Rumor: Dater: Penguins Interested in Soderberg as a Fallback Option

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Interesting, so something based around Gustavsson, Hunwick + then?

I'd like to keep Soda and don't know how to judge goalie prospects technically, but that seems like the type of return that it could make sense to move (and retain on) Soda for if Gustavsson is all he sounds like he is.

That + is probably a top 100 pick, whose exact placement would depend on the exact retention on Soda. Given the two teams' respective cap situations, the avs would probably be happy to retain as much as possible for as good as possible a sweetener pick; but I dunno how much Pittsburgh would need retained/how high a pick they'd be willing to give up to get that maximum retention.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’d be better if his nickname was Beer, but a line of Hotdog, Soda and Pretzel has potential as well.

Quite sure I wouldn’t like the price much with how much we’d want Colorado to retain though.

When I go to NHL games I often find myself displeased with the price of hotdogs, soda & pretzels as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Penguins fans are going about it the wrong way to say no to Soderberg due to his contract. No, his issue is that he makes $4.75 million a year for 2 years after this year when he's turning 33 at the start of next year. Even if you retain $1.5 million on his deal, the term is not good for someone of Soderberg's age and seemingly sharp decline. His contract is just too problematic for me to think the Penguins would be seriously interested in him.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
How long is Johnson out for?

Is there an offer posted yet for Soderberg @ 30% retained for Hunwick, 2nd, B prospect?

No word on EJ yet but he is likely out for the better part of the season. His arm was wrapped up in bandage after the game against EDM.
Hunwick can't be considered anything more than a capdump because if Soda is traded the remaining hopes of a playoff is long gone. So in reality it's a B-prospect and a 2nd for a high tier 3c on a good contract(assuming it's retained).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s the auto response to any post someone disagrees with if the og poster is from Co due to recreational legality of weed. The funny part is most the people who use it move to Co or are from out of state visiting looking for the “Amsterdam” vibe. Very few locals use actually.

So jokes on those who make the reference.

? Looks at location...ah, that makes sense.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We were off because Sakic found a dumb GM to give up that. I'm pretty certain what the second best offer for MD was, it wasn't close to that.

You are acting like he is the second coming. Dial it back. He isn't a scrub. He is actually a good player. But, he isn't bringing back the moon as far as return.

Well we know that the second best offer for Duchene would either be the price Nashville paid for Turris (after it proved insufficient for Duchene) or an offer even better than that. Which means that you guys were pretty wide of the mark since Sam Girard alone blows out of the water what you lot were pitching for Duchene.

So maybe your evaluations are off the mark again and asking for the third best young goalie in your organization + a 2nd or 3rd + getting to dump HunnyBunny back on us, for a heavily retained Soderberg actually isn't asking for the moon?
the more I'm thinking about this, IF the Avs retained salary on Soderberg, i don't think I'd be against an offer of Hunwick, Gustavsson, and a mid-round pick for him.

not sure the Avs would do that, but that's the absolute most I'd offer and that's only if Brassard falls through or is too expensive to acquire.

While some of our fans will undoubtedly mention more contentious names while hoping Sakic can find another GM to overpay him; most of us would be perfectly happy with something along these lines if the team isn't gunna keep Soda around to continue doing the heavy lifting for the kids.
Hmm, not sure the avs are going to retain AND take on Hunwick.

Why not? We have a cap floor to reach and neither of those would be the kind of long-term commitments that might interfere when it came time to pay our cheap kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Penguins fans are going about it the wrong way to say no to Soderberg due to his contract. No, his issue is that he makes $4.75 million a year for 2 years after this year when he's turning 33 at the start of next year. Even if you retain $1.5 million on his deal, the term is not good for someone of Soderberg's age and seemingly sharp decline. His contract is just too problematic for me to think the Penguins would be seriously interested in him.

He also has a lot less mileage than most players his age; having not come over to NA until pretty late. I would happily keep him through the length of his contract and have no worries about the last year turning ugly unless he & Bednar start hating each other again :dunno:

EJ is our older player who I'm worried about living up to his contract in the final years, but not Soda.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I sorry your right the player playing worse is better because he used to be a really good 3c. Cool story bro.

I'm confused. Aren't you the one who tried to argue that Sheahan is better than Soda?

If not I apologize for mixing you pens fans up, that guy was really something else :laugh:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Soderberg is a good player and we need his caphit for next season's floor. No need for some Pens fans to be insufferable about the asking price or denigrate him as a player. He's had a good season and we'd be happy to just keep him if it came down to it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Someone on the Penguins board suggested this, I'm curious to see what Avs fans think the Penguins need to add to make this deal happen:

Penguins trade Sheary, Hunwick and futures
Avs trade Soderberg at $3 million, Comeau at $2 million and Barberio

You're retaining $1.75 million on Soderberg's contract for 2 years after this year and $400k on Comeau's contract for the remainder of this year. This deal gives the Penguins a 3C and a 3LW that fit opposite of Kessel (the Penguins 3rd line would probably be Comeau-Soderberg-Kessel, if I had to guess) and a replacement depth defensemen for Hunwick. The Avs get a middle-6 speedy winger and futures with a cap dump. The Avs end up adding $2.25 million to their payroll for next year, so that helps them get closer to the cap floor. What futures would the Penguins need to add there?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Someone on the Penguins board suggested this, I'm curious to see what Avs fans think the Penguins need to add to make this deal happen:

Penguins trade Sheary, Hunwick and futures
Avs trade Soderberg at $3 million, Comeau at $2 million and Barberio

You're retaining $1.75 million on Soderberg's contract for 2 years after this year and $400k on Comeau's contract for the remainder of this year. This deal gives the Penguins a 3C and a 3LW that fit opposite of Kessel (the Penguins 3rd line would probably be Comeau-Soderberg-Kessel, if I had to guess) and a replacement depth defensemen for Hunwick. The Avs get a middle-6 speedy winger and futures with a cap dump. The Avs end up adding $2.25 million to their payroll for next year, so that helps them get closer to the cap floor. What futures would the Penguins need to add there?
Can you define what "futures" means? Because Comeau has had a good season too. And I doubt we can trade Barberio by the deadline, he's hurt and hasn't even resumed skating yet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can you define what "futures" means? Because Comeau has had a good season too. And I doubt we can trade Barberio by the deadline, he's hurt and hasn't even resumed skating yet.

Futures are like picks and prospects, stuff like that. I was only using Barberio as a rental defensemen to be the #8 defensemen, maybe a Warsofsky reunion would work better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know this. I meant more along the lines of, is it a 1st? Is it Jarry/Gust? Sheary isn't all that interesting to me personally.

I'd probably say something like a 2nd and a decent forward prospect, something like DiPauli or Dea or Blueger. It basically ends up being Sheary for Soderberg, a 2nd and Dea/DiPauli/Blueger for Coemau and Hunwick for Warsofsky, which all seem reasonable.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm confused. Aren't you the one who tried to argue that Sheahan is better than Soda?

If not I apologize for mixing you pens fans up, that guy was really something else :laugh:

Well every thing ppints to that being absolutely correct so im not sure where the confusion comes from.

Scoring more ... Yep
Better possession ... Yep
Like HERO charts? They think Sheahans better too.
Faceoffs... Yep

Name recognition... Your right, i guess Soderberg used to be really good so he must still be better.

I mean i guess we should give up some top prospects and picks to find out right?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'd probably say something like a 2nd and a decent forward prospect, something like DiPauli or Dea or Blueger. It basically ends up being Sheary for Soderberg, a 2nd and Dea/DiPauli/Blueger for Coemau and Hunwick for Warsofsky, which all seem reasonable.
Personally I'd pass on that offer. Feels like we're retaining + taking a cap dump in return for nothing. I think we'd be better off holding onto them. It's 2/3 of our 3rd line, it would hurt on the ice to give that up for 1 winger (which we don't even need), a lotto ticket prospect, and a very late 2nd which is practically a 3rd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Personally I'd pass on that offer. I think we'd be better off holding onto them. It's 2/3 of our 3rd line, it would hurt on the ice to give that up for 1 winger (which we don't even need), a lotto ticket prospect, and a very late 2nd which is practically a 3rd.

I can understand that, but one correction. I actually don't think DiPauli or Dea or Blueger are "lotto ticket" prospects, they're all low ceiling, but likely NHLers. So they're very likely to be depth players. Not that it changes anything, but just wanted to say that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well every thing ppints to that being absolutely correct so im not sure where the confusion comes from.

Scoring more ... Yep
Better possession ... Yep
Like HERO charts? They think Sheahans better too.
Faceoffs... Yep

Name recognition... Your right, i guess Soderberg used to be really good so he must still be better.

I mean i guess we should give up some top prospects and picks to find out right?

Oh you are that guy, I assumed that after uncle eddie made such a fool of you, you wouldn't come right back with copies of your old posts. Nice to see that you're still here for folks to laugh at :thumbu:

Reactions: S E P H

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well berg in Swedish means mountain. So I guess it makes more sense for him to stay in the mountains

Technically Pittsburgh is in the mountains too...just really, really, really old mountains. Really.
edit: Actually, I think the Appalachians were connected to the mountains in Scandinavia before the continents broke apart...so that'd be more appropriate than the spelling of Pittsburgh.

Erm, back on topic...Sheahan has been awesome the past couple months. Really.

He's having a better season than Bonino had last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I can understand that, but one correction. I actually don't think DiPauli or Dea or Blueger are "lotto ticket" prospects, they're all low ceiling, but likely NHLers. So they're very likely to be depth players. Not that it changes anything, but just wanted to say that.
Then they're more like dollar scratch tickets haha

We have a number of those and those kind of prospects don't have much value to be honest. I actually didn't know anything about them so I gave the benefit of the doubt that they were B prospects but low ceiling probably means C prospects.

Let's start with Gustavsson + cap dump. With retention on Soderberg, what are the parameters of a trade like that? If it's not feasible maybe there is nothing there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad