Dan Girardi: Part II (All Girardi Talk here pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
People who watch a lot of hockey simply raving about Dan Girardi tonight.

But it's good that we have some different....perspective from the arm chair experts over here at HF Boards.

Wonder how these theories would hold up in a room filled with people who actually make their living on NHL hockey.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
See with Girardi, as an individual, I like the guy. I really do. It's hard not to. But I hate his game.

I appreciate that puts his body on the line for 10 blocks. I hate that his deficiencies are largely the reason he has to make 10 blocks.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
The stats aren't being manipulated. Girardi gets more shots attempted against him than any other Rangers defenseman over the past several years and any other first pairing D-man over the last several years. That's a fact just like "the sky is blue" is a fact. You can choose to interpret those stats to fit your argument, but the facts are the facts.

Problem is, no team sport-centric stats are facts and falling on them as such is illogical. If a goalie has a stellar save pct on a great team, gets traded to a bad team and his save pct drops to bottom of the barrel, is he a good or bad goalie? It's a weak example, obviously, but it makes the point. There are incalculable variables that can skew any stat in a team game with so many dynamics and fluctuating circumstances.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
10 blocked shots in a non playoff game! Do you have any idea what it takes to withstand that kind of punishment for your team? Clearly no clue!

POS..Byfuglien shoots a 100 mph!

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
People who watch a lot of hockey simply raving about Dan Girardi tonight.

But it's good that we have some different....perspective from the arm chair experts over here at HF Boards.

Wonder how these theories would hold up in a room filled with people who actually make their living on NHL hockey.

I watch a lot of hockey, why doesn't my opinion count?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
10 blocked shots in a non playoff game! Do you have any idea what it takes to withstand that kind of punishment for your team? Clearly no clue!

Who cares? No one is questioning whether or not Girardi is a tough soB. Maybe if he didn't suck he wouldn't have to block so many shots. :laugh:

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
See with Girardi, as an individual, I like the guy. I really do. It's hard not to. But I hate his game.

I appreciate that puts his body on the line for 10 blocks. I hate that his deficiencies are largely the reason he has to make 10 blocks.

This is beyond ludicrous, Not only you take blocking shots away from him but you are blaming him for the shots being taken in the first place, what? How the hell is he responsible for those shots? Unreal.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

NOBODY questions his heart, soul, or what he's given to this team.

NOBODY questions that he's a tough mother ****er.

HOWEVER, this absolutely does not absolve him of being a below average defenseman. And why should it? A metric **** ton of players give it their all, but still sick.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is beyond ludicrous, Not only you take blocking shots away from him but you are blaming him for the shots being taken in the first place, what? How the hell is he responsible for those shots? Unreal.

Very simple. When you leave people open they take shots. Pretty basic stuff.

More shots are attempted against Girardi than anyone else. Again, that's a fact.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Did he just fluke his way to being one of the worst possession and shot suppression d-men in the league? Or is my fuzzy math stupid, and I should just watch the games?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Problem is, no team sport-centric stats are facts and falling on them as such is illogical. If a goalie has a stellar save pct on a great team, gets traded to a bad team and his save pct drops to bottom of the barrel, is he a good or bad goalie? It's a weak example, obviously, but it makes the point. There are incalculable variables that can skew any stat in a team game with so many dynamics and fluctuating circumstances.

So what are facts then? Mindless superlatives about how Girardi could kill a bear with his hands and end world hunger?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

Probably because he can't clear the zone.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
Very simple. When you leave people open they take shots. Pretty basic stuff.

More shots are attempted against Girardi than anyone else. Again, that's a fact.

We were taught to allow outside shots, now any shot is on the defender blocking the shot. We have crossed into the twilight zone.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Scoring chances with Girardi on the ice were 6-16 in favor of the Jets.

The "he keeps players to the outside" bit is a total myth.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We were taught to allow outside shots, now any shot is on the defender blocking the shot. We have crossed into the twilight zone.

Nobody is taught to allow outside shots. A system predicated on allowing shots would be a massive failure.

The team's great possession numbers last season prove that AV would not employ such a system.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

No we've been there a long time since Girardi is considered an elite first pair defensemen according to some.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Scoring chances with Girardi on the ice were 6-16 in favor of the Jets.

The "he keeps players to the outside" bit is a total myth.

Yeah OK..The forwards apparently have NOTHING to do with any of that right?? SMH...

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
So what are facts then? Mindless superlatives about how Girardi could kill a bear with his hands and end world hunger?

To me, there really aren't any when it comes to team sports. Each team is different, circumstances dynamically change by the second, and I leave the coaching to coaches. That **** is over my head. Well over my head. I am a top salesman who makes a **** ton of money in sales, who also happened to play hockey from age 4 onward. I know how to play hockey, I make a living in sales, but I don't know **** all about coaching hockey and I try to be humble and honest about that.

If AV needs advice on how to sell or make a mean marinara sauce, he can give me a call and maybe I'll be of some use. Otherwise, I'll leave the coaching to the guy who somehow, despite going against the grain of some couch critics, wins an awful lot of hockey games and has miraculously managed to drag two different teams to the SCF.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This fan base is absolutely stupid when it comes to Girardi.

AV wanted the Rangers to sign him long term...

AV >>>>> any of you.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Haha, oh man I love this part of the cycle of Girardi threads.

"AV know more than you! Therefore, wrong."

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad