News Article: Daly on transparency of the draft lottery

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
the reason the firm's there is the image, if the nhl cared to fix it (they almost certainly don't), they'd do so and probably even tell them so

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
the reason the firm's there is the image, if the nhl cared to fix it (they almost certainly don't), they'd do so and probably even tell them so

Depends who you mean by "The NHL."

Assuming the auditing firm is hired by the NHL, as in a corporation of owners, then they have a fiduciary duty to every NHL team. If any NHL team wasn't in on the fix and the auditing firm knew about the fix and didn't tell them... not good. Like fraud, and jail time, and the bankruptcy of the firm

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Depends who you mean by "The NHL."

Assuming the auditing firm is hired by the NHL, as in a corporation of owners, then they have a fiduciary duty to every NHL team. If any NHL team wasn't in on the fix and the auditing firm knew about the fix and didn't tell them... not good. Like fraud, and jail time, and the bankruptcy of the firm

i suppose it's more correct to say dominant league interests

The Washer

Feb 7, 2011

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It can only begin to be a conflict of interest if they're simultaneously engaged to provide both services.

My mistake if I'm wrong. I thought representatives from teams were there based on what others have said.

I believe the article said they are invited to attend, but don't bother to show up anymore.

So if a team was truly worried about the integrity of the lottery, they are more than welcome to attend.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No one said that, actually. Daly made a point of saying they "don't bother" to come.

Again, it's not that I believe this is rigged. It's that the NHL projects the shadiest possible front, to the point where I almost want to doubt them against my better judgment.

So it's shady that the teams trust that the process is fair?

Pegula and Murray have boatloads more on the line with these lottery balls than you or I do. If they are so sure the process is fair, then why would I jump to crackpot theories about the NHL picking the winner?

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I posted this on the main page a week or so ago...

That filmed presentation didn't make good TV, but the drawing still could...

1 - Post a chart with the number combinations assigned to each team so that all fans can view it.
2 - Draft lottery show opens with 20 mins of usual talk plus explanation of lottery process and odds.
3 - Broadcast that same video with a little more polish to it, and separate each number drawn by a few minutes.
4 - During the drawing, on the left side of the screen show all 14 teams.
5 - With each number drawn, show how each teams' winning % has changed.
6 - Gray out teams as balls 1-3 eliminate them.
7 - Leave the teams that are still alive high lighted.
8 - Ball four finally produces lottery winner after 5-6 minutes of pure drama.

That kind of presentation would be mind-numbing dope for 98% of hockey fans.

I would watch that. That sounds like a blast.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I posted this on the main page a week or so ago...

That filmed presentation didn't make good TV, but the drawing still could...

1 - Post a chart with the number combinations assigned to each team so that all fans can view it.
2 - Draft lottery show opens with 20 mins of usual talk plus explanation of lottery process and odds.
3 - Broadcast that same video with a little more polish to it, and separate each number drawn by a few minutes.
4 - During the drawing, on the left side of the screen show all 14 teams.
5 - With each number drawn, show how each teams' winning % has changed.
6 - Gray out teams as balls 1-3 eliminate them.
7 - Leave the teams that are still alive high lighted.
8 - Ball four finally produces lottery winner after 5-6 minutes of pure drama.

That kind of presentation would be mind-numbing dope for 98% of hockey fans.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vi...SRPtargetId:36306534,VSRPcmpt:primary,VSRPnm:

If this is really Bill, we should flood him with this idea!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/04/2015_nhl_draft_lottery_here_is_date_time_televisio.html

How it works:
• Balls numbered 1-to-14 will be put into a lottery machine.

• Machine selects four balls, which will provide a four-digit number combination, which will be matched to a chart that has all possible scenarios for the 14 participants.

• Four-digit number combinations for each team will be posted on NHL.com on Friday, April 17. The teams with the best odds will have more combinations. Buffalo will get 200 number combinations, followed by 135 for Arizona, 115 for Edmonton, 95 for Toronto, 85 for Carolina, 75 for the Devils, 65 for the Flyers, 60 for Columbus, 50 for San Jose, 35 for Colorado, 30 for Florida, 25 for Dallas, 20 for Los Angeles and 10 for Boston.

So, the people that wanted the number combinations released to the public before the lottery get their wish.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This can't be correct. There's 2002 ways to pick 4 numbers out of 14 (assuming order doesn't matter). Which is close, but results in two number combinations unaccounted for. If order does matter then there's 24024 possible permutations using that method....meaning our 200 entries would leave us with less than 1% chance.

EDIT: It's not even close. According to the percentages and the number of winning entries each team gets, there needs to be 1000 possible combinations (or permutations, depending if they make order matter). The only way I can think of to get there is drawing a ball from 0 through 9 3 times (to essentially create a three digit number from 000 to 999).

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It's not one number. It's read as 9-11-13-14, which would be different from 13-14-11-9.
I don't think it is. As I mentioned above that would result in way too many possible permutations for the amount of permutations we get to be a 20% chance. I think he's got something wrong, because even the 2002 combinations from not taking into account order only leaves us with a 10% chance to win.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Now I'm nervous. So much defending going on. I would watch the entire process. I'm sure everyone would.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think it is. As I mentioned above that would result in way too many possible permutations for the amount of permutations we get to be a 20% chance. I think he's got something wrong, because even the 2002 combinations from not taking into account order only leaves us with a 10% chance to win.

No you are right. Order doesn't matter. So any utterance of 9, 11, 13, 14 (example given) would be that team's.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
No you are right. Order doesn't matter. So any utterance of 9, 11, 13, 14 (example given) would be that team's.
It still doesn't work. 14C4 (aka how to pick 4 numbers out of a group of 14 where order doesn't matter) is 2002. If we get 200 combinations, then our chances to win are just less than 10%.

That article can't be correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad