David Ayres Appreciation thread

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I was at work and saw what happened all over the internet and Sportsnet/TSN webpage, What a great story anytime a emergency goalie gets in you can't help but cheer for them. This has got to be one of the best feel good stories of the year. Dave Ayres needs his own hockey card!
DoJ0uBq.jpg
Just amazing. Best thing I have seen in a long time in the NHL. Congrats!

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Boys should all put in $1,000 each for Dave Ayres.
'Canes management match it!

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Goaltender Dave Ayres Top Maple Leafs 6-3

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
Memories for a lifetime. For Ayres. For the Canes. For head coach Rod Brind'Amour.
"That's pretty special. I told the guys after the game, I thanked them because that just gave me an incredible memory. Just the way that game unfolded, how hard we were playing and then to have that happen," Brind'Amour said. "You kind of think, oh well. How is this going to end up? We just dug in and said we're not going to lose this game. For him, what a moment he'll have for the rest of his life. That's incredible. That's why you do this."
John Tavares gave him his "welcome to the show" moment, scoring on the first shot, and the Leafs pulled within a goal before the end of the second period.
"I thought I wasn't going to be nervous if it ever happened, but I was nervous for the whole second period, as you could tell. I couldn't stop a puck if I had to in the second," Ayres said. "I told the boys, 'When I come out in the third, I'll be ready to go.'"
The message in the second intermission was simple.
"Just tell him to have fun and relax," Foegele said. :He was probably a little bit nervous, but what a moment for him, something he'll never forget and something we won't either."
"These guys were awesome," Ayres said. "They said to me, 'Just have fun with it. Don't worry about how many goals go in. Just enjoy it. This is your moment. Have fun with it.'"
"I said, 'Stop the puck, buddy.' We told him we were going to go after it in the third. 'We're not going to sit back. We're going to try to protect you, but you're going to have to make a save or two and get us the win.' That's exactly what happened," Brind'Amour said. "I just love the way our guys accepted him and cheered him on. That's special to be a part of."
The Canes brought a 4-3 lead into the third period, and within the first minute, Foegele scored to stretch the advantage to 5-3.
They then dug in and suffocated a seemingly befuddled Leafs squad, which only mustered 10 shots on goal from the time Ayres entered the game until the final horn sounded.
Recap: Canes, Emergency Back-Up Goaltender Ayres Top Maple Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad