Dave Balon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Dave Balon was from Wacaw, Saskatchewan. Like seemingly every other hockey player from that province, he was tough. While just average in size – 5' 10” 180lbs – he played a very physical game, and was very aggressive along the boards and in front of the opposition net.

It was Balon's physicality in the 1969-70 playoffs which really drew my attention to him. As a member of the Blueshirts' Bulldog Line – with Walt Tkaczuk and Bill Fairbairn – he gave the Big, Bad Bruins a good taste of the brand of hockey they were famous for. His one goal and one assist in that six-game series might not be impressive. His 32 PIM give a better picture of the game he played.

During the regular season, Dave better demonstrated his ability to produce offensively, while playing a very physical game. In 76 games in 1969-70, he scored 33 goals – to lead the Rangers – and picked up 37 assists. His 70 points were third on the team, seven behind his line-mate Tkaczuk, and four behind Jean Ratelle. The other Bulldog – rookie Fairbairn – was fourth on the team in points. Balon was even more productive in 1970-71, scoring 36 goals, and again leading New York in that category.

While Dave's most productive seasons were with the Rangers, I'm sure he would have insisted that his best seasons – all things considered – were with the Canadiens. After the 1962-63 season – after playing parts of four seasons in New York – he was sent to Montreal with Gump Worsley, Leon Rochefort and Len Ronson. Jacques Plante, Phil Goyette and Don Marshall went to the Blueshirts. His first season with the Habs – 1963-64 – Balon scored 24 goals, this at a time in the history of the NHL where a 20-goal season was a big deal. He scored 18 goals in 63 games in 1964-65.

Dave made it to the Stanley Cup Final in 1964-65, 1965-66 and 1966-67. He hoisted the Cup those first two seasons. After the 1966-67 season – where Montreal lost to Toronto in the Final – Expansion arrived. Balon was selected by the Minnesota North Stars. After the 1967-68 season, he was back in New York. During the 1971-72 season, Dave was traded to the Vancouver Canucks. By this time, he was in the early stages of multiple sclerosis, which was robbing him of the energy which had been the hallmark of his career. As a result, he picked up just 5 points in 57 games in 1972-73. His professional career ended in 1973-74, after just nine games with the WHA's Quebec Nordiques – picking up zero points.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Dave Balon was from Wacaw, Saskatchewan. Like seemingly every other hockey player from that province, he was tough. While just average in size – 5' 10” 180lbs – he played a very physical game, and was very aggressive along the boards and in front of the opposition net.

It was Balon's physicality in the 1969-70 playoffs which really drew my attention to him. As a member of the Blueshirts' Bulldog Line – with Walt Tkaczuk and Bill Fairbairn – he gave the Big, Bad Bruins a good taste of the brand of hockey they were famous for. His one goal and one assist in that six-game series might not be impressive. His 32 PIM give a better picture of the game he played.

During the regular season, Dave better demonstrated his ability to produce offensively, while playing a very physical game. In 76 games in 1969-70, he scored 33 goals – to lead the Rangers – and picked up 37 assists. His 70 points were third on the team, seven behind his line-mate Tkaczuk, and four behind Jean Ratelle. The other Bulldog – rookie Fairbairn – was fourth on the team in points. Balon was even more productive in 1970-71, scoring 36 goals, and again leading New York in that category.

While Dave's most productive seasons were with the Rangers, I'm sure he would have insisted that his best seasons – all things considered – were with the Canadiens. After the 1962-63 season – after playing parts of four seasons in New York – he was sent to Montreal with Gump Worsley, Leon Rochefort and Len Ronson. Jacques Plante, Phil Goyette and Don Marshall went to the Blueshirts. His first season with the Habs – 1963-64 – Balon scored 24 goals, this at a time in the history of the NHL where a 20-goal season was a big deal. He scored 18 goals in 63 games in 1964-65.

Dave made it to the Stanley Cup Final in 1964-65, 1965-66 and 1966-67. He hoisted the Cup those first two seasons. After the 1966-67 season – where Montreal lost to Toronto in the Final – Expansion arrived. Balon was selected by the Minnesota North Stars. After the 1967-68 season, he was back in New York. During the 1971-72 season, Dave was traded to the Vancouver Canucks. By this time, he was in the early stages of multiple sclerosis, which was robbing him of the energy which had been the hallmark of his career. As a result, he picked up just 5 points in 57 games in 1972-73. His professional career ended in 1973-74, after just nine games with the WHA's Quebec Nordiques – picking up zero points.
Thanks for the post! Balon had MS for 30 years. Only 68 when he passed.

I remember his days with the Rangers. Listening to my red transistor radio with Marv Albert and Bill "the big whistle" Chadwick doing the games

I had totally forgotten that Plante played 2 forgettable seasons in NY

Great post--Great memories!

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I had Balon in the all time draft years ago and did some research on him and came away quite impressed with him.

Edit - it was ten years ago.. time flies. The site migrations have messed it up but hopefully the articles are still there for those interested:

Unfortunately the best one which really gave insight into how inspiring he and his wife were in dealing with MS is broken :(

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad