Dan Cloutier 2.0

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
To me it seems like Skinner's ceiling isn't quite at the level of the top of the league but mentally he's very strong. As for Campbell, maybe the opposite is true. Can't get a hold on Bob Rovsky.

Reactions: Macheteops

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
To me it seems like Skinner's ceiling isn't quite at the level of the top of the league but mentally he's very strong. As for Campbell, maybe the opposite is true. Can't get a hold on Bob Rovsky.
I agree that he is mentally strong. The problem is I'm not even sure he's a mid-level starter. Too many times the first shot goes in. Or, he gets pulled multiple times in a postseason. I definitely think they need to improve on goaltending if possible.

Relying to get to the SCF on the back of two players (McDavid especially) is not a recipe for success.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree that he is mentally strong. The problem is I'm not even sure he's a mid-level starter. Too many times the first shot goes in. Or, he gets pulled multiple times in a postseason. I definitely think they need to improve on goaltending if possible.

Relying to get to the SCF on the back of two players (McDavid especially) is not a recipe for success.
Another factor here might be age though

In general, forwards hit their potential the fastest and goalies the slowest. At 25, Skinner isn't exactly young but he might not be at his peak either. Before this season he had only played 64 games at this level.

Having said that, I do think that getting Campbell was the right idea, just not the right player. Skinner should be a 1b who takes over as 1a, not thrust so fast as 1a. But maybe after these playoffs he might have found that extra level. These last two games might show it. I'd say he was much better in this series than he was in any previous series, of his whole career thus far

Reactions: geebster

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Another factor here might be age though

In general, forwards hit their potential the fastest and goalies the slowest. At 25, Skinner isn't exactly young but he might not be at his peak either. Before this season he had only played 64 games at this level.

Having said that, I do think that getting Campbell was the right idea, just not the right player. Skinner should be a 1b who takes over as 1a, not thrust so fast as 1a. But maybe after these playoffs he might have found that extra level. These last two games might show it. I'd say he was much better in this series than he was in any previous series, of his whole career thus far
He's been better this series. You would hope management looks at the big picture though.

Edmonton is a team in win now mode more than most. I don't think they have time to wait anymore.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
He's been better this series. You would hope management looks at the big picture though.

Edmonton is a team in win now mode more than most. I don't think they have time to wait anymore.
When you look at the big picture, I see a goalie that made zero progress, neither technically or athletically compared to last year, have a tendency to give weak goal at crucial times, still haven't figured out he doesn't have the ability to go outside of his crease to make play without consistently giving the puck away and get scored on empty net. Watching Mike Smith was truly a terrible influence.

He be, by far, the weakest goalie I have seen lift a cup in modern history.

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When you look at the big picture, I see a goalie that made zero progress, neither technically or athletically compared to last year, have a tendency to give weak goal at crucial times, still haven't figured out he doesn't have the ability to go outside of his crease to make play without consistently giving the puck away and get scored on empty net. Watching Mike Smith was truly a terrible influence.

He be, by far, the weakest goalie I have seen lift a cup in modern history.
Imo he's got to be as good as Niemi and Kuemper.

Reactions: OversKy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

He’s a 2.6M goalie that is heading into Game 6 of the Cup Finals outplaying every goalie he’s faced on his way there including Otter and now Bob. The Oilers can win a Cup with him. There’s no guarantee any available “upgrades” on Skinner would have done any better.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Stay away from 'ers

Skinn er
Clouti er
Oetting er

Conn er Hellybuck

(Ya, he spells it wrong and vowels are weird.)

Also- hey, sample size! Suddenly Bob is awful and Skinner can’t be stopped. It’s almost like the smaller number of playoff games artificially makes some guys look worse than they should.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He’s a 2.6M goalie that is heading into Game 6 of the Cup Finals outplaying every goalie he’s faced on his way there including Otter and now Bob. The Oilers can win a Cup with him. There’s no guarantee any available “upgrades” on Skinner would have done any better.
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will be the starter in October imo.

Reactions: Macheteops

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oilers have amazing defensive stats and repress storing chances against a great deal. Skinner's stats have been well below expectations.

There's no guarantee, no, but it's very likely. We're dealing with probabilities, guarantees don't matter.

But it's also true that if he manages to have a strong game 7, then it won't matter much what he did in the season previously.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers have amazing defensive stats and repress storing chances against a great deal. Skinner's stats have been well below expectations.

There's no guarantee, no, but it's very likely. We're dealing with probabilities, guarantees don't matter.

But it's also true that if he manages to have a strong game 7, then it won't matter much what he did in the season previously.
Well below what expectations?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Skinner's game when it matters is bonkers.
modern day Grant Fuhr
1719074920038.jpeg

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Just imagine the next GM being creative and bringing in a solid tandem. Oilers are getting better on paper next year

Hard to read by most of HF, but it's happening

• Haha
Reactions: Slapshot_11

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Skinner's playoffs have been pretty weird. He's had 11 games under 0.900 SV% - the Oilers offense bailed him out in 4 of those games. Which are frankly terrible stats, irrespective of who's at fault (goalie, defense, etc.), you don't expect a team to make it very far with those stats.

And 8 games at 0.933 SV% or above, which are playoff winning stats. 4 of those were the last 2 games of the Dallas series, and the elimination games against the Panthers.

Like it or not, he's risen at the right time. Must be a stressful time for Oilers fans though, since they probably hope it the 0.930 SV% goalie showing and not the 0.850 SV% one,

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Maybe they should get 10M goalie like Bob. Instant success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad