Value of: Dan Hamhuis

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Surprised he hasn't. Good bottom pairing dman. Maybe demanding too much money or term
He seemed like quite the family orientated guy when Vancouver had him and tried to trade him. I can see him not wanting to uproot the kids for 1 year stints around the NHL and probably looking for 2-3 years deals even if it would be low cap hits and I am sure many teams don't want to give him more than a year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
wouldnt be surprise to see caps grab him or enstrom for bottom pair once wilson signs. caps gm says he is looking for a veteran defender for the third pair

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
He seemed like quite the family orientated guy when Vancouver had him and tried to trade him. I can see him not wanting to uproot the kids for 1 year stints around the NHL and probably looking for 2-3 years deals even if it would be low cap hits and I am sure many teams don't want to give him more than a year.

Yup he probably is trying to secure a 3 year deal somewhere out here in the West, likely his last contract. Guessing he's been offered 1 year deals so far, maybe a 2 year deal but from an eastern team.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I'm guessing it's a term or money thing, probably asking for too many years. He's better than his D partner from last season who signed in Minnesota. Pateryn has three people to thank that he's still in the NHL and Hamhuis is one of them.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Surprised he hasn't. Good bottom pairing dman. Maybe demanding too much money or term
At 35 he could very well be at a point where he retires. Maybe he is waiting to see if a spot opens up Dallas for whatever season and then just not play if not. If thats not why then Im not sure why he hasnt signed because he can still give you quality #4 minutes

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes one of a handful of older vets that can still give you a good year as a 5-6 D, tons of teams looking a vet bottom pair guy

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
He carried Greg Pateryn to a deal with term so I'm surprised he hasn't signed. Probably what others have said, looking for some term out west. Would love Toronto get him. Upgrade on Hainsey.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
He played very well for the majority of the season and had a rough ending to it. He's underrated though he was a legit top 4 dman for the first 41 games and then some
Sounds like he’s a better Hainsey right now.

Can play top-4, even top pairing, but it’ll take a toll on him over the 82+ games he’s hoping to play.

His fancystats definitely don’t point to a guy who’s “done”. But it’s likely he’s just being overused.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We keep saying we'd love him back in Nashville. After the top-4, the bottom end of our D is a little dubious with Irwin/Weber/Bitetto in the #5/6/7 slots. The team goes out of its way to minimize icetime and shelter the bottom pair. Individually, they're each ok as #6/7 guys. But it would be nice to have a more reliable #5 guy who might even take a little of the PK pressure off the top-4 too.

Plus the Preds are sitting on a mountain of unused cap space and would have ample room to keep Hamhuis around for more than 1 year. I'd be happy to see them sign him at 2x$2.5M. Hamhuis-Fabbro would be a nice bottom pairing for 2019-20.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Sounds like he’s a better Hainsey right now.

Can play top-4, even top pairing, but it’ll take a toll on him over the 82+ games he’s hoping to play.

His fancystats definitely don’t point to a guy who’s “done”. But it’s likely he’s just being overused.
That's not too high a bar...

But yeah, this league isn't good enough for Hamhuis to be done. He could be a great bottom pairing vet/mentor for a young D at this point. If you need offense, you might be better off looking elsewhere, though.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Still has a year or two left in the tank. I think he calls where he goes. Probably signs a team friendly deal to get whereever he wants.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
We keep saying we'd love him back in Nashville. After the top-4, the bottom end of our D is a little dubious with Irwin/Weber/Bitetto in the #5/6/7 slots. The team goes out of its way to minimize icetime and shelter the bottom pair. Individually, they're each ok as #6/7 guys. But it would be nice to have a more reliable #5 guy who might even take a little of the PK pressure off the top-4 too.

Plus the Preds are sitting on a mountain of unused cap space and would have ample room to keep Hamhuis around for more than 1 year. I'd be happy to see them sign him at 2x$2.5M. Hamhuis-Fabbro would be a nice bottom pairing for 2019-20.
Used to be my favorite Pred until he completely threw Nashville under the bus in interviews after he left. Nah, I’ll pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad