Dark Side Of The Ring season 4

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For the longest time we really only had one option in Canada to watch wrestling and it forced you to watch WWF. Then things became available and gave us the option to watch both WCW and WWF.

The beauty was once WCW started pissing me off I just did the natural thing and went back to watching WWF primarily. Still due to other lucky factors would watch the PPV's of WCW, but I really was picking and choosing how much of Nitro/Thunder I would watch.

Probably due to this I too never realized how short Russo was in WCW until I looked it up today. I really didn't realize until recently how little I ended up following WCW towards the end. There was so much that happened those last few years that I just didn't realize how much other garbage I was missing from WCW. In hindsight kind of thankful I didn't religiously follow WCW the way I did when I first had access to it.
I think Russo saw the Montreal Screwjob and knew he could get over as a heel.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One of the other things I never got with Russo, but he got heralded as some kind of genius, but to my knowledge, we’ve never heard what it is he actually did as the head writer in WWF. And no one else has. Like, was pushing Austin or creating DX hit idea? They say WWF turned it around basically copying WCW, but never say who was doing it.

Reactions: Voight

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
One of the other things I never got with Russo, but he got heralded as some kind of genius, but to my knowledge, we’ve never heard what it is he actually did as the head writer in WWF. And no one else has. Like, was pushing Austin or creating DX hit idea? They say WWF turned it around basically copying WCW, but never say who was doing it.

The people who say Vince Russo is some kind of genius are...

Vince Russo.

He's great at self-promotion. Up there with Hogan among the greatest of all time.

Reactions: Voight and GKJ

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
For the longest time we really only had one option in Canada to watch wrestling and it forced you to watch WWF. Then things became available and gave us the option to watch both WCW and WWF.

The beauty was once WCW started pissing me off I just did the natural thing and went back to watching WWF primarily. Still due to other lucky factors would watch the PPV's of WCW, but I really was picking and choosing how much of Nitro/Thunder I would watch.

Probably due to this I too never realized how short Russo was in WCW until I looked it up today. I really didn't realize until recently how little I ended up following WCW towards the end. There was so much that happened those last few years that I just didn't realize how much other garbage I was missing from WCW. In hindsight kind of thankful I didn't religiously follow WCW the way I did when I first had access to it.
I remember back in the late mid/late 90s, TSN showed Raw live on Monday nights, and would repeat it Tuesdays at 4pm. IIRC, TSN would also show Nitro Wednesdays at 4pm...was it even possible to watch Nitro live on Mondays in Canada, unless you had TNT?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I don't believe so. We used to have Dish Network (US Satellite) so I was one of the ones flipping back and forth however I was just like that masses that watched Raw then as Nitro became interesting it had more of my attention than Raw then at some point when seemingly the entire roster was in the NWO I found my way back to Raw. I believe Nitro was 8-10 and Raw 9-11 so it was only one hour plus overruns that were problematic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dwayne insisting he be in this if only because he can was abjectly stupid

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They started production on another season

Billy Jack Haynes and Ludvig Borga were two names I saw explored

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I remember back in the late mid/late 90s, TSN showed Raw live on Monday nights, and would repeat it Tuesdays at 4pm. IIRC, TSN would also show Nitro Wednesdays at 4pm...was it even possible to watch Nitro live on Mondays in Canada, unless you had TNT?

Nitro was never live in Canada.

But they used to air Nitro either it was later Monday night or Tuesday. I never had TSN at my house we lived just outside of the main community and didn't have access to cable. So my Grandfather would tape Raw and Nitro for me and I'd pick up the tape on Wednesday afternoons and Wednesday nights became a 5-hour pro wrestling marathon in 1998 and early 1999. Great times.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Was rewatching some episodes lately

I feel like they left gaps out of the doink story
I dont think that lady killed him just think shes dumb

Bash at the beach is a funny one idk who to believe theyre all liars hogan jarrett russo maybe bischoff is the least liar

Idk who they would talk about on the next season they seem to have run out of material

Just downloaded the territory show is it all a round table or is it like darkside?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Nitro was never live in Canada.

But they used to air Nitro either it was later Monday night or Tuesday. I never had TSN at my house we lived just outside of the main community and didn't have access to cable. So my Grandfather would tape Raw and Nitro for me and I'd pick up the tape on Wednesday afternoons and Wednesday nights became a 5-hour pro wrestling marathon in 1998 and early 1999. Great times.
Now that i think of it, they may have showed Nitro on Tuesday nights in addition to Wednesdays at 4pm

Reactions: BruinDust

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was rewatching some episodes lately

I feel like they left gaps out of the doink story
I dont think that lady killed him just think shes dumb

Bash at the beach is a funny one idk who to believe theyre all liars hogan jarrett russo maybe bischoff is the least liar

Idk who they would talk about on the next season they seem to have run out of material

Just downloaded the territory show is it all a round table or is it like darkside?
I don't think they will ever run out of stories as there are quite a few sad stories to go through. They just will slowly be having less profile guys to talk about.

I can't remember territory now, think it was mostly round table. But I've watched so much since then that I can't 100% remember. I did remember liking it though

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I don't think they will ever run out of stories as there are quite a few sad stories to go through. They just will slowly be having less profile guys to talk about.

I can't remember territory now, think it was mostly round table. But I've watched so much since then that I can't 100% remember. I did remember liking it though

deleted territory to make room for other stuff anyways had to redownload WCW PPVs 96-01

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Yeah, there is really no shortage of deadbeats and scumbags in wrestling too, just not all will be sexy names like Scott Hall, Jake Roberts, Etc.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, there is really no shortage of deadbeats and scumbags in wrestling too, just not all will be sexy names like Scott Hall, Jake Roberts, Etc.
While it's not exactly as dark as most, I did like the way they went about John Tenta's episode.

Surely there must be some others that they could do episodes similar to that.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There's still a few they could do...

The Heros of Wrestling PPV
Chyna
Sunny Part 2, because lets be honest, there's still a ton there.
Test
The Ringboy
Ashley Massaro

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
There's still a few they could do...

The Heros of Wrestling PPV
Chyna
Sunny Part 2, because lets be honest, there's still a ton there.
Test
The Ringboy
Ashley Massaro

Buck Zumhofe
Verne Gagne - between the scheme to break hogans leg / killing the guy in a senior home/ AWA failure
Iron Sheik
Big John Studd could fit into the earthquake type story
Ken Patera
The Hardys - are their troubles dark enough?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mick Foley is the most wholesome wrestler ever. I guess they will talk about the consequences wrestling his style had on his body... because there is nothing else dark about him.
Well there is that time he cheated in a chicken wing eating contest for some reason.

But given the industry he worked in, that's barely a blip on the radar compared to say, murdering your girlfriend or your family because you have the brain of an 80 year old.

Still kinda funny though. In a "okay but why?" type of way.

Reactions: Voight and CDJ

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Mick Foley is the most wholesome wrestler ever. I guess they will talk about the consequences wrestling his style had on his body... because there is nothing else dark about him.
Ya that's about the only thing I can think of.

The guy had potential to be a dark side of the ring type guy, but he left I guess at the right time.

How the hell he's still alive after the abuse he took is something else.

I get it that his body is all mangled up today, but how he avoided brain injuries with long last effects or how he never became a full on addict to pain pills is something else. The writing truly was on the wall for him to be on this show in the wrong way, but somehow he's made it through

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ya that's about the only thing I can think of.

The guy had potential to be a dark side of the ring type guy, but he left I guess at the right time.

How the hell he's still alive after the abuse he took is something else.

I get it that his body is all mangled up today, but how he avoided brain injuries with long last effects or how he never became a full on addict to pain pills is something else. The writing truly was on the wall for him to be on this show in the wrong way, but somehow he's made it through
The brain stuff can come on at anytime, that’s the scary part. I know Raven seems to have had a decline in that regard over the last year, sad to see. He’s still intelligent and has a good mind for the business but you see he struggles to complete thoughts now, he’s all over the place. And he’s kinda always been like that but it’s to another level now. Hard to watch some of our childhood heroes age in this way.

• Wow
Reactions: Troublesome 85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad