Value of: Dante Fabbro to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They don’t have cap space
The Oilers have just around 900K right now. They can add Fabbro's 2.5M by sending down Josh Brown (1M) and Derek Ryan (900K) until they put Kane on LTIR. They could add Fabbro. The bigger hurdle, is convincing Nashville to trade a roster player for futures when they have already solved their cap issue by trading Cody Glass earlier this summer. Trading Fabbro to Edmonton won't make Nashville a better team now, so there isn't much reason to trade him.

Last edited:

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Nuge and Nurse are two different players dawg. Nurse is the grossly overpaid number 4 D on the Oilers.

Nuge is a forward and was the first overall pick in the 2011 draft. He’s underpaid and underrated.

I wouldn't say underpaid, he is paid very fairly for what he brings to the table. Discount his record 100pt season from the insane PP.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
that is when he was RFA

He will take a home town discount for Nashville and nowhere else
I mean I see RFA’s signing 8 million dollar deals often. I just don’t think Fabbro has done much to deserve a massive raise as you say. Can I ask what you think he will get paid as a ufa?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Oilers have just around 900K right now. They can add Fabbro's 2.5M by sending down Josh Brown (1M) and Derek Ryan (900K) until they put Kane on LTIR. They could add Fabbro. The bigger hurdle, is convincing Nashville to trade a roster player for futures when they have already solved their cap issue by trading Cody Glass earlier this summer. Trading Fabbro to Edmonton won't make Nashville a better team now, so there isn't much reason to trade him.

Maybe but they dealt Ceci for space no ?

Kick in the you know what if they sign Brown and Stetcher only to waive them too

Just deal with it and upgrade at the deadline imo

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Maybe but they dealt Ceci for space no ?

Kick in the you know what if they sign Brown and Stetcher only to waive them too

Just deal with it and upgrade at the deadline imo
Ceci makes more than Fabbro, so they would still have space if they made a deal for Fabbro. I don't expect they truly will though, they're likely going into the season with what they have, and will make a move as the season progresses.

Brown was signed to be a tweener between the AHL and NHL. He's paid too much to be claimed, and for too long, in my opinion. Before we lost Broberg and Ceci, Brown was our #8 defenseman on the depth chart, so he was likely always destined to be in the AHL unless they needed him to fill in for injuries. I suspect he knew that he would have a shot to make the team, but was likely going to see a lot of AHL time this year. Regardless, Josh Brown isn't the type of player you look at and say, "we can't make a trade because we signed this guy and he might get upset".

Stecher will be safe as our #7 defenseman I expect.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ceci at 1 million less, on a 3rd pair, would be an incredibly valuable player to have on a contender. The issue here, is that Edmonton would play him 2nd pair. Has he had much of an opportunity on the 2nd pair in Nashville?
Reading Nash boards they expect him to be their 7th D this year.

Overall two years ago he played Ceci like minutes, and was good defensively, terrible offensively. Last year he played an offensive role. OK offensively and OK defensively. Gave the puck away at 3X Ceci rate, few more hits, a lot less blocks notably less offense despite the offensive minutes. Event he salary is not that different. I just see the same player ....

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reading Nash boards they expect him to be their 7th D this year.

Overall two years ago he played Ceci like minutes, and was good defensively, terrible offensively. Last year he played an offensive role. OK offensively and OK defensively. Gave the puck away at 3X Ceci rate, few more hits, a lot less blocks notably less offense despite the offensive minutes. Event he salary is not that different. I just see the same player ....
A 40% difference in contract is pretty significant. It's the difference between "we can bury a guy and fit him in" and "we can't fit him in."

Even if he is Nashville's number 7, he probably has more value to them as an injury fill in than the draft pick he would be worth.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ceci at 1 million less, on a 3rd pair, would be an incredibly valuable player to have on a contender. The issue here, is that Edmonton would play him 2nd pair. Has he had much of an opportunity on the 2nd pair in Nashville?
He played with Josi on the top pairing when Josi had his 90+ point season 2 years ago. Its why Nashville fans have been scratching their heads

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not a Predator fan but his value seems hard to guage at this point.

I remember him being highly regarded last year and iirc, valued in the middle of the 1st round to slightly higher.

But his stock has fallen since then, ice time has dropped and never really took next step and solidified himself as a bonafide, impactful top4dman.

If i had to guess, maybe an early to middle 2nd round pick right now if NSH wanted to give him a chance somewhere else.
I think many teams would pay that price for serviceable RHD. Hardest position to fill. As a sens fan id happily give that up, which means most teams would.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The Preds don’t seem to like Fabbro much for some reason. So in a vacuum he’d normally be available… and fairly cheap to acquire.

However, at the present juncture it’s just not feasible unless you include some other valid NHL-calibre RD coming to the Preds somehow to replace him.

I don’t think the Preds necessarily expected to land ALL of Stamkos, Skjei, and Marchessault to the contracts they got, and that signing a UFA RD was on the July 1st shopping list. But now that hasn’t happened and the team only has Carrier and Schenn as the other natural RD, so Fabbro has a spot by default.

So To trade him, the team would need another RD to replace him. Offer that in the scenario, and all could be well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The Preds don’t seem to like Fabbro much for some reason. So in a vacuum he’d normally be available… and fairly cheap to acquire.

However, at the present juncture it’s just not feasible unless you include some other valid NHL-calibre RD coming to the Preds somehow to replace him.

I don’t think the Preds necessarily expected to land ALL of Stamkos, Skjei, and Marchessault to the contracts they got, and that signing a UFA RD was on the July 1st shopping list. But now that hasn’t happened and the team only has Carrier and Schenn as the other natural RD, so Fabbro has a spot by default.

So To trade him, the team would need another RD to replace him. Offer that in the scenario, and all could be well.
Not necessarily. They could move Josi to the right side, basically opening up a left spot. Now we don't know what the plan is until camp starts, but I heard that somewhere so I don't think its outside the realm of possibility.

That said Fabbro is good, relatively cheap depth, so unless the return is really good I think Trotz would rather have the depth. Whether he plays or is on the bench you are going to have a hard time finding someone just as good for that cap price anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Not necessarily. They could move Josi to the right side, basically opening up a left spot. Now we don't know what the plan is until camp starts, but I heard that somewhere so I don't think its outside the realm of possibility.
I take it for granted that Josi WILL be playing the right side paired with Skjei.

But even with that, I think the Preds need to have another RHD. Because Schenn is not an every-day defenseman in the NHL anymore, and Carrier is always an injury risk.

I guess if the offer was overpoweringly good enough, you could try to allay the fears associated with that depth issue by including Lauzon as a candidate to shift to the Right. But I don't see anybody making an offer THAT enticing for Fabbro.

Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad