Value of: Darcy Kuemper

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
you don't need an elite defense.

You need a good offense and considering the Leafs finished #2 in the NHL fort offense and scored 3+ on Tampa for 6 straight games and the offense is lead by the reigning MVP I think we can both agree the Leafs have a good offense, in fact I'd go a step further and call it elite.

A good defense, which you yourself have said the Leafs have.

and a good goalie and this is where Toronto is lacking, they don't have a guy that can make the save, the save you need to beat Tampa.

Maybe that guy is Kuemper

Maybe it's Husso

Maybe it's Fleury

Maybe it's a trade option like Varlamov

or Lehner

or Gibson

or Blackwood out of NJ because he put up solid numbers in his first couple seasons but NJ is AWFUL now maybe he bounces back on a better team.

you know who can tell you 10000000% for sure that it's not?

Jack Campbell

How many different goalies does Toronto go through until you realize either the defence sucks or their defensive system sucks?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How many different goalies does Toronto go through until you realize either the defence sucks or their defensive system sucks?
an 897 save% in the playoffs is not a defense issue

an 893 save% from December-April is not a defense issue.

if your goalie can't give you a 900 save% for the majority of the season

or at all in the playoffs that's not a defense issue\

sub 900 is not a defense issue that's a goaltending issue

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In reality, he is probably the best UFA goalie available. The competition is guys like Husso, Campbell, Holtby, etc. Nobody as proven certainly. He had a rough playoff with his eye issue and some shaky play in a few games, but he still backed the Avalanche to the cup. 5M x 4 or 5 years minimum.

Agreed on Kuemper being the best UFA goaltender available.

Not sure what the contract will look like but I do think he’s getting at least $5m and 4 years as a base.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
5-6 mil,for “just fine”!?
Markstrom is at around 6 isn’t he? I’m not sure how pumped I would be offering 5-6 for Keumper. I’d rather have Husso .
He’s a starting goaltender who’s now won a Cup. He’s getting that from someone whether we’d pay it or not. I just hope the Leafs don’t do it cause he’ll buckle at the first bad article.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
I really think in order for Colorado Edmonton Toronto and New jersey should be
Plan A :Trade for Gibson
Plan B :Try to sign Fleury
Plan C : Offer sheet or trade for Vanacek or Samsonov
try to sign Kuemper
Try so sign Cambell

And at the final day my predictions
Gibson (Stay in Anaheim)
Fleury (To Toronto)
Vanacek or Samsonov (one of them to Colorado)
Kuemper (To Chicago)
Cambell (New Jersey)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My guess. Avs sign Kuemper for a 5 years x $5mm AAV.

Certain Avs fans will throw a tantrum because that is what they do, but the reasonable Avs fans compliment Sakic on a solid deal for the club. Kuemper is a good goalie. And obviously good enough to win with.

Dude had a 92.1% save percentage in the regular season. That’s strong.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Certain Avs fans will throw a tantrum because that is what they do, but the reasonable Avs fans compliment Sakic on a solid deal for the club. Kuemper is a good goalie. And obviously good enough to win with.

I think you're right in the ballpark on this one. I just don't think it'll be with the Avs. But I think your money and term are right there.

Reactions: AslanRH

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I don't see that term being offered by Sakic, but the cap hit is fair.
I think Kuemper is 50/50 to return, but Sakic will take a fair swing at keeping him around before the 13th.
He won't get caught off guard again though like with Grubs. I think he'll fill that spot next to Francouz by the 15th.

I'll add that I have a sneaky suspicion the Finn connection is strong, and Husso is a sleeper for the UFA signing if Kuemper prices himself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I’m willing to cut Kuemper some slack because of his eye, but he was pretty damn bad in the playoffs. His performance is honestly a testament to how fantastic the team in front of him was. In this market I can easily see someone giving him Grubauer money.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yah Im thinking only a 1 year deal with his eye issues. Anything more is potential cap suicide. Unless I am overstating the issue?

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I’m willing to cut Kuemper some slack because of his eye, but he was pretty damn bad in the playoffs. His performance is honestly a testament to how fantastic the team in front of him was. In this market I can easily see someone giving him Grubauer money.
I can see someone giving Grubauer money as well, but it definitely should not be the Av's. He was below average in the playoffs. I could live with 2 years x $5 at the most for the Avalanche (3rd best option). My top choice would be Fleury for 1 or 2 years. If that doesn't pan out then the second best option is to ride with Francouz and trade for a goalie during the season depending on how Frankie is doing.

Grubauer contract tells you exactly what you should not give to a mediocre starting goalie from the Avalanche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad