Votes: 35 30.4%
  • Hossa

Votes: 74 64.3%
  • Even

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Hossa's 2006-07 season is pretty comparable to Daniel Alfredsson's 2005-06 season.

Hossa finished 5th in goals, 8th in GPG, 6th in points and 8th in PPG.

For awards he was 10th in Hart voting and 25th in selke voting.

He also outproduced the next closest teammate by 20 points.

As for Alfredsson, he finished 4th in points, 3rd in PPG, 9th in goals and 10th in GPG.

Finished 4th in Hart and selke voting.

Alfredsson's best season beats Hossa in overall production, Hart and selke voting.

But Alfredsson had a 50 goal scorer in Heatley with the exact same production, as well as Spezza who was over an assist per game (the 2nd best after Thornton) and just below Alfredsson's PPG. They were the best line in the NHL for a couple yeats

Hossa at his best was the better goalscorer, and had much less support in comparison. I also do wonder if he would have placed higher in Hart and selke voting if he wasn't playing for the Atlanta Thrashers. Now, I didn't watch thrashers games but Hossa didn't start finishing top 10 in selke voting until he was 34, well past his offensive prime. So either he wasn't as defensively sound as he was in Chicago, or he was vastly overlooked.

In conclusion, Alfredsson beats Hossa in most statistical categories, but Hossa has a few points going for him that someone who watched him in his Atlanta days could probably argue in his favour.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I take peak as best 3 consecutive year period and it's close but I'll take Marchand 16-17 to 18-19 over any consecutive 3 year period of Hossa even if Hossa has the better career.

5th in points, 7th in goals (3rd in PPG) and Selke finishes of 12,10,16

Hossa was actually 4th in points from 03-04 to 06-07 but there is the lockout year and he was 9th in PPG and Marchand was also the better playoff performer in the 3 year peak.

I do wonder though if the lockout didn't occur that it might be even closer.

Man I can't read had it confused with the other poll.:eek3:

Took Hossa for this poll.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Alfredsson was the better player when they played together. He was often moved around to build up the offence of other lines, because he had that kind of impact. He made the guys on his line better.

Hossa played with Bonk who was the #1C on the team at the time.

Alfredsson could dominate the game like a center. Hossa was an elite winger but he didn’t have that element.

Last edited:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Alfredsson was the better player when they played together. He was often moved around to build up the offence of other lines, because he had that kind of impact. He made the guys on his line better.

Hossa played with Bonk who was the #1C on the team at the time.

Alfredsson could dominate the game like a center. Hossa was an elite winger but he didn’t have that element.

Maybe Hossa didn't do that when he was with Ottawa. But he sure had that element during his time as a Blackhawk. His game was near flawless for a long time, and he regularly took over games by himself.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One of my sister's childhood friend was also named Marion

As for the poll, I voted even

Seeing Hossa's name reminds me of that Muckler's decision to trade him for Dany freaking Heatley... starting a curse ala Montreal with the Patrick Roy trade

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of my sister's childhood friend was also named Marion

As for the poll, I voted even

Seeing Hossa's name reminds me of that Muckler's decision to trade him for Dany freaking Heatley... starting a curse ala Montreal with the Patrick Roy trade

They made it further in the playoffs with Heatley than they did with Hossa.

They had star 3 RWs and had to trade one with the cap coming in.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They made it further in the playoffs with Heatley than they did with Hossa.

They had star 3 RWs and had to trade one with the cap coming in.

Team argument though... who knows what Hossa could have done in Ottawa if he was never traded? It's true that Heatley had a deadly shot at his peak but he was far from being the complete player Hossa was.

IMO, guys like them, you keep them for all their careers if possible (Alfredsson, Hossa, Stone, etc)

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They’re the same tier of player but I always liked Alfredsson a bit more. I thought he was better able to fit with and bring up any linemates.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Team argument though... who knows what Hossa could have done in Ottawa if he was never traded? It's true that Heatley had a deadly shot at his peak but he was far from being the complete player Hossa was.

IMO, guys like them, you keep them for all their careers if possible (Alfredsson, Hossa, Stone, etc)

I think Heatley had more offensive potential as a play driver than he ended up being with the Pizza Line, but he didn’t really fulfill it after his injury in the car accident. It’s weird to trade Hossa instead of Havlat if they wanted to balance the lineup more though, especially since Havlat just ended up leaving after the first year with Heatley anyway.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s weird to trade Hossa instead of Havlat if they wanted to balance the lineup more though, especially since Havlat just ended up leaving after the first year with Heatley anyway.

A lot of it is financial.

They traded Hossa and DeVries (6M +2.2M = 8.2M out) for Heatley (4.5M in) to create some cap room for Redden and/or Chara.

The cap was only 39M at the time so they cleared almost 10% of the cap by swapping them out.

Ottawa was in such a cap crunch that Murray paid a premium to trade for 3rd pairing defenceman Tom Preissing into the every day lineup in 2006-2007 with his ~700K (? thanks cap friendly) salary.

Ottawa was ultimately screwed by the imposition of the cap in the short-term even if it obviously benefits the small market in the longer term.

Reactions: wetcoast

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
This is really close. Huge fan of both players. My heart says Alfie but brain says Hossa. Hossa was bigger, not necessarily more physical, but harder to contain and knock off the puck. Hossa might get the edge defensively but Alfie was the better team leader. I voted Alfie but IMO this couldn't be closer.

Reactions: wetcoast

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hossa. It's not a coincidence that he played in over 200 playoff games while playing for 5 different teams. Alfredsson could be up there, almost, but falls just a little bit short in most regards.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Hossa has a better resume, Alfie was the better all around player and is still valued as royalty Ottawa for his over contributions as a player. I still have my Sens Hossa jersey, was always a fan as he was a class player through and through (before Muckler mucked it up by trading Hossa for Heatley and pissing off Chara, literally gutting the greatest core in Sens history.

Having seen Alfredsson and Hossa play many times in Ottawa (and Hossa in the NHL), it’s Alfredsson. His loyalty to the Sens organization, which went from a broke owner in Bryden to that Asshole Melnyk, is the reason why he doesn’t have a Stanley Cup ring.

Hossa won playing key (but secondary) roles in his cup wins, he was chasing them too to contenders as a great, 2–way player. Not holding that against him. Alfie is of similar ilk, both great RWers but Alfie gets the edge when you include the intangibles (such as leadership on and off the ice).

Reactions: NyQuil

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Interesting discussion given that they spent 7 seasons together, both playing right wing and spending time on the power play and penalty kill.

In fact, at the tail end of the dead puck era in 03-04, Hossa had 36g and 82p in 81g, Alfredsson had 32g and 80p in 77g, and the third top scorer for Ottawa, another right winger who had power play and penalty killing duties - Marty Havlat - had 31g and 68p in 68g. Three 30g, point a game right wingers who played on both side of the puck.

If you asked me then who would have the highest peak of Ottawa’s right wingers, I likely would have answered Havlat, who then came out guns blazing in 05-06 with 9 goals in his first 16 games only to suffer a major injury and miss considerable time while Alfredsson and Hossa chugged along in the post dead puck era scoring boom. That said, he was able to return for the playoffs and register 7g and 13p in 10g before being shipped to Chicago.

As for who did peak the highest, Alfredsson’s 3 year peak saw 112g and 279p, while Hossa’s saw 118g and 274p. Both of those three year peaks were affected by the lockout. Alfredsson’s best playoff performance had him at 14g, 22p in 20g, while Hossa’s saw 12g and 26p in 20g.

It really is too close to call.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hossa. It's not a coincidence that he played in over 200 playoff games while playing for 5 different teams. Alfredsson could be up there, almost, but falls just a little bit short in most regards.

It’s because he chased playoff teams.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Signed with Detroit and Chicago as a free agent, Alfredsson with Detroit.

By the time Alfredsson signed with Detroit, they were done. He actually led the team in scoring in his final year in the NHL.

Meanwhile, Hossa refused to extend in Atlanta where he won zero playoff games.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And he has 205 despite spending some of his best years in Atlanta, only Corey Perry has more since Y2K. Chicago were emerging as a good team when he signed there, but they hadn't won the cup since 1961 and only made the playoffs once in six years, twice since the mid-1990s.

Reactions: Voight

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hossa. As a fan of the Nucks, I still fear Blackhawks Hossa...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00