Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’d be more optimistic if our biggest and likely our most impactful acquisition this offseason wasn’t soon to be 35 years old. What Tanev has been the past 5 years is exactly what this team has needed. Whether he’ll be able to provide that going forward is a massive question mark. And he’s at a prime age for his play to drop like a rock, leaving the Leafs standing with their dicks in the wind with an albatross contract around their necks.

He can be bought out.
1725632719709.png

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think you're dreaming. I'd bet a lot right now that someone will pay him 12+ no matter how badly he bombs in the playoffs again.
All I said was that I'm not sure he can get more than $11. And again, if he can, good for him. I'd just rather it not be from the Leafs.

Reactions: HolyCrap

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
TO has devoted a great deal of the Cap to very few players which means that proper care must be given to how the rest of the team is put together. Nylander's and Matthews' contracts tells us that TO's management well continue to pay these players well.

TO is getting old and with each signing TO continues to get even older, TO's d has 4 of it's top 6 at or above 30. I would think that realizing how possibly crippling it is to give out so much $ to so few players, a more comprehensive team building plan would've been adopted. Why must a team with 115 points use draft capital to pick up marginal players, why wouldn't that team be using those resources to add to the team now and for into the future, the O'Rielly addition, might have made sense if he was also signed. Why was it thought that a 37 year old Marleau signing made sense, maybe for 1 year,, why give Kampf so much $s, Reaves too and term.

It seems most of the decisions since TO accumulated the core 4 hasn't been grounded and was actually counter productive.
Exactly. The hope is that the new management has figured it out. The fact that Tre said it was a priority to sign Matty and Willy, but hasn't said anything similar about Mitch and JT may be an indication that they have.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Friedman 32 thoughts.

Marner has taken the summer training very seriously. He's in Vale Co. at the BioSteel camp, on line with Crosby and MacKinnon. Marner looks dynamite with Crosby and MacKinnon... he's taken the summer very, very seriously.

Matthews wants to be the best, training unbelievable.. Demands the best of himself Whole market to show he's the best.

Agent Ferris believes in walking his guys to FA, unless you give him a reason not to. Everyone will regret it, if he leaves... you always bet on talent.

No formal offers, everybody knows what each other wants.

Likes OEL signing, likes Tanev in the short-term, Stolarz signing is good, Woll's health a concern.

Robertson, Friedman is a stubborn guy, understands stubborn people... he hasn't changed his mind... he doesn't understand that not being at a camp won't benefit him. Doesn't see how it benefits Nick Robertson to not be at A camp. Would ask him, to ask himself, how does it benefit you to not be at a camp, does not being there not hurt Nick Robertson the most. Leafs willing to draw a hardline here.

McCabe, exactly the player they need to keep, some extension discussions have happened.

The biggest question for the team is Woll's health. Can be number one if stays healthy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Friedman 32 thoughts.

Marner has taken the summer training very seriously. He's in Vale Co. at the BioSteel camp, on line with Crosby and MacKinnon. Marner looks dynamite with Crosby and MacKinnon... he's taken the summer very, very seriously.

Matthews wants to be the best, training unbelievable.. Demands the best of himself Whole market to show he's the best.

Agent Ferris believes in walking his guys to FA, unless you give him a reason not to. Everyone will regret it, if he leaves... you always bet on talent.

No formal offers, everybody knows what each other wants.

Likes OEL signing, likes Tanev in the short-term, Stolarz signing is good, Woll's health a concern.

Robertson, Friedman is a stubborn guy, understands stubborn people... he hasn't changed his mind... he doesn't understand that not being at a camp won't benefit him. Doesn't see how it benefits Nick Robertson to not be at A camp. Would ask him, to ask himself, how does it benefit you to not be at a camp, does not being there not hurt Nick Robertson the most. Leafs willing to draw a hardline here.

McCabe, exactly the player they need to keep, some extension discussions have happened.

The biggest question for the team is Woll's health. Can be number one if stays healthy.
No shock there, he and Mackinnon are pretty good friends. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a go to line at the 4 Nations Cup.
Those would be some fun scrimmages to watch.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Good to see Mitchy finally put in some work in the summer. Not surprising that he finally decided to do this when he needs a new contract. Won't be hearing about any of that in the next 7/8 summers whenever he gets the bag 💰

What happened to I dont need to improve on anything?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Good to see Mitchy finally put in some work in the summer. Not surprising that he finally decided to do this when he needs a new contract. Won't be hearing about any of that in the next 7/8 summers whenever he gets the bag What happened to I dont need to improve on anything?
Marner has never said that, and he always puts in work in the summer. That's how he became a top tier player in the world, and how he maintains being one.

Reactions: hobarth and Jojalu

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The days of Smurf City in Toronto is coming to an end.. No more Marchment for Denis Malgin deals, and drafting endless sub 6 foot players.

1725651160873.png

As of today thanks to our new GM and now the preferable playing style of coach Berube to play a BIG, Heavy, physical game we are going to start seeing a REAL hockey team and moving away from a figure skating team.

The Toronto Maple Leafs now officially boast the 3rd heaviest roster in the NHL​

The Maple Leafs' roster is now considered one of the largest in the league following the second offseason under GM Brad Treliving.​

After parting ways with Kyle Dubas last season, the Maple Leafs appointed Brad Treliving as their new GM. Treliving, known for preferring big and strong players from his tenure with the Calgary Flames, has left a significant mark on the Maple Leafs. Despite calls from fans for more changes, Treliving's influence is evident, as the Leafs are now one of the heaviest teams in the NHL.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
After parting ways with Kyle Dubas last season, the Maple Leafs appointed Brad Treliving as their new GM. Treliving, known for preferring big and strong players from his tenure with the Calgary Flames, has left a significant mark on the Maple Leafs. Despite calls from fans for more changes, Treliving's influence is evident, as the Leafs are now one of the heaviest teams in the NHL.

For the record, the average weight of the skaters brought in by Treliving and likely to be on our roster next year are 196 lbs. Below our supposed average.
But hey, we also brought in a 243 lb goalie to drag up that average, so mission accomplished! Hooray! We're 4th in something completely irrelevant!
I mean, the team is worse... but at least we got this!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Optimism:

TSN Overdrive Hour 2

Hayes, McLennan, and O'Neill really pumping Easton Cowan's tires on this show. They think he could be a real difference maker this season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
For the record, the average weight of the skaters brought in by Treliving and likely to be on our roster next year are 196 lbs. Below our supposed average.
But hey, we also brought in a 243 lb goalie to drag up that average, so mission accomplished! Hooray! We're 4th in something completely irrelevant!
I mean, the team is worse... but at least we got this!
I cannot imagine a more irrelevant stat than weight, particularly since it must be the most inaccurate stat in existence. Even leaving that aside, it's hilarious to see a stat for which the Stanley Cup champions are nearly dead last in the league, and then using that stat to pump up the home team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All I said was that I'm not sure he can get more than $11. And again, if he can, good for him. I'd just rather it not be from the Leafs.
And I'm saying that he can, and he will. I would also rather it not be the Leafs but I'm afraid we'll be disappointed on that score as well.

Reactions: rumman

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Optimism, what’s that??? 50 years + of being a Leaf, Expo and Notre Dame fan the thought is always crushed in the worst way, Christ Northern Illinois wtf lol. Quit caring about the NFL outside of gambling ,,,might be the way to across all sports.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Optimism, what’s that??? 50 years + of being a Leaf, Expo and Notre Dame fan the thought is always crushed in the worst way, Christ Northern Illinois wtf lol. Quit caring about the NFL outside of gambling ,,,might be the way to across all sports.
It's the hope that things will be/get better ;). As mad as I get at the Leafs, they're still my team and I always want them to do well. I was there in '67, and would love to see that experience again. Do I think they'll do it this year...that's a tough call to make, not because they lack talent, but because there are 31 teams trying to do the same, and odds and all that...but I hope they will. I'm trying to remain positively inclined towards this team because, well, reading all the negatives that some folks rely on makes me feel shitty. YVMV, cheers.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
It's the hope that things will be/get better ;). As mad as I get at the Leafs, they're still my team and I always want them to do well. I was there in '67, and would love to see that experience again. Do I think they'll do it this year...that's a tough call to make, not because they lack talent, but because there are 31 teams trying to do the same, and odds and all that...but I hope they will. I'm trying to remain positively inclined towards this team because, well, reading all the negatives that some folks rely on makes me feel shitty. YVMV, cheers.
Yeah I remember 67 too, I’ll be there again come October Pollyanna as always.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad