.
This is generally where I’m at as well. Skating is the single most consequential trait a player can have in this era, and I’m not sure Jiricek’s is good enough yet.

That being said, he did play okay on a pretty bad team while he was up last year. The offense probably won’t really break out until a couple full years in the NHL.

Mateychuk, on the other hand, has notably improved on his weak areas and was one of the best all around players in juniors this past year. Skating is one of his strengths. It’s not hard to envision him being a better player than Jiricek long term. But also, who cares which player is better? We have both of them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Skating is the single most consequential trait a player can have in this era
This might explain why I've been having so many evaluation issues lately. I have never been able to figure out skating on my own outside of one-on-one stuff (comparing how defender reacts to attacker); it's always leaning on what I hear from other people. Likewise, I can see "that's a good place to be" but don't quite put two and two together w/r/t how one gets there. This is why I'll likely never be a NHL scout. :)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This might explain why I've been having so many evaluation issues lately. I have never been able to figure out skating on my own outside of one-on-one stuff (comparing how defender reacts to attacker); it's always leaning on what I hear from other people. Likewise, I can see "that's a good place to be" but don't quite put two and two together w/r/t how one gets there. This is why I'll likely never be a NHL scout. :)
In regard to your last couple sentences, I don’t really understand how that much improvement can happen either. Jiricek will likely be able to improve it because he has to grow into his body still. But guys like KJ and Sillinger probably won’t see that much skating improvement as the issue is form. Form can be corrected but it takes a lot of time to truly break bad habits and even then it’s not like they’ll suddenly get a lot faster. Imagine how good KJ could be if he was a bit faster, he would basically be Jack Hughes lite.

Skating, or at least speed, seems like it is very much a “you have it or you don’t” trait, but I’d love for folks to come in and give me some examples to the contrary.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Lumii_20240723_172309138.jpg

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
In regard to your last couple sentences, I don’t really understand how that much improvement can happen either. Jiricek will likely be able to improve it because he has to grow into his body still. But guys like KJ and Sillinger probably won’t see that much skating improvement as the issue is form. Form can be corrected but it takes a lot of time to truly break bad habits and even then it’s not like they’ll suddenly get a lot faster. Imagine how good KJ could be if he was a bit faster, he would basically be Jack Hughes lite.

Skating, or at least speed, seems like it is very much a “you have it or you don’t” trait, but I’d love for folks to come in and give me some examples to the contrary.
I'm no expert so this is merely observation/opinion... I don't think it's all about foot speed or the speed of skating, but more about the ability to maintain balance, strength and edgework so you aren't "wobbly" or your turns and acceleration aren't choppy. If you have a good IQ and can anticipate plays, that can change the "speed" of the game. It's one thing to keep up with McJesus in a race on the ice, it's another to play WITH him at pace because you can anticipate and not fumble on your skates. Know the place you need to get to and do it in a manner that is efficient and smooth.

From what I've seen of Jiricek, he isn't smooth and his edgework isn't great. His turns are wide or he stumbles in and out of breaks. He may be fast but his lateral movement causes issues with a better skater when defending.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
While Jiricek may not be the best skater, he might actually be the rare case where his talent and abilities on the PP are so good that you put him out there in those offensive situations to let him do what he does best and be the offensive dynamo that he can be, letting him gain confidence while attempting to shelter him defensively in game. All the while working with him on defensive reads and skills in practice while having him focusing on skating and getting stronger on his skates and trying to put on some extra weight in the off-season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm no expert so this is merely observation/opinion... I don't think it's all about foot speed or the speed of skating, but more about the ability to maintain balance, strength and edgework so you aren't "wobbly" or your turns and acceleration aren't choppy. If you have a good IQ and can anticipate plays, that can change the "speed" of the game. It's one thing to keep up with McJesus in a race on the ice, it's another to play WITH him at pace because you can anticipate and not fumble on your skates. Know the place you need to get to and do it in a manner that is efficient and smooth.

From what I've seen of Jiricek, he isn't smooth and his edgework isn't great. His turns are wide or he stumbles in and out of breaks. He may be fast but his lateral movement causes issues with a better skater when defending.

Exactly, the instability also affects his play with the puck under pressure. He's trying to execute subtle plays while off balance and that execution is suffering. He has the quick thinking and "hip pocket" handling to make lots of small area escape passes and nifty little plays from the point, but off balance under NHL pressure it's not working very well.

Often times young D simplify their games in order to keep up in the NHL. With Jiricek I hope he keeps those ornaments and focuses on long term improvements to his skating form. That's the sort of progress that often requires AHL time, it's really hard to do in the NHL.

While Jiricek may not be the best skater, he might actually be the rare case where his talent and abilities on the PP are so good that you put him out there in those offensive situations to let him do what he does best and be the offensive dynamo that he can be, letting him gain confidence while attempting to shelter him defensively in game. All the while working with him on defensive reads and skills in practice while having him focusing on skating and getting stronger on his skates and trying to put on some extra weight in the off-season.

I think it is one of those situations, but we don't necessarily have to have him on the team this year. Evan Bouchard was a similar AHLer, where the D just wasn't progressing fast enough. Eventually he did get the top PP job in Edmonton and his game took off next to Ekholm. But that was after three seasons in the AHL/SHL. He made the league full time in his D+4. We'll eventually have to give Jiricek the keys (and the #1PP job) and see how he blossoms, but it doesn't have to be right now, regardless of how high he was drafted.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Exactly, the instability also affects his play with the puck under pressure. He's trying to execute subtle plays while off balance and that execution is suffering. He has the quick thinking and "hip pocket" handling to make lots of small area escape passes and nifty little plays from the point, but off balance under NHL pressure it's not working very well.

Often times young D simplify their games in order to keep up in the NHL. With Jiricek I hope he keeps those ornaments and focuses on long term improvements to his skating form. That's the sort of progress that often requires AHL time, it's really hard to do in the NHL.

I think it is one of those situations, but we don't necessarily have to have him on the team this year. Evan Bouchard was a similar AHLer, where the D just wasn't progressing fast enough. Eventually he did get the top PP job in Edmonton and his game took off next to Ekholm. But that was after three seasons in the AHL/SHL. He made the league full time in his D+4. We'll eventually have to give Jiricek the keys (and the #1PP job) and see how he blossoms, but it doesn't have to be right now, regardless of how high he was drafted.
I agree, I just think when you factor in the human factor, he might need some NHL ice time for his sanity. But I agree, in a perfect world id love all of the kids in the AHL.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree, I just think when you factor in the human factor, he might need some NHL ice time for his sanity.

For me that's a product of poorly set expectations. It's Waddells job to re-set the expectations to their proper place, not to accommodate them.

When David was whining about not getting the opportunity that Korchinski and Nemec were getting, I was thinking he needs to be told more about the path that Edvinsson is following or the path that Bouchard followed. Bouchard turned out ok, kid. Do you want to be like him?

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jiriceks biggest issue for the general hockey world is they got to see him too soon. If he was in the CHL dominating kids he'd still be one of the better prospects in hockey. Im gonna reserve judgement on where he should be until I see what he accomplishes this summer. Suggesting either league now is pretty silly, 1 offseason can change so much and so many of his issues are started by physical/mechanical weaknesses. Those are fixable, might happen sooner than people think or it might take some time, either way setting out his future on july 23 is useless.

Edit: Also to expand on my point about being seen too soon. People talk about Jiricek being lost defensively or wandering... Have you seen Mateychuk play? Hes improved a ton but is still... active I guess I could say in his own end. Hes got some of the same deficiencies in his own zone Jiricek has but I guess people havent seen it yet so hes not judged the same way on it. Love them both as prospects but feels like a lot of harsh judgement on the guy doing it vs men but not the guy doing it against boys

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I am not sure our definition of the word "dominating" is the same. I saw him several times in Cleveland and I saw a kid who showed potential but still struggled defensively. I don't know if he starts in Columbus this season but I saw a kid that I don't think is NHL ready.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I am not sure our definition of the word "dominating" is the same. I saw him several times in Cleveland and I saw a kid who showed potential but still struggled defensively. I don't know if he starts in Columbus this season but I saw a kid that I don't think is NHL ready.
Not to pile on, but in the Calder Cup Playoffs he made quite a few plays that made you say “wtf” out loud - plays that would end up in the back of your net at the NHL level. Still work to do. Not sure if it’s possible to teach Hockey IQ, but I hope he continues to develop his!

Reactions: thebus88 and Doggy

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Not sure if it’s possible to teach Hockey IQ, but I hope he continues to develop his!
not jiricek-specific but in watching/reading a lot of stuff from the EP team leading up to the draft. this year, they talked about this a lot with lindstrom, and how teams can teach/develop hockey sense.

with lindstrom, it was that his game wasn't built around hockey sense initially, but that he's really turning into a smart hockey player. they think he'll eventually be a high-end player in terms of hockey sense.

i don't think jiricek's hockey IQ is bad, fwiw. i think he's a young player who was always the most talented guy on the ice for most of his life, who now needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with as a pro.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
not jiricek-specific but in watching/reading a lot of stuff from the EP team leading up to the draft. this year, they talked about this a lot with lindstrom, and how teams can teach/develop hockey sense.

with lindstrom, it was that his game wasn't built around hockey sense initially, but that he's really turning into a smart hockey player. they think he'll eventually be a high-end player in terms of hockey sense.

i don't think jiricek's hockey IQ is bad, fwiw. i think he's a young player who was always the most talented guy on the ice for most of his life, who now needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with as a pro.

I thought his hockey sense was terrific at lower levels, when he had to think fast he did and made mostly very good decisions. I think he's facing a lot of challenges in his skating form that are hurting his execution at the highest level.

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
who now needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with as a pro.
Yes, but I also wonder if his image of being a pro at the highest level is mainly just scoring as many points as possible as a dman, or is to be as effective defender as he can realistically, or something in between? If he stubbornly wants to play like some of the elite skating offensive D who as players don't even share same flaws and strengths as Jiricek, I'm afraid the finished product won't ever be a true high-end 1D that we all hoped for.

What needs to be worked on the most?
Coaches use the word "gap" a lot. So I should mainly be closer to opponents. In the NHL, there are still bigger gaps that I need to improve.
How do you approach criticism and mistakes when something goes wrong?
Of course, I try to eliminate shortcomings, but at the same time I know that there will always be some. No match will be perfect. They want to give me advice, but mistakes happen, I have to work with them and improve.
Aren't they trying to remake you in Columbus?
I try to always play the same way and I want to be an offensive defender. I think that's how they drafted me and I really hope they never want to redo me. I know I can play forward, produce points and help on power plays. I'm just waiting for a chance.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes, but I also wonder if his image of being a pro at the highest level is mainly just scoring as many points as possible as a dman, or is to be as effective defender as he can realistically, or something in between? If he stubbornly wants to play like some of the elite skating offensive D who as players don't even share same flaws and strengths as Jiricek, I'm afraid the finished product won't ever be a true high-end 1D that we all hoped for.

In this case, he wants his offensive potential to be utilized, which is not to say he doesn't want to improve his defense and play without the puck.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
In this case, he wants his offensive potential to be utilized, which is not to say he doesn't want to improve his defense and play without the puck.
Thanks for the correction, I'll take your word for it. I got a little different impression from reading the translation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad