Value of: Daniil Gushchin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gushchin is in line to get some games in for the Sharks next season. Highly doubt he's even available.

How many is some? 5? 10? He won't agree to another 2-way contract for sure, and to earn a full NHL one he needs to play 40+ games at least. Probably more. I doubt Sharks have the place for him for such many games. There is risk they will lose him for nothing next season.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
How many is some? 5? 10? He won't agree to another 2-way contract for sure, and to earn a full NHL one he needs to play 40+ games at least. Probably more. I doubt Sharks have the place for him for such many games. There is risk they will lose him for nothing next season.
I had a similar thought. Another year of $80k salary, riding the bus, and living in a high-tax/rent state is only going to convince Daniil to consider options elsewhere.

Gushchin isn't one of Grier's "guys" and I'm not sure he'll feel obligated to "push" Daniil along. If Grier isn't going to make more of an effort to placate Gushchin and get him ice time on a bad team, then I think Kshahdoo is right. Grier risks losing Gushchin for nothing

Reactions: FlyguyOX

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The kid is NHL ready but it looks like Sharks don't have a place for him. I'm pretty sure a lot of KHL teams will try to get him next year if he's not an NHL regular yet. And I'm sure some NHL teams wouldn't mind to get him.
Lol, the Sharks have a place for anyone at literally every position, if they think Gushchin is ready he'll play

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You hit the nail on the head as he has to earn it.

I like him as a prospect but he has to earn it this training camp and if he doesn't sure Russia might be an option but that's why some teams can be wary of less than elite prospects here in NA that might become impatient.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You hit the nail on the head as he has to earn it.

I like him as a prospect but he has to earn it this training camp and if he doesn't sure Russia might be an option but that's why some teams can be wary of less than elite prospects here in NA that might become impatient.

He was PPG in AHL last season, so he has to be 1.5PPG in the A to earn the place?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was PPG in AHL last season, so he has to be 1.5PPG in the A to earn the place?
It doesn't work that way and to be frank I don't follow him closely enough but there are plenty of PPG guys that simply aren't good enough for the NHL so that's not the measure required.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He h
He has to play well in the NHL when given a chance, it's not that complicated. Sharks can promise him a roster spot out of the camp if the situation calls for it and go mutual termination route if he is back to the AHL.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Plenty of guys are high AHL scorers and never earn their place at the NHL level.

Gushchin is a good prospect and at his age you’d expect him to get several good opportunities to stick still but rightly or wrongly, you have to consider system fit (does he play the “Mike Grier way” is kind of a derogatory meme at this point) and also overall depth.

People clown on clubs like San Jose and Columbus for being bad but that doesn’t mean they lack depth. On the contrary, their years of stacking prospects and selling veteran stars into multiple pieces leaves them somewhat bloated with pro options for depth roles and then those guys start to run out of waiver options so it suddenly isn’t purely about picking the 20 most talented players.

Now, we can certainly argue if adding the likes of Goodrow and Dellandrea before the summer even begins at the expense of giving internal options a better shot is a good idea - but October is a long ways away so I don’t think I’d write Gushchin’s obit with SJ quite yet.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
4 points in 6 NHL games and noticeably played like he gave a shit. He has played well when given a chance

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
It doesn't work that way and to be frank I don't follow him closely enough but there are plenty of PPG guys that simply aren't good enough for the NHL so that's not the measure required.
PPG in the AHL at =<21? Logan Stankoven, Mavrik Bourque, and Gushchin last season. I'm not sure there were any the season before. Stankoven and Bourque were down because Dallas was good and even then Stank wasn't kept down. Those are his comparables at the moment, not Rocco Grimaldi and Adam Gaudette. Not yet at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makoshark

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Respectfully, if he can't crack that Sharks roster why would another team want him nvm give up assets for him?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just beating the drum but he has to earn that spot. He's not going to be able to be a 4th liner, so he has to earn a scoring role...which isn't easy.

If 4 points in 6 games (and being PPG in AHL) isn't enough for a rookie to get the spot then nothing is enough...

Respectfully, if he can't crack that Sharks roster why would another team want him nvm give up assets for him?

With this logic a lot of NHL superstars would have never become ones...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see how the Sharks don't have space for him, but if they don't then I don't see many other team that have more space, so he'd probably not be worth a whole lot.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's headed back to the KHL as soon as he gets cut from the Sharks in training camp.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
True but he played in CSKA Moscow's system before coming to North America.

Gushchin and the Sharks can just agree to a mutual termination. Happens all the time.
And 31 teams are just going to let a 22 year-old, a season out from a PPG AHL year, pass through waivers. Happens all the time?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
And 31 teams are just going to let a 22 year-old, a season out from a PPG AHL year, pass through waivers. Happens all the time?
For sure. If he's not good enough for the San Jose Sharks, he's certainly not good enough to play for any other NHL team.

Every org has a half dozen Gushchins. Tiny one dimensional wingers are not exactly valued around the league.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He's listed at 5'8", 165lbs, so he's certainly not going to make the jump to the NHL level of play based on physical dominance - if anything it will be a harder adjustment. Maybe SJ just wants him to get more pro experience at a lower level before bringing him up to the NHL for good. I think Ruslan Iskhakov of the NYI is a similar situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad