Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He isn't wrong, I firmly believed that the team was going to turn it around no matter what happened with the coach.
Its BS. He's just trying to get an NHL job. "look, the slow start had nothing to do with me, I swear the team was gonna turn the corner" Kind of disrespecful to the ACE job KK and Coffey have done. Manson was here in body only. He had just lost his wife, she passed away and he was of course devastated. Hard to have this kind of job when you're going through that. Woody figured he was a legend and maybe stopped putting in the hard work. Team wasn't prepared.

Woody stops just short of saying it was him that prepared the team to be 90% SC ready (I'm tongue in cheek with this)

This part is funny:

“I’ve thrown myself into my personal development,” Woodcroft said. “So, what does that look like? For me, it starts with family. Having this time has allowed me to be fully present for my wife and kids and take full advantage of the everyday moments that, during the course of a regular NHL season and playoff run, you’re not there anymore"

Translation: your unemployed. Only a Dale Carnegie type would reframe such failure as personal growth and development. Well, keep growing.

Lots of Woodcroft speak in the article, I don't miss any of it.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
several posters here have been under the impression that Drai is already making 14M right now. Maybe you haven't seen some of those posts.
I’ve seen the posts. I’m sure you know that Cup and I are not in that group of posters.
Brown contract was entirely different, a contract that was one year with option as I recall wherein the player was paid total of 4M with most of it deferred to this season
I’m well aware. But if you look at my post I didn’t assert that the contracts were similar in nature at all. I suggested that the ‘principle’ was similar. Money is already committed to next year’s cap. In the case of Brown it was $3 million and change. For Draisaitl it will be $5 million and change (the difference between what he makes this year and what he will make next year).

My only point was that the money Brown cost the team this year (because of his bonus carrying over) was certainly one of the reasons the team lost valuable players (McLeod, Broberg, Holloway) in the recent offseason. Similarly, the team must factor in Draisaitl’s raise when planning their budget for next year. Which players are they not going to be able to retain because Draisaitl will be making an extra $5 next season? So in spite of the fact that Draisaitl isn’t making $14 this season, the contract is already impacting the team. See?
Do you think the Oilers shouldn't have signed the Drai contract?
It’s a tough question. On the one hand I feel like he deserves the contract for his contributions to date. Being underpaid (compared to peers) for sure. On the other hand, I share your sentiment that we’ve probably already seen peak Draisaitl. You’ve gone on and on about Arvidsson and his injury problems and that guy is only making $4 (I believe). Draisaitl is a tough guy and he’s played through a lot of pain and punishment. But the limit comes for everyone one day. I doubt that he delivers value on this upcoming deal. I probably would have explored the trade market, but any haul that the team may have received for Draisaitl would have been cancelled out if McDavid refused to resign without his wingman. I don’t really think the Oilers had a choice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’ve seen the posts. I’m sure you know that Cup and I are not in that group of posters.

I’m well aware. But if you look at my post I didn’t assert that the contracts were similar in nature at all. I suggested that the ‘principle’ was similar. Money is already committed to next year’s cap. In the case of Brown it was $3 million and change. For Draisaitl it will be $5 million and change (the difference between what he makes this year and what he will make next year).

My only point was that the money Brown cost the team this year (because of his bonus carrying over) was certainly one of the reasons the team lost valuable players (McLeod, Broberg, Holloway) in the recent offseason. Similarly, the team must factor in Draisaitl’s raise when planning their budget for next year. Which players are they not going to be able to retain because Draisaitl will be making an extra $5 next season? So in spite of the fact that Draisaitl isn’t making $14 this season, the contract is already impacting the team. See?

It’s a tough question. On the one hand I feel like he deserves the contract for his contributions to date. Being underpaid (compared to peers) for sure. On the other hand, I share your sentiment that we’ve probably already seen peak Draisaitl. You’ve gone on and on about Arvidsson and his injury problems and that guy is only making $4 (I believe). Draisaitl is a tough guy and he’s played through a lot of pain and punishment. But the limit comes for everyone one day. I doubt that he delivers value on this upcoming deal. I probably would have explored the trade market, but any haul that the team may have received for Draisaitl would have been cancelled out if McDavid refused to resign without his wingman. I don’t really think the Oilers had a choice.
I understood your post, Thanks for the reply.

Agreed that the Brown deferred amount cost the team this year. Agreed on Drai. Its a value served contract, but also it is just purely his worth on the Market. He probably struggles to deliver value on it unless cap changes appreciably. Worth nothing that when he signed the 8.5M people figured that was way to much but halfway into that contract 40 players were getting more.

As you mention the team just could not let Drai walk. The risk (appreciable) of McD then walking and all things considered I prefer continuance much more than the pain that was seeing Gretz and Mess go. At least we still get to see these stars continuing as Oilers, and I think McD will resign here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
nah, the guy was an egomaniac fraud...Dallas Eakins-lite

did some good things when he first got in here in 2022 but lost the plot by training camp
"I felt like we were 90% there" Nobody else felt that. He's a fraud. Even when he was getting owned as a coach he's taking credit for.....something....

Theres an old saying of being kind to people on the way up because you'll meet them again on your way down. Sure Woody didn't reflect on any burning bridges when he was petulantly posing waiting for the Sutter handshake. That it was arrogant stance said something about Woody thinking its about him. A lot of his statements too. He's still the greatest coach in his mind, sitting at home watching KIds movies and making popcorn. Eakins was textbook like that. The smartest coach between his own ears.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Makes zero sense to pull Stetcher out. Looks like Dermott is this coach’s Toby Peterson. As many good decisions the coaching staff made last year, they can’t seem to get out of their own way this year.
Ya makes little sense. Both are below avg NHLrs but they are that. In a short window they have greater potential to be positive players in the lineup than Emberson. Emberson might have higher potential ceiling but that matters little right now. Dermott has been in tough so far so if the kid gets a spot, TD should sit over Stecher.

Reactions: foshizzle

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yea 1 point in 18 games just killing it

The Oilers have played 18 games? The 4th line is there to score?

Moaning about the 4th line at this point of the season considering all that has gone on is laughably dumb. 4th lines are supposed to suppress goals, push the puck in the right direction, and win shifts 5v5. That's what this line has been doing the whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad