Value of: Daniil Gushchin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
There are also some specific circumstances that went into why Gushchin didn't play more than 4 games last season.

Speculation was, the plan was to have him play the AHL All-Star game, then get called up. However, a week before that he got injured and was out for over a month.

Then when he finally came back, he started in the AHL, and went into a slump with 1 assist in 5 games, probably not all the way back from injury.

By the time he got back on track, the Sharks had only 1 recall slot left, which was used on Studnicka, who only had one year left on his contract and the Sharks aquired while Gushchin was injured at the deadline to fill in at the AHL, and the team needed to see if he was worth qualifying. (He is not.)

He finally got called up on an emergency call up the last couple games of the season, but there wasn't really another way to handle this. It was just a matter of unfortunate timing on a number of situations. If he has a strong camp, he will get his shot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who are the 8 better wingers the Sharks have that are better than him?
He needs to play on a scoring line. He does not have a defensive element to his game. Eklund, Zetterlund are both 100% better than him. Kostin, Kunin, Goodrow all offer a physical element to the game that Gushchin doesn’t.

Y’all also have tor realize sharks had 6 soft offense only wingers in the NHL last year. You can’t add another. As soon as he was about to get called up (around all star) he got hurt. He wasn’t recovered until the end of the season.

Reactions: wetcoast

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He needs to play on a scoring line. He does not have a defensive element to his game. Eklund, Zetterlund are both 100% better than him. Kostin, Kunin, Goodrow all offer a physical element to the game that Gushchin doesn’t.

Y’all also have tor realize sharks had 6 soft offense only wingers in the NHL last year. You can’t add another. As soon as he was about to get called up (around all star) he got hurt. He wasn’t recovered until the end of the season.

I know that a lot of traditionalists agree with your idea of line construction. I disagree with that, but even if I did... it wouldn't matter. The SJ Sharks are winning nothing this year. The team let in no more goals per 60 w/ Guschin on the ice last year than they did with typical 4th liners like Studnicka and Givani Smith. But even if they did allow more... so what. The benefit of finding out what a prospect has when you give him a chance, is worth more than 3 or 4 pts in the standings. You don't tank for Celebrini and then say "but really now it's important for us to give Jack Studnicka minutes!!!"

The Sharks should be in the "Find out who has a future for us" stage and not "How do we maximize our place in the standings for this year" stage. But I do hope you are right, because I like to see teams that think like that fail.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know that a lot of traditionalists agree with your idea of line construction. I disagree with that, but even if I did... it wouldn't matter. The SJ Sharks are winning nothing this year. The team let in no more goals per 60 w/ Guschin on the ice last year than they did with typical 4th liners like Studnicka and Givani Smith. But even if they did allow more... so what. The benefit of finding out what a prospect has when you give him a chance, is worth more than 3 or 4 pts in the standings. You don't tank for Celebrini and then say "but really now it's important for us to give Jack Studnicka minutes!!!"

The Sharks should be in the "Find out who has a future for us" stage and not "How do we maximize our place in the standings for this year" stage. But I do hope you are right, because I like to see teams that think like that fail.
That’s not what happened but okay. one studnicka is a C and Gushchin is a W. Studnicka was competing with Carpenter, Gushchin was competing with Duclair, Zetterlund, Eklund, Bordeleau, etc. Two when sharks actually called up Studnicka Gushchin was hurt.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That’s not what happened but okay. one studnicka is a C and Gushchin is a W. Studnicka was competing with Carpenter, Gushchin was competing with Duclair, Zetterlund, Eklund, Bordeleau, etc. Two when sharks actually called up Studnicka Gushchin was hurt.
That's not the point, but okay.

The point wasn't the position. The point was: SJ was totally fine with playing guys who performed badly defensively on their 4th line. They were fine with playing guys who performed badly defensively on their 4th line, even when they knew these guys really had no future with the team in the long run. But sure I do hope they continue to make roster decisions like the ones you want. Keep playing 4A players like Studnicka and Smith and Carpenter. Definitely that's the way to build a contender.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

The point wasn't the position. The point was: SJ was totally fine with playing guys who performed badly defensively on their 4th line. They were fine with playing guys who performed badly defensively on their 4th line, even when they knew these guys really had no future with the team in the long run. But sure I do hope they continue to make roster decisions like the ones you want. Keep playing 4A players like Studnicka and Smith and Carpenter. Definitely that's the way to build a contender.
AGAIN those are Cs that PK, except smith who only played 36 games. You’re just wrong about SJ.

I always love main board threads about Sharks where fans of other teams try to inform the stupid Shark fans about how their team should be built!

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I think the thread is getting off track. For whatever reason, Sharks management doesn't seem to be high on Gushchin. To answer the original query I would ask for a 3rd round pick for Gushschin if the Sharks were to move him in a trade.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

No, clearly you build a contender by overpromoting tiny defensively inept wingers. All the successful teams in the league are filled with Gushchins and Bordeleaus.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

So you specify all the reasons, why Sharks should trade Gushchin. It's exactly the thread is about.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So you specify all the reasons, why Sharks should trade Gushchin. It's exactly the thread is about.
You got a weird obsessions with Russian players.

Sharks aren’t trading him at this moment. If he earns a spot great but he hasn’t yet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They won't let him play even if he's head and shoulders above Celebrini and Smith at the start of the season.
That’s your opinion. If he earns a spot he will get a spot. I have my doubts he will earn a spot because he has zero defensive game and is not physical at all so if he’s not scoring he’s not doing anything.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

While I agree with this a player still has to earn it and not expect it but that being said I have no knowledge of the player acting this way but certain posters are and that's not how things work in the NHL.

But if he works hard and shows off his skillet in training camp I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot, after all it's the Sharks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Really dont want the sharks to trade him, but the org doesnt like him at all.

I would hope to get a second atleast
I’d be pretty surprised if he returns a 2nd. Look at Lane Pederson when the Sharks acquired him. He was coming off PPG in the AHL (2 seasons I believe) and was like 24 I believe and he only returned a 4th. Little bit older than Gushchin, no draft pedigree but still. I think the more likely scenario is a change of scenery trade or if we take back a cap dump we can get a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad