Player Discussion Darnell Nurse '24-25 Season Discussion

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I must say that he is looking to play a more physical game and might even seem a bit bigger/stronger than previously? I respect that because if he is going to be mostly the same player at least this brings something of value to our blueline.
He's still in his prime. Last year was poor, but there is no reason why he can't bounce back to the level of the year before.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He plays with Stetcher like he played with Bear.

Just brings out a less dumb player for some reason. I don't know why. No clue why Ceci turned him into a moron, but he's looking like a very serviceable top-4 again.

He's not the single guy in charge of the breakout when he plays with Stecher or Kulak or Broberg, or even Barrie and Bear going way back. All of those guys are happy to take the puck and headman it themselves without even glancing at their partner.

Nurse struggles when he has to lead the breakout but isn't allowed to skate it out. Ceci, along with the new guys in Emberson and Dermott, just defaulted to Nurse to lead the attack, and other teams knew to sit on that. Those struggles then started to creep into and poison every part of his game.

Right now he's able just focus on doing what he does well, which is be a physically dominant, but highly reactive (vs. anticipative) defenceman.

One thing I noticed last night is they tagged Stecher out for Kulak, and not the right handed Emberson, at the end of the game. Overall, I think that's the best approach for now, plus I don't mind the idea of Kulak possibly growing more into that role down the line.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean, Nurse creates narratives pretty easily on his own. His pocket was picked. Here is the situation he was in, and somehow he ended up being a pylon and didn't even touch the puck. View attachment 918219
In our net a few seconds later

There was no position to be out of on the 2nd one. Ek had the guy on the boards, Henrique had the other. The other 2 preds were behind Arvidsson. It was just Nurse and Marchessault in the slot and Nurse stopped skating and did his classic full stretch reach in.

I do hope like everyone else though that he figures out how to not be a liability.
Yea I had the same thoughts on that first goal. Nurse with full possession but as usual he takes too long and just gets stripped, then Stetcher too weak to tie up his man in front who tips it home.

Stetcher was terrible last night by my eye which is extremely concerning. Nurse was okay at best.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I mean, Nurse creates narratives pretty easily on his own. His pocket was picked. Here is the situation he was in, and somehow he ended up being a pylon and didn't even touch the puck. View attachment 918219
In our net a few seconds later

There was no position to be out of on the 2nd one. Ek had the guy on the boards, Henrique had the other. The other 2 preds were behind Arvidsson. It was just Nurse and Marchessault in the slot and Nurse stopped skating and did his classic full stretch reach in.

I do hope like everyone else though that he figures out how to not be a liability.
You musta been pumped by Ekholms lazy ass play on the 2nd goal. Or Stetchers lazy ass play on Forsberg on the 1st goal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You musta been pumped by Ekholms lazy ass play on the 2nd goal. Or Stetchers lazy ass play on Forsberg on the 1st goal.

If they keep doing that stuff consistently for years, will be mad for sure. Although, one of those guys that we're hoping can elevate Nurse makes 1/12th what Nurse does.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
1st goal doesn't happen if Nurse has any puck skills, but alas.

2nd goal I'd blame the 4 guys who decided to change over Ekholm or Nurse.

Reactions: frag2

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
1st goal doesn't happen if Nurse has any puck skills, but alas.

2nd goal I'd blame the 4 guys who decided to change over Ekholm or Nurse.
Ekholm made a lazy ass play. Should have a thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad