Dallas is a Paper Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I expected disagreement and I appreciate your explanation.

My problem with Benn is that I find his leadership to be lacking. Last playoffs were a prime example. Benn blows a gasket, makes an incredibly bad play, and the team plays better during his two game suspension. He comes back and the team plays worse. There is probably more to the story than what I saw, but that's what I saw.

So when I say he is trash, I don't mean in terms of hockey production, I mean in terms of leadership. If he leads by example, what example was he setting with that play and his comments to the media afterwards? Doesn't sound or look like a Stanley Cup winning captain to me.

DeBoer can get credit for a couple wins in the postseason, sure, and they are hard to come by, but he needs to put together 16 of them in a single postseason. Possible? Maybe? Nothing I have seen from him makes me think he is capable. I do think he is the weakest coach we had at Vegas.

I just don't see Dallas getting there with the kind of leadership they have including their captain and coach. But they can easily prove me wrong this year.
A civil disagreement.....Is that allowed here? ;)

No doubt his meltdown last year was an example of poor leadership. I think he was trying to fire up his team with some big hits, but then he really lost it and took it too far, so you are right about that one. Still, all the Stars players and local press keep telling us that he is their leader, and the team has done pretty well over the last several years, so I can see it either way.

As to coaching, well, PBD has improved the team, and it is true that a coach can't be a Cup winning coach until he actually wins it. The management question is whether they have no chance under PBD and who would be a better replacement? When a team favors recycling old coaches over perhaps promoting the next great coach (although they did with Monty, which I still think would have been the best coach to keep) It is somewhat chemistry, and of course, we all know winning the Cup is the most difficult task in sports.

Those uncertainties are why we watch.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
After watching the series, I can't help but think the Stars are not in a tier with Vegas, Colorado or Edmonton. They likely beat anyone else in the West in a 7-game series though.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Lot of non puck knowers in this thread that talk like they have a clue. Dallas scored two less goals than Vegas this series and are down a game against an elite, above cap team that’s had their number all year. Not a bad bet to say whoever wins this goes to the Final.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
577a5fe691c6a90acaac27f1aa0e97fd.gif

Paper tigers have jumped back into it. Should be a series now.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
My post previous is looking more lucid with each passing day...to call one of the best teams a paper tiger is nonsense....the problem is in Vegas and Dallas, you may very well have the 2 best teams in the league playing right now....with apologies of course to the Avs and Panthers.....

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Has no one learned from when it was 0-2 Vegas... hot takes and predictions like series are done generally don't age well.

Dallas in 7... or maybe Vegas in 7. Or 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad