Proposal: Dallas - Tampa - New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Tampa gives up the best young goalie in the league just to get rid of Callahan and somehow they aren't the team getting screwed the most here.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
NJ doesn't just say no to this.

NJ builds the largest rocket engine possible. It is big enough to move the planet. NJ fires up the rocket and aims towards the sun. The Earth slowly starts getting hotter and hotter. And as the water evaporates and people begin to melt, NJ screams, as loudly as possible, that it no longer wants to live with the possibility that someone, ANYONE, would remember this proposal.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a fan of any of the teams involved, but I actually think this is a pretty creative 3 way that helps all the teams involved (though it does favour the Stars the most).

For Tampa, it frees up the money they need to sign Kucherov, as well as some money for TJ and Palat the following year. The Callahan deal is not pretty, so yes, a high end young goalie should be the cost (not to mention they get a late 1st back).

For Dallas, they get a goalie who is definitely top 10 in the league, possibly knocking on the door of the top 5. They probably should be kicking in a little more to the Devils (1st or good prospect).

For the Devils, while I'm sure they have no interest in moving Schneider, they get a talented offensive C who becomes their #1C (sliding Henrique to 2 and Zajac to 3 where they belong), get an extremely overpaid 3RW (but very good for that role and would look excellent beside Zajac), a temporary stop gap in Niemi to split time with Vasi - a guy with a strong chance to reach Schneider's caliber of play.

As I said, Stars need to kick more in the Devils way (maybe rights to Nichushkin +), but I think it's an interesting base for a deal.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yup Vasilevskiy would be the last one Yzerman would move, Bishop would totally get moved ahead of Vasy.

If true, I'd have to think the Stars would be all over it. Maybe Niemi 50% retained + 1st + rights to Nichushkin? Maybe add in a second pick conditional on BB re-signing?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If true, I'd have to think the Stars would be all over it. Maybe Niemi 50% retained + 1st + rights to Nichushkin? Maybe add in a second pick conditional on BB re-signing?

So basically a 1st, a nonvalue (Nuke's rights), and a negative value (Niemi) for a top two goalie in the league? *click* *dial tone*

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Not a fan of any of the teams involved, but I actually think this is a pretty creative 3 way that helps all the teams involved (though it does favour the Stars the most).

For Tampa, it frees up the money they need to sign Kucherov, as well as some money for TJ and Palat the following year. The Callahan deal is not pretty, so yes, a high end young goalie should be the cost (not to mention they get a late 1st back).

For Dallas, they get a goalie who is definitely top 10 in the league, possibly knocking on the door of the top 5. They probably should be kicking in a little more to the Devils (1st or good prospect).

For the Devils, while I'm sure they have no interest in moving Schneider, they get a talented offensive C who becomes their #1C (sliding Henrique to 2 and Zajac to 3 where they belong), get an extremely overpaid 3RW (but very good for that role and would look excellent beside Zajac), a temporary stop gap in Niemi to split time with Vasi - a guy with a strong chance to reach Schneider's caliber of play.

As I said, Stars need to kick more in the Devils way (maybe rights to Nichushkin +), but I think it's an interesting base for a deal.

It wouldn't be awful for Tampa if not for Bishop's injury history. If we could rely on him staying healthy every postseason then we'd resign him and this deal might actually be palatable. We'd want something more tangible than pick coming our way but the bones of a workable deal would be there. But as things stand we can't afford to give Bishop a huge contract and risk him going down in the playoffs again without our elite-potential young goalie to back him up. So we'll keep him for one last Cup run before turning things over to Vasy, and that being the case we obviously can't make this deal.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

I agree this is a creative idea and disagree with some of my Tampa brethren on the Bishop v. Vasi argument. Bishop is not injury prone… just a couple of freak playoff injuries. While Vasi was great in the ECF, the loss of Bishop was huge. His puck moving skills and rebound control are much better than Vasi and could have made the difference in that series. Bishop is essentially a 3rd Dman when it comes to break outs. Bishop purportedly wanted $7 mil from Calgary so we could assume he will want less to stay in Tampa. He will be a top 5 goalie for at least 5 more years. I’m a Callahan fan but that contract will cost Tampa a forward they really need to keep. I’d rather that the return for Tampa would be a near ready prospect than a 1st round pick, but this is not a terrible deal for Tampa, if, like me, you think Bishop is Tampa’s MVP. Bishop is what we hope Vasi will turn into. I would stay with Bishop and move Vasi for the right return, because I remember well the days before Bishop.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I agree this is a creative idea and disagree with some of my Tampa brethren on the Bishop v. Vasi argument. Bishop is not injury prone… just a couple of freak playoff injuries. While Vasi was great in the ECF, the loss of Bishop was huge. His puck moving skills and rebound control are much better than Vasi and could have made the difference in that series. Bishop is essentially a 3rd Dman when it comes to break outs. Bishop purportedly wanted $7 mil from Calgary so we could assume he will want less to stay in Tampa. He will be a top 5 goalie for at least 5 more years. I’m a Callahan fan but that contract will cost Tampa a forward they really need to keep. I’d rather that the return for Tampa would be a near ready prospect than a 1st round pick, but this is not a terrible deal for Tampa, if, like me, you think Bishop is Tampa’s MVP. Bishop is what we hope Vasi will turn into. I would stay with Bishop and move Vasi for the right return, because I remember well the days before Bishop.

Bishop isn't injury prone in the traditional sense; rather, it almost seems as if he wears down over the course of a season to the point where by the end he is overly fragile and will go down from things that ordinarily wouldn't bother him. It's really weird but it just seems like his body can't withstand the rigors of a full season and postseason. You don't have to worry about him being constantly hurt the way you would a typical injury prone player, but you also can't count on him being healthy when the games matter the most.

Now this doesn't mean we should trade him cheaply - when healthy he still gives us our best chance of winning and the fact that his contract expires right when we need it to means we have no need to trade him unless the return makes us substantially better over the next several seasons - but it also means that signing him to a big deal and letting Vasy go is a risk we simply can't afford to take.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
Dallas:
Schneider

Tampa:
1st 2017 (Dallas)

NJ:
Callahan cap dump
Niemi cap dump
Vasilevki
Spezza

Dallas - Why does Dallas do this? They fix their goaltending problems and gain a little cap space for wiggle room. Simple as that.

Tampa - They signed Stamkos which is great but there are consequences that go along with his contract. Kucherov and Bishop need new contracts and on top of that they have a few important players that need extensions. It's a heavy price to pay but I think they can afford it, having Bishop locked up long term is a priority.

New Jersey - They mainly do this just to please me because I'm not a big Schneider fan. We have a ridiculous amount of cap space and we should take advantage of that. I've always been a big Spezza fan, he has an amazing skill set and I think he could help our offense tremendously. Vasilevki impressed me a lot during the finals, I see a little bit of Eddie the Eagle in him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dallas - Why does Dallas do this? They fix their goaltending problems and gain a little cap space for wiggle room. Simple as that.

Tampa - They signed Stamkos which is great but there are consequences that go along with his contract. Kucherov and Bishop need new contracts and on top of that they have a few important players that need extensions. It's a heavy price to pay but I think they can afford it, having Bishop locked up long term is a priority.

New Jersey - They mainly do this just to please me because I'm not a big Schneider fan. We have a ridiculous amount of cap space and we should take advantage of that. I've always been a big Spezza fan, he has an amazing skill set and I think he could help our offense tremendously. Vasilevki impressed me a lot during the finals, I see a little bit of Eddie the Eagle in him.

:laugh:

well thats rational. why would you be a fan of a top 3-5 goalie in the NHL?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
New Jersey wouldn't want 2 goalies to replace Cory Schneider.
Vasilevskiy would be good for NJ, but NJ wouldn't want Niemi's contract.

Replace Niemi with a defensemen from Dallas.

Niemi would have to go.

This makes Dallas better but trading away Spezza for goaltending seems really strange. Makes more sense for Dallas to cut out NJ and just go for Vasy if Tampa is already losing him in this scenario.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

Luckily your opinion is in the far reaches of the minority.

This "deal" is disgusting and has no basis in reality.

Spezza's not waiving to come to Jersey when Dallas is on the verge. Tampa's not trading Vasilevsky.

You have the Devils taking on 18+ million when all is said and done for 3 guys over the age of 30, 2 of which have NMCs which leaves two more players we have to expose in the expansion draft. Vasilevsky is a VERY nice piece, if we for some reason gave up on Cory and got him in return it'd be easier to swallow, but the sheer ridiculousness of the entirety of your offer ruins any ability to even look at it and not shake your head at the lunacy of it.

Even with Spezza and Callahan, the Devils are not Cup contenders. Without Cory on the backend, our defense will suffer even more. This deal just doesn't make sense.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
NJ: Filppula
Dallas: Josh Jacobs
Tampa: Nichushkin

Nope. Filppula is not an upgrade over what we have and where he would be played for $5M per and being forced to protect him in the expansion draft. We'd be doing Tampa a favor. If we're giving up a prospect defender, we better be getting back a defender (not named Carle) that will be playing immediately, not a guy due $10M over 2 years with an NMC. We have Henrique, Zajac, and potentially Zacha (if hes playing center) down the middle. That's not even mentioning the chance of another young player like Quenneville (another C) making the team. I'd be open to adding to Jacobs to get a better player, but not the deal you have composed here.

Rather see what we have in Jacobs than give him up for what is essentially a lateral move for us and I would argue hurts us since he would be taking minutes away from a young player. Only interested in moving futures if its for larger upgrades, not guys with NMCs who do not provide enough of an upgrade to commit to.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
:laugh:

well thats rational. why would you be a fan of a top 3-5 goalie in the NHL?

it's nothing personal against Cory, he's solid and gingers have been making a strong comeback over the last 5 years or so. I'm just not a fan of his style, he's always down early and relys more on positioning than reflexs. I wanna see him in the playoffs before I say he's a "top 5 goalie".

On top of that I think Vasilevskiy is going to be something special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad