Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ohhhhkayyyyy, that time of year again when the anger and disappointment of our last playoff debacle has faded, and the inevitable hope attached to this love affair I have with the Toronto Maple Leafs starts bubbling to the surface. As regular as a visit to the bathroom after a 3 coffee breakfast. Help a guy out here, and tell me where I am getting ahead of myself, and where I am just plain wrong. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll once again believe that we've got a shot at this thing. And no, I'm not a masochist, I'm just a fan of Blue Swede, and an 'Ooga-chaka, ooga ooga' type of guy. IYKYK...

#1: Coaching. I'm not one to praise or blame a coach to any great extent. If they coach in the show they know their shit. For me, it's the players. However, while I don't blame Keefe as much as some, the change to Berube, imho, should help this team. He'll have free reign to coach as he wants, his pedigree allows him that, and the team knows that this is their last kick at the can. His no nonsense approach should mesh well with the desperation this group should be feeling heading into the season, which I believe should motivate the team's compete level to a new high for this group. I suspect this will be noticed most often when we play teams well below us in the standings during the season. I'll also suggest that this coaching group will be more willing to entertain changes towards young players, especially if something special develops.

#2: Young Players. I think there will be some surprises/hoped for development, from 2/3 of the following: Knies/Woll/Cowan/Grebyonkin(sp?)/Robertson/Timmins, and Liljegren. Minten and Quillan too. Of course not all will make it, but the infusion of this youth 'movement' should pay dividends if they are given the chances to play on a regular basis. Knies and Woll lead the pack, of course, with Woll hopefully being able to compete without injury. Knies has the chance to become a true power forward. I included Liljegren because he still hasn't topped 200 games in the NHL, and under a new coach I think he has the tools to be a competent 2nd pairing Dman. As injury prone as he has been, Timmins still intrigues me due to his skill set. Which leaves Robertson, Cowan, Greb, Minten and Quillan to perhaps force the Leafs into making some interesting decisions. I don't want to overload on youth, but I feel strongly that youth helps a team's 'energy'.

#3: Goaltending. As Bob Cole used to say, 'Ohhh Baby'. A disaster or a delight? If he can stay healthy, I think Woll is the real deal. In Stolarz we've a hungry young talent who has put up some consistently good numbers over the past few years. Combined...fingers crossed, but we could be looking at the best tandem we've seen in ages. Does Murray clear waivers, can Hildeby have what it takes? I don't know, but optimism baby, optimism. Damn.

#4: Defense. During the Matthews era we've always been a 2nd pairing Dman short of being good. With the addition of Tanev and OEL, plus my hoped for development of Liljegren, Rielly being Rielly, and McCabe rounding out the group, I can see us icing two pairings that can compete against most. Maybe not the best of the best, but not a group that is missing the required talent. And there is some depth to this corp. In Hakanpaa, Benoit, Timmins and others on the Marlies, I don't think we'll need to go shopping come the TDL, allowing us to concentrate on a more pressing need up front if required.

#5: Matthews with the 'C'. Regardless of how good he has been before, I think we're going to see a new level from our new captain. My hope is that he'll demand of all greater accountability to the team. I think he'll lead by example, I hope he get in someone's face when they mail it in. This should be his best year in the show.

#6: Splitting up the 4. In my opinion, the weakest of my reasons for optimism because 'who the f*ck am I' to roll out a team's 4 lines? It requires Berube to do what Keefe refused to do, and perhaps Keefe was right, but I truly believe William Nylander can play center in the NHL, and play well. Play Willy with Mitch and Knies and I think you've one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL, period...if you can stay the course. Good players play well with other good players, they figure it out. Yes, Willy will have to double down on his defensive responsibilities, but he is capable of doing so. Demand of him (I'm looking at you Berube, and AM!) what he is capable of bringing to the team. Which of course leads us to JT becoming our 3C. Play him with McMann, Robertson, Cowan, Greb., Jarnkrok...I can live with that type of 3rd line. If I had my drothers: Robertson/Matthews/Domi, followed by Knies/Nylander/Marner, with McMann/Tavares/Cowan in front of Dewar-Holmberg/Kamph/Jarnkrok-Reaves.

Conclusion: I'm an idiot, waiting to have my hopes dashed once again. But, there are still things about this team I really like, and hope springs eternal in my head. I'm also a bit tired of the negativity that dominates this board. I love the game, I love my Leafs, and I'd like to see some happiness around here again. Sorry for the length of all this, folks. Have yourselves a great day. Cheers.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I am looking forward to the upcoming season for sure. Though there was never any anger on my part, but there was some disappointment, but on May 5 I was already looking forward to the rest of the playoffs, the World's, Memorial Cup draft free agency etc. Now it is closer to the rookie tournament, and training camp!

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
We all want to believe things will be different this time.

That these guys will do something they've never done before. Find a new gear and get the job done. Because right now it's looking like another wasted season.

I've been a fan of this team my whole life.

Followed them closely for years. Even taking the time to write these stupid comments of mine every day. Not just for my own enjoyment or those foolish enough to read anything I have written either.

Because I care about the team.

This franchise is not an easy one of which to be proud. For the most part that includes the current iteration. In fact this is the most down I've been on the team in the Matthews era yet.

I'd like to be more optimistic but they haven't given me a reason.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are a couple of players taking up a lot of cap space that will have to do something they’ve never done in their careers, if they want to win 2 rounds. The Atlantic and the East will never be weaker than it will be this year.

Reactions: rumman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nope, don’t see it. This will be another 1st round loss. Or maybe eke out a series victory then get dusted in the 2nd round quite easily. They just don’t have “it”. There’s 8 year of sample size to tell us that. Also, can't get excited about hockey season and summer weather ending. Winter sucks big time. Other than Christmas, not much to look forward to. Hockey season is a slog. Regular season is extremely boring.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Pretty apathetic, actually. I'll still get excited about the season starting, because I love hockey, and I love the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I don't love this iteration of the team though and I am definitely not optimistic. Not pessimistic either. Just apathetic.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nope, don’t see it. This will be another 1st round loss. Or maybe eke out a series victory then get dusted in the 2nd round quite easily. They just don’t have “it”. There’s 8 year of sample size to tell us that. Also, can't get excited about hockey season and summer weather ending. Winter sucks big time. Other than Christmas, not much to look forward to. Hockey season is a slog. Regular season is extremely boring.
Being competitive in the 2nd round isn’t too much to ask for this group in the coming years. With the 4 nations in Feb and the Worlds in Sweden, Nylander may not be overly interested in the playoffs this year, but next year that may be realistic if Cowan and Woll are what we think they are.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I have had all optimism beat out of me. I’m interested in the team still, but I can no longer put heavy emotions in them blindly.

At this point for me the regular season is about as exciting as pre-season.
I think this here is a lot of fans. I know this is me. I’ll keep an eye on the leafs but not emotionally as invested during the season.

Once one loses optimism… it’s time to realize you’re not a fan.

Go Leafs
That’s not true at all

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think this here is a lot of fans. I know this is me. I’ll keep an eye on the leafs but not emotionally as invested during the season.

That’s not true at all
They’ve never been considered a contender so there’s never really been optimism. Once they hired Dubas any hope was gone, and if anything, they’ve exceeded expectation despite him.

I think in the next four years, they’ll win two rounds at least twice, which would be phenomenal.

Reactions: rumman

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Once one loses optimism… it’s time to realize you’re not a fan.

Go Leafs
I think that it's the exact opposite. Leaf fans haven't had a reason to be optimistic except in small flashes. Yet here we are. We come back every year. It's what sets us appart from other fans.

The Leafs as your team is like having a drug addict brother. You will always love him, but never totally trust him.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm optimistic that the new coach will be the one to install some accountability in the room. I'm optimistic that the defensive signings and the kids will be quality additions. I'm optimistic that having Matthews as a C is a more natural leadership structure for the team, which combined with coaching should help with overall leadership (which I consider our biggest weakness the past few years).

I dread the sideshow a Marner contract will be, I dread our goaltending if Woll doesn't stand on his head, I dread the quality of our forward depth, I dread that the new coach won't be the quick-fix to the team that we need.

Eh, there's some storylines that I'm mildly interested in there, but I don't think I'm particularly optimistic. Core is the same and while it's nice to rearrange the deck chairs and even rearrange the bridge crew with a new first officer, it's the same ship. I'm still not planning to buy a streaming service this year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Should be the year they win the division, and maybe the conference. I don't think Boston's acquisitions will change much for them, and Florida and Tampa both got worse in the off-season. Leafs will have a great regular season and Berube will win coach of the year.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Should be the year they win the division, and maybe the conference. I don't think Boston's acquisitions will change much for them, and Florida and Tampa both got worse in the off-season. Leafs will have a great regular season and Berube will win coach of the year.
I agree, this year could be the best and maybe only opportunity they have to win the Atlantic.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Ohhhhkayyyyy, that time of year again when the anger and disappointment of our last playoff debacle has faded, and the inevitable hope attached to this love affair I have with the Toronto Maple Leafs starts bubbling to the surface. As regular as a visit to the bathroom after a 3 coffee breakfast. Help a guy out here, and tell me where I am getting ahead of myself, and where I am just plain wrong. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll once again believe that we've got a shot at this thing. And no, I'm not a masochist, I'm just a fan of Blue Swede, and an 'Ooga-chaka, ooga ooga' type of guy. IYKYK...

#1: Coaching. I'm not one to praise or blame a coach to any great extent. If they coach in the show they know their shit. For me, it's the players. However, while I don't blame Keefe as much as some, the change to Berube, imho, should help this team. He'll have free reign to coach as he wants, his pedigree allows him that, and the team knows that this is their last kick at the can. His no nonsense approach should mesh well with the desperation this group should be feeling heading into the season, which I believe should motivate the team's compete level to a new high for this group. I suspect this will be noticed most often when we play teams well below us in the standings during the season. I'll also suggest that this coaching group will be more willing to entertain changes towards young players, especially if something special develops.

#2: Young Players. I think there will be some surprises/hoped for development, from 2/3 of the following: Knies/Woll/Cowan/Grebyonkin(sp?)/Robertson/Timmins, and Liljegren. Minten and Quillan too. Of course not all will make it, but the infusion of this youth 'movement' should pay dividends if they are given the chances to play on a regular basis. Knies and Woll lead the pack, of course, with Woll hopefully being able to compete without injury. Knies has the chance to become a true power forward. I included Liljegren because he still hasn't topped 200 games in the NHL, and under a new coach I think he has the tools to be a competent 2nd pairing Dman. As injury prone as he has been, Timmins still intrigues me due to his skill set. Which leaves Robertson, Cowan, Greb, Minten and Quillan to perhaps force the Leafs into making some interesting decisions. I don't want to overload on youth, but I feel strongly that youth helps a team's 'energy'.

#3: Goaltending. As Bob Cole used to say, 'Ohhh Baby'. A disaster or a delight? If he can stay healthy, I think Woll is the real deal. In Stolarz we've a hungry young talent who has put up some consistently good numbers over the past few years. Combined...fingers crossed, but we could be looking at the best tandem we've seen in ages. Does Murray clear waivers, can Hildeby have what it takes? I don't know, but optimism baby, optimism. Damn.

#4: Defense. During the Matthews era we've always been a 2nd pairing Dman short of being good. With the addition of Tanev and OEL, plus my hoped for development of Liljegren, Rielly being Rielly, and McCabe rounding out the group, I can see us icing two pairings that can compete against most. Maybe not the best of the best, but not a group that is missing the required talent. And there is some depth to this corp. In Hakanpaa, Benoit, Timmins and others on the Marlies, I don't think we'll need to go shopping come the TDL, allowing us to concentrate on a more pressing need up front if required.

#5: Matthews with the 'C'. Regardless of how good he has been before, I think we're going to see a new level from our new captain. My hope is that he'll demand of all greater accountability to the team. I think he'll lead by example, I hope he get in someone's face when they mail it in. This should be his best year in the show.

#6: Splitting up the 4. In my opinion, the weakest of my reasons for optimism because 'who the f*ck am I' to roll out a team's 4 lines? It requires Berube to do what Keefe refused to do, and perhaps Keefe was right, but I truly believe William Nylander can play center in the NHL, and play well. Play Willy with Mitch and Knies and I think you've one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL, period...if you can stay the course. Good players play well with other good players, they figure it out. Yes, Willy will have to double down on his defensive responsibilities, but he is capable of doing so. Demand of him (I'm looking at you Berube, and AM!) what he is capable of bringing to the team. Which of course leads us to JT becoming our 3C. Play him with McMann, Robertson, Cowan, Greb., Jarnkrok...I can live with that type of 3rd line. If I had my drothers: Robertson/Matthews/Domi, followed by Knies/Nylander/Marner, with McMann/Tavares/Cowan in front of Dewar-Holmberg/Kamph/Jarnkrok-Reaves.

Conclusion: I'm an idiot, waiting to have my hopes dashed once again. But, there are still things about this team I really like, and hope springs eternal in my head. I'm also a bit tired of the negativity that dominates this board. I love the game, I love my Leafs, and I'd like to see some happiness around here again. Sorry for the length of all this, folks. Have yourselves a great day. Cheers.

I can totally see Mitch hitting 100 points and going beast mode in the playoffs !

Reactions: Doc300c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad